Tour de France

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
From Saturday to Friday, only 2 stages aren't for the sprinters, so I will aim to trade sprinters out for the Wednesday stage and then trade sprinters back in for the Thursday and Friday stages.

Reactions: Prospector

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Can't say I'm loving the website. My team was complete. Made one change, now it keeps saying 'team not complete'.

Also, not too sure what I'm doing tactically so will put my team up for you to pull apart:

* Sagan
* Cavendish
* Kittell
* Greipel
* Matthews
* Hansen
* McLay
* Benedetti
* Grmay

Team is Team Sky
Bonus stage is stage 17

EDIT: Logged out and then logged in and voila - team completed!

Last edited:

PiesJosh

Mar 27, 2016
He told me he's doing the expert tips on Unibet's Australian website for the tour (he used to ride for Unibet) so keep an eye on that to find out his thoughts. He is adamant that Nibali is flying and will give it a crack. Will be interesting to see whether the 'official word' is more accurate than the 'insider's word'. Time will tell! Interesting that both Aru and Nibali are $17 with the TAB. That doesn't suggest Nibali is supporting Aru. But it does supports Cookie's claim that 'both will try'.

I've backed Nibali to win the polka dot at $26. He's nutty for stage wins. And has a tendency to drop time early to allow himself to be left alone on the mountains. Don't think he can match Qintana overall.

PiesJosh

Mar 27, 2016
Lone Rangers are in.

I'm running a mini league for our little podcast too. If you have a spare league to join, feel free.
League: Blue and Gold Jersey
Password: batsandballs

Not keen on the amnesty. Only 8 trades makes it so you have to juggle sprinters and climbers more.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
@keffa
As your team is very similar to mine, I have to say it looks pretty good.
Only a thought: your chosen team, Sky, scores 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 points for a rider finishing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. That's not very much when you think that even the 16th rider in a cat.2 stage scores 10 points. So, is the money you paid for Sky worth it? Me - I'm going super cheap with a 3mill team Fortuneo or Bora.

@PiesJosh
Welcome to Lone Rangers. Thanks for the invite to a mini-league but I'm happy with just the SCC one.
Agree about the amnesty. Its a get-out-of-jail-free card.

@Grater
I'll be in it if you post the details. But note that my RCUK team is very much a try-out, second concern to the SBS one. Much like my RDT team v my SCC team

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
At the moment I'm going with Ettix as the team. 7m is a lot of money, but they will score points every stage in the first week. They could have 2 people top 5 in stage 2.

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
I could load up with cheap sprinters like McLay, Holst Enger, Gronewegen etc, but its their first tour and I question how many points they could score.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I agree with @Grater that if you want a decent team Ettix is the one. Wouldn't be surprised if they came away with the most stage wins.
No real GC contender so they are after stage wins: Kittel in the sprints, Tony Martin in the TT, Dan Martin and Alaphilippe in the hilly stages.

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
I've looked at my team with Ettix and without Ettix. And I agree with the above. Is 10 points really worth it when you could get more from a single sprinter?

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll change my team to Ettix too. Didn't understand how it works (first time playing fantasy cycling) so appreciate the assistance.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
@keffa
Not to worry. Last year was the first year for most of us, I think.
Last year was my 2nd year but my first year I was typical newbie: no idea what I was doing, didn't bother to read the rules so didn't understand the scoring or transfers or anything much, picked the riders I liked regardless of the type of stage.
All I would suggest, but I assume you have already done this, is read the rules regarding scoring and transfers.
Mostly I just concentrate on getting riders suited to the particular block of stages. I tend to ignore assist and team points because they are just too small.

Reactions: doddy2731

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
I dunno whether to go Matthews. If Gerrans sucks it up and isn't a wanker, then Matthews will be good, but I just can't see how they both will ride for each other. OGE screwed things up this year between those two considering Matthews is going to Giant Apelcin.

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
Too late now. They have closed it off for stage 1.

Went Dimension Data: Cavendish should get top 5's a lot, plus Boasson-Hagen when there's uphill finishes.

Riders:

Kittel, Sagan, Greipel, Cavendish, Coquard, Theuns, Cimolai, Laporte and Bono.

Hoping Bono gets some top 20's leading out Cimolai. In the end didn't trust McLay, Bennett who has a weak leadout, Gronewegan, Ernst Holger. Theuns was a better option with Cancellara leading him out.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Too late now. They have closed it off for stage 1.

Went Dimension Data: Cavendish should get top 5's a lot, plus Boasson-Hagen when there's uphill finishes.

Riders:

Kittel, Sagan, Greipel, Cavendish, Coquard, Theuns, Cimolai, Laporte and Bono.

Hoping Bono gets some top 20's leading out Cimolai. In the end didn't trust McLay, Bennett who has a weak leadout, Gronewegan, Ernst Holger. Theuns was a better option with Cancellara leading him out.
Closed already? Damn. Then I'm stuck with team sky.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Closed already? Damn. Then I'm stuck with team sky.

You should be able to use one of your 8 transfers to change your team if you don't want Sky. Free up some cash.

Reactions: keffa

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Don't you just love the iridescent Tinkoff outfit?