Trades & SC 2016

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Daniel Rich thoughts? Before Hanley came back last year he was averaging 93, then 72 after he came back. I don't think that's a coincidence. Does Redden leaving open up a good position for Rich to fill? At 436k in defence it's hard not to look at Rich

Your thoughts?

+Brodie Smith to get more time in midfield with Dangerfield gone? or will that just be filled with Crouch and Smith to play same role? I'm thinking even with Crouch returning Danger's a big hole to fill

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Daniel Rich thoughts? Before Hanley came back last year he was averaging 93, then 72 after he came back. I don't think that's a coincidence. Does Redden leaving open up a good position for Rich to fill? At 436k in defence it's hard not to look at Rich

Your thoughts?

+Brodie Smith to get more time in midfield with

Maybe, and I think that's the issue, and his scores yo yo from week to week. At that price I'm looking at someone with a definite role and for $40k more i like Docherty more top score of 147 but also a low of 54. the upside to Docherty is that he's young on the improve and I think this year can be around that 92+ avg. Each year he has improved from a 52 in '13' to last years 87.
Then there also Yeo and Hibberd at the same price as Rich and I think their roles are more entrenched, Rich really seems to be a swingman which at times can hurt scoring potential. Which we saw last year.

I'm liking Smith this year, he really finished last season well (excl. R23) and should be watched closely over pre-season for $415k he is well under priced.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
My question to you is will you start Shaw?
I'm not I think being full price he can be picked up cheaper into the season, he is know for slow starts, and in his last few seasons struggled to average 100 early let alone 110+ or there abouts.

Your thought?

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
My question to you is will you start Shaw?
I'm not I think being full price he can be picked up cheaper into the season, he is know for slow starts, and in his last few seasons struggled to average 100 early let alone 110+ or there abouts.

Your thought?
That was going to be my next question, at the moment all my teams have him just because if you go down the list of defenders, I don't trust anyone else to supply me with an average of over 100, be it 110 or 101, apart from Shaw and McVeigh. Maybe Boyd but he's old so there's questionmarks... Just because Shaw seems to be that far ahead of the pack I'm finding it hard to leave him out... If I do leave him out it'll be Boyd I bring in for D1 (already have McVeigh D2 in all my rough sides so far, he's the lock for me)Screenshot_6.png

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Shaw, McVeigh, Bartel, Smith is what the backline premiums look like currently

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
+I can't see Shaw, McVeigh and Boyd fluctuating prices massively where as Rance, Houli, Simpson, McDonald etc. You might get 'value for money' by starting with them and they improve average... However I'm sure there'll be a point in the season when they drop down 100k less than their starting value after a bad patch so you can pick them up for a bargain later, where as the 3 guys I listed before, don't see them having 3-4 week bad patches or dropping more than 50k than their starting price, so even if there's not technically value in the selection based off average, people who pick them up later will still have to pay big money

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
My top players for each position are very much locked in... To simplify this I'm counting Libba as a premium

Def: Shaw $607,800, McVeigh $542,600, Bartel $470,400, B.Smith $415,500
Mid:pendles $627,200, Ablett $623,200, Selwood $565,500, Rockliff $551,000, Libba $357,300
Ruc: Martin $597,600, Sinclair $409,500
Fwd: Martin $569,300, Bennell $548,600, Barlow $505,300.00

My question being should I have:
-Watson (Or other cheap premo) in M5 (between Rocky and Libba) and a cheap rookie up forward (Means fielding 3 fwd rookies)
OR
-Crouch in M6 (After Libba before rookies) and another 300k up forward in F4 (Like Dale Thomas)
OR
-Rookie in M6 (After Libba, field 3 mid rookies) and another Premium Forward in F4

Basically is it better to
-field 2 mid rookies and 3 fwd with 6 mid premiums and 3 fwd premiums
-field 2 mid rookies and 2 fwd rookies with 2 midpricers
-field 3 mid rookies and 2 fwd rookies with 5mid premiums and 4 fwd premiums

Tono

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Veterans
May 2, 2015
My top players for each position are very much locked in... To simplify this I'm counting Libba as a premium

Basically is it better to
-field 2 mid rookies and 3 fwd with 6 mid premiums and 3 fwd premiums
-field 2 mid rookies and 2 fwd rookies with 2 midpricers
-field 3 mid rookies and 2 fwd rookies with 5mid premiums and 4 fwd premiums

Tend to run more mid rookies and minimise them fwd/def here. Historically I've found that you will be able to find 3 mid rooks that will outscore/average the best fwd/def options - 3 mid rookies and 2 fwd rookies with 5mid premiums and 4 fwd premiums would be the go.

The 3 prem, 2 mid price, 3 rook starting midfield looks a real option this year - with 2 of Libba, Crouch, Jaeger as the mid pricers (assuming they are good to go). Leaves a stack of coin for the other lines.

Last edited:

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Bird to the Bombers, I like that. Bird could really be a POD in the midfield. He will get playing time you would think.
Warming to the idea of Bird quite a bit now, 350k with the dpp mid/fwd, could be a very nice F4 if I go down the path of having the midfield structure 4/2/2 and forward structure of 3/1/2

Surely he plays a ball-getting role not a tagging role like he did at times in Sydney? Gametime shouldn't be a problem, he's a versatile player so will play games, just hopefully that midfield time stays up

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Thoughts? I will definitely swap around the rookies a fair bit, same with premiums but I'm pretty happy with roughly how this looks for the moment.

Supercoach.png

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
F4 would be about right if you can afford to have him there, but theres such great value in the Mids and Fwrd line this year I wouldn't bother trying to squeeze him in.
Yeah will be going Bird instead I think, just posted my current team set up

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Warming to the idea of Bird quite a bit now, 350k with the dpp mid/fwd, could be a very nice F4 if I go down the path of having the midfield structure 4/2/2 and forward structure of 3/1/2

Surely he plays a ball-getting role not a tagging role like he did at times in Sydney? Gametime shouldn't be a problem, he's a versatile player so will play games, just hopefully that midfield time stays up

You would think he'd get heaps of time, but I really am now the opposite. Not to sure if he will get enough of the ball, the Dons have picked him for a reason, and knowing that he has a run with role before that just maybe why they got him. Time will tell.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Tend to run more mid rookies and minimise them fwd/def here. Historically I've found that you will be able to find 3 mid rooks that will outscore/average the best fwd/def options - 3 mid rookies and 2 fwd rookies with 5mid premiums and 4 fwd premiums would be the go.

The 3 prem, 2 mid price, 3 rook starting midfield looks a real option this year - with 2 of Libba, Crouch, Jaeger as the mid pricers (assuming they are good to go). Leaves a stack of coin for the other lines.

Totally agree, there is so much value in the Mids and Fwrds this year.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Burger apparently is struggling with that achilles injury, maybe a good sign to stay away already. I've changed my mind on him he wont be starting in my team.
Starting with 2 premo Rucks now for a set and forget. Don't need another Ding Dong in my team this year.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Thoughts? I will definitely swap around the rookies a fair bit, same with premiums but I'm pretty happy with roughly how this looks for the moment.

View attachment 182

I like the backline I'm still not convinced on paying top $$$ for Shaw but I also have him in at the moment too, I'm not sold on Bartell either I'm leaning toward Mal and that extra $90k or so you save you could use in the Ruck and put someone like Blics or Nic Nat.
I'm having a serious think about Whitecross in the backline atm, under $200k he will play but once again all about fitness (one to watch).
I like the Mids nice and deep I'm looking at Jager for my mid pricer with Libba.
I'm not sure about Bennell, Freo is either going to make him or break him. I'm not sure how he fits in down there, and having Barlow there already I just don't know about 2 Freo lads in the same line together, especially forwards their not know for big scores.

Most teams I've seen haven't had Pendles so in my eyes he's almost a POD, but that's just what I've seen.