Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
Tear this one to shreds please!

View attachment 235

Really like the Gray pick. Reckon he's got 115+ potential and he has the round 14 bye (which seems like the round lightest on premiums).

Tend to agree with @Hondo in that Duncan and Smith are the most skeptical picks. What do you think Duncan can average? Danger will be taking his 120 most weeks, and while the cats should get more of the pie this season he might take too many for Duncan to become a genuine midfield premium. You'd think players like Caddy and Motlop should also improve their averages. Stevie has left, but Bartel also missed a chunk of the season and I think he should manage a 95 odd average as well. Having said all that he had shown improvement every season up until his injury, so if you think he can manage to be a premium then who are we to talk you out of it!

At his price you'd probably also want Smith to become a keeper. I don't think he'll play pure ruck and he's never really shown much ability as a forward so I think he'll be a 90-95 averaging player at best. Not sure where I'd get the money to upgrade him. Perhaps Shaw down to a lesser premium, Currie to a cheaper rookie and Smith up to a gun.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
I've tried something completely different for now. In past years the midfield rookies have been much better than on any other lines - that doesn't seem the case this year, so this season could be the one to stack the midfield and not compromise the quality of your rookies too much. I doubt I'll end up going in with this team, but for now I'm loving this midfield!

DEF: Bartel Lonergan Weitering Dea Brown Hartley (Adams Tippa)
MID: Fyfe Danger Pendles Ablett Selwood Rocky Libba Matheison (Keays Phillips Dunkley)
RUC: Goldy Stef (Wyatt)
FWD: Lids Dusty Barlow Wells Kerridge Kommer (Petracca Galucci)

I know the backline is ridiculously weak (trust me I know), but it is generally the poorest scoring line and if the rookies can hold up (particularly D6) I'd happily pump the backline money into the midfield.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
@currymunchers I don't mind your structure at all. There is probably a few more rooks available in the mids and if you decided to gain an extra premo in the backs, it would be just a case of downgrading someone like Selwood and upgrading 1 of the back rooks.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
@currymunchers I don't mind your structure at all. There is probably a few more rooks available in the mids and if you decided to gain an extra premo in the backs, it would be just a case of downgrading someone like Selwood and upgrading 1 of the back rooks.

Yeh that's exactly what I was thinking. Which midfield rookies do you think will get games though? I feel the only big ones I might be missing are Mills and Gresham but Mills is expensive and Gresham is hardly a round 1 lock as it stands. Can't see many rookie locks floating around

Hondo

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 28, 2015
I've tried something completely different for now. In past years the midfield rookies have been much better than on any other lines - that doesn't seem the case this year, so this season could be the one to stack the midfield and not compromise the quality of your rookies too much. I doubt I'll end up going in with this team, but for now I'm loving this midfield!

MID: Fyfe Danger Pendles Ablett Selwood Rocky Libba Matheison (Keays Phillips Dunkley)

I know the backline is ridiculously weak (trust me I know), but it is generally the poorest scoring line and if the rookies can hold up (particularly D6) I'd happily pump the backline money into the midfield.

I've read some question marks on Dea's JS

I worry you've spent $400k on two rookie defenders.

I'd drop Selwood to Kennedy and fix your defence.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Yeh that's exactly what I was thinking. Which midfield rookies do you think will get games though? I feel the only big ones I might be missing are Mills and Gresham but Mills is expensive and Gresham is hardly a round 1 lock as it stands. Can't see many rookie locks floating around

I put Mills in for the first time last night (at M6) and I'm much more comfortable with him on the ground than relying on 3 x 117/123k rookies. He may be this year's Cripps... That 200k unproven kid you look at and think "shit thats expensive" but repays you and then some.

Selwood will be in most sides by mid year... But he shouldn't be in a starting team. Even at his cheaper price, he wont burn you early by not having him when he's still building his match fitness. But he will burn you if he averages 90 for the first 6 weeks, which is entirely possible.

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Your right CM that midfield looks tasty!
I am a little worried on Gary not playing NAB and also the possible role change and drop in ave from last year with Pendles.
Parish and creepy crowley at those prices should be considered in the mids.

GMAT

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Mar 3, 2016
I am interested in thoughts on my current squad
Appreciate any feedback.
Plan is to Goldstein in during the season and use Sinclair as swing option and hopefully f7 once team full premo.
I have 163k in bank.

Def - Shaw, Houli, Laird, Hartley, M Brown, Collins. Byrne-Jones, Adams

Mid- Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Rockliff, Parker, Libba, Mills, Parish. Gresham, Gore, Mathieson

Ruck - Nicnat, Sinclair. Loersch

Fwd- Martin, Barlow, Hall, Wells, Kerridge, Kennedy. Milera, tipungwuti.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
@currymunchers Gore and Parish are a couple of other mid rooks you many want to consider.

@GMAT Nothing wrong with your side. I would reconsider picking up Goldy through the season. He is likely to drop in price, but could still cost you 2 trades when it come times to bring him in and if he goes on a run of high scores like he did last year, you will be a fair way behind.

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
any changes you guys would make? at this stage upload_2016-3-7_13-49-38.png

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
I put Mills in for the first time last night (at M6) and I'm much more comfortable with him on the ground than relying on 3 x 117/123k rookies. He may be this year's Cripps... That 200k unproven kid you look at and think "shit thats expensive" but repays you and then some.

Selwood will be in most sides by mid year... But he shouldn't be in a starting team. Even at his cheaper price, he wont burn you early by not having him when he's still building his match fitness. But he will burn you if he averages 90 for the first 6 weeks, which is entirely possible.

Selwood is definitely speculative but I recall he didn't have a preseason in 2014 either and came out like a steam train (157 140 138 126). Definitely a risk at this stage but if he manages to get through the VFL game unscathed I'd be mighty tempted. Also tempted by Sloane at a similar price. Understand the question marks around him but there aren't too many teams that tag and when he's left free to roam he dominates (plus will shoulder more midfield load with the departure of danger). Selwood down to Mills and a defensive upgrade does seem the logical option though.

Your right CM that midfield looks tasty!
I am a little worried on Gary not playing NAB and also the possible role change and drop in ave from last year with Pendles.
Parish and creepy crowley at those prices should be considered in the mids.

Definitely locking in Ablett regardless of the lack of preseason games. Pendles was answering questions last week (AFL twitter?) and he said he'll play the same role as previously with perhaps more rests forward (due to the interchange cap I assume), so I'm backing him to return to 120+ as well. I think I will need to shuffle some things around to get those premium priced rookies in though.

@Hondo I've gone with the expensive rookies in the backline given their JS. I actually think Dea's JS is rock solid. Won the Richmond VFL B&F last season and looked very composed on the weekend. Given I've gone so shallow, I have to spend that little bit extra to ensure the rookies I get have good JS. I still feel I'll eventually have to get one extra defender premium in but just thought I'd have a toy around with stacking the midfield and get everyone's thoughts

Luke Thompson

Mar 6, 2016

Are you aware that Selwood hasn't run at all this year!

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
any changes you guys would make? at this stage View attachment 236

Pretty well balanced team. Sam Gray is an interesting one. Dominated the end of last year and has done well in the preseason thus far but whether he can consistently deliver good scores with Port's full midfield up and running is yet to be seen. His run of form coincided with Wines' injury and Polec was also missing all season.

Luke Thompson

Mar 6, 2016
pick the eyes out of this one gents. If Brad Crouch plays round one, it will be Menadue up to him, if not, Menadue up to Greene.

Attachments

• march team.png
    march team.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne

Luke Thompson

Mar 6, 2016

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
pick the eyes out of this one gents. If Brad Crouch plays round one, it will be Menadue up to him, if not, Menadue up to Greene.
When you're going THAT light on in defence, you can't rely on D1-D3 being speculative picks. You have to have at least 1, preferably 2, rock solid top 6 defenders in there. Especially when you've got almost 300k banked. Go with one of Sheridan or Lonergan and upgrade the other to an elite defender. I understand the mindset, because that midfield is a cracker to start the year with. But the backline is way too risky and could completely ruin your year.

Also, by going 2 elite rucks but no Goldy, you're resigned to being without him all year. Its pointless starting those 2 and planning to waste a trade to get him in down the track.

It's a good looking team but maybe tinker with that defence a bit more.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne

I would be using some of that left over money to get Goldy at R1. Don't think you can go a whole season without him. While I do think he is probably overpriced, he should still be the clear #1 ruck and locking in 2 premium rucks means you'll be leaking 15 odd points every game.

EDIT: @Steve beat me to it!

Reactions: Steve

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
Pretty well balanced team. Sam Gray is an interesting one. Dominated the end of last year and has done well in the preseason thus far but whether he can consistently deliver good scores with Port's full midfield up and running is yet to be seen. His run of form coincided with Wines' injury and Polec was also missing all season.

yeh that is one i was looking at just as a point of difference

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Shaw, Laird, Kolo, Rampe, M. Brown, Broad (Adams, Hartley)
Danger, Pendles, Ablett, Rockliff, Libba, Mills, Parish, Kennedy (Mathieson, Keays, Gresham)
Goldy, Nicnat (Grimley)
Dusty, Barlow, Greene, Wells, McCarthy, Kerridge (Kommer, Tippa)

Obviously all rookies subject to change.
Thoughts? Backline is looking pretty heavy, considering going Laird -> rookie and then Kennedy -> Gray