Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
As people may, or may not, be aware the Tour de France is starting this week-end.
I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting/joining a fantasy league.
There are several fantasy competitions available but the one closest to the form of fantasy we know, with teams salary caps and multiple trades, is run by RoadCyclingUK: http://fantasycycling.roadcyclinguk.com/default.aspx
The prizes aren't great but if you're a bit of a Tour junky, as I am, it's fun.

If there is any interest I'd be willing to start a mini-league , called SuperCoachCoach? Or maybe someone else would like to?
The Tour starts tomorrow night so there isn't much time.

If this post/thread is out of bounds then I trust that one of the administrators will be able to delete it.

Reactions: Fitzroy Guerrilla

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Sounds interesting Rupert, not to sure if i'd be any good as all i know about cycling is they have 2 wheels. May have to pass. :)

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Have tried the sbs tdf comp - didn't like it. The Baron (FG) is a big fan - you'll find a bit of interest about. There's usually some kinda league going here, so go ahead, I'm game Rupert!

Reactions: Fitzroy Guerrilla

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
That's 2 of us Prospector. Need a minimum of 5 for a mini-league. If we can get another 3 players I'll arrange it.

First stage starts 10.00pm Aussie east-coast time so I'd need to know by about 8.00pm to set it all up.
After it is set up anyone can join, even after the start of the race.

Sorry, a bit earlier than that: I'd need to know by about 4.00pm tomorrow as the first trade window closes at 6.00pm.

Last edited:

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
I've gone in the SBS one in the past and got a stupidly high result in my first year!

Shame that they aren't running one this year. I've got a mate who has entered a few other comps and invited me but not sure if I am as keen to figure out all the nuances of the different comps.

Might have a quick look at this one.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Pretty straight forward FG if a bit complicated to start with. I'll do my best to explain.
All up you have 65m Euros to spend on 9 riders and a team. Then you get points for where your riders finish on each stage with extra points for taking and/or holding one of the jerseys, points/mtn/overall.
You also choose a bonus stage which scores double points for you. The best bonus stages are the mtn ones towards the end of the tour as by then you know which riders are likely to finish in the first few of the stage.

Once you have chosen your team you get 8 trades each week (roughly): stages 1 - 7, stages 8 - 14, stages 15 - 21.
The idea is to start with the riders best suited to the opening stages and slowly adjust your team to the changing conditions of the race.
So you tend to start with sprinters and end up with the overall contenders and climbers. Helps if you know the riders.

It's all explained here: http://fantasycycling.roadcyclinguk.com/default.aspx?page=rules

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Can't remember the SBS one. Know I played it. Definitely played this last year.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
The way you explained it Rupert makes it sound pretty straight forward. If you need another for numbers i'll give it a rip, wont be great by any stretch of the imagination but will have go.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Good on ya, doddy. As far as I can tell people can join a mini-league any time up until 20 July. Even if they don't enter their team until after the start of Stage 1. I didn't have a team until after stage 2 last year and it didn't matter that much.
So I've set up a mini-league.
Name: SuperCoachCoach (Hope Marcus and FBdonkey don't mind)
Password: AFL4Ever
Hopefully we'll get more interest. Between me, you, Prospector and, maybe, FG and perhaps FG's friend we'll have the minimum 5 teams. Be good to have more.

I'm not an expert doddy. I first played last year and made the typical newby mistakes.
If you like I'll try to provide whatever insights I can - but be aware I am still learning.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Sou
Good on ya, doddy. As far as I can tell people can join a mini-league any time up until 20 July. Even if they don't enter their team until after the start of Stage 1. I didn't have a team until after stage 2 last year and it didn't matter that much.
So I've set up a mini-league.
Name: SuperCoachCoach (Hope Marcus and FBdonkey don't mind)
Password: AFL4Ever
Hopefully we'll get more interest. Between me, you, Prospector and, maybe, FG and perhaps FG's friend we'll have the minimum 5 teams. Be good to have more.

I'm not an expert doddy. I first played last year and made the typical newby mistakes.
If you like I'll try to provide whatever insights I can - but be aware I am still learning.

Sounds good, i'll sign up this arvo, out on site at the moment.

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I've accepted Maulers and Prospector SCC into the mini-league but they say it might take up to 24hrs for your teams to appear.
Don't forget to save your completed teams, including the bonus stage. Note that the bonus stage cannot be changed once the Tour starts.

A bit over 1hr to start time.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I've accepted Maulers and Prospector SCC into the mini-league but they say it might take up to 24hrs for your teams to appear.
Don't forget to save your completed teams, including the bonus stage. Note that the bonus stage cannot be changed once the Tour starts.

A bit over 1hr to start time.

Done and Done. The Maulers aren't much for riding if it doesn't have a motor! But will stick their teeth into it as a little competitive once it kicks off!

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
I want Contador to kill the initial time trial - have selected this as my special stage. Earlier you use it, sooner you get a jump ...

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
I'm in. Looks the same as the old SBS engine.

Haven't done any research this year so just made a team to hopefully suit tonight's stage and chose that as the bonus stage.

Reactions: Prospector