Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I think the safety in using the ruck loophole is in having only 2 players on-field. Use one non-playing ruck for the emergency and the other either may have already played or is unlikely to be a late out.
With the mids there is always a chance of a late out as you need to have 7 on-field with the 8th for the loophole. If one is a late out then you need to put the "e" on 2 bench mids. All right if you take it from the rucks where 2 have already played but still....

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Say what now? Really, I had NFI.

But, if you put the E on 2 players and only have 1 zero scoring player on field, you will get the lowest E score....
Yes in this way you have a small chance of getting a worse outcome.

In my example above I had Pendles playing the first game of the round, Meyers (out injured) in the second last game of the round and Danger in the last game of the round. Let's say I also have SPP on my bench (and Port is playing Collingwood in the first game of the round) and also Beams on field with Brissy playing late in the round. Pendles scores 160 and SPP scores 85. I want put Meyers on field with the "C" and Danger on the bench with "E". Then I find out Beams is a late out. I can't put a second "E" on SPP because he's already played so I have to put Danger on field with the "C". Danger scores 100 and I've cost myself 60 points.

But you have to take into account because I have my donut in the midfield I don't have a donut at R3. If Sandi is a late out rather than Beams I have an "E" on Witts or Cameron and end up +80 or +45 points.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Say what now? Really, I had NFI.

But, if you put the E on 2 players and only have 1 zero scoring player on field, you will get the lowest E score....

It's not something that you would set up for but it's handy if you have a late out and already need the emerg score from that line. You can move an emerg from another line to the one where you need the second emerg. Ive actually been required to do this in the past.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Do we need a thread on loopholing?

It can't be quite confusing
It certainly can. Many newer players are aware of the captain loophole but not the emergency one.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Say I have Pendles playing in the first game of the round and Danger playing in the last game of the round. Also I have David Meyers (for the sake of the exercise playing in the second last game).

Pendles scores 160 so I put Meyers on the field (with the "C") and Danger on the bench (with the "E").

Pendles scores 85 and Meyers stays on the bench and Danger comes on to the field (with the "C").

Either way there is no chance of missing out in Pendles or Dangers scores, right? I feel like I must be being dense because I've seen you make the point a couple of times about not liking the midfield donut but I don't think I understand ...
hmm you have made me think......

If Pendles scores 160 so I put Meyers on the field (with the "C") and Danger on the bench (with the "E") you eat a donut if Danger misses the game

if Pendles scores 85 and Meyers stays on the bench and Danger comes on to the field (with the "C") then if another player misses you get a donut

I like using the fwds or backs as mids will score a higher % of your overall score than backs or fwds

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Nope, you can have more than one emergency score count on any one line..
If you have 2 emergencies then you get the lowest score

If i have Pendles, Hanners, Titch, Swallow, Beams, JOM, Bont and Meyers with Danger, SPP and Barett on the bench

If Danger (E) plays last game, Meyers 2nd last, SPP scores 30 and Barett (E) 25. Pendles scores 160 as C so you keep Danger on the bench and Meyers as the C. Then you get Baretts score instead of Dangers score. If another player misses then you get Dangers score

IS that correct??

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
I think the safety in using the ruck loophole is in having only 2 players on-field. Use one non-playing ruck for the emergency and the other either may have already played or is unlikely to be a late out.
With the mids there is always a chance of a late out as you need to have 7 on-field with the 8th for the loophole. If one is a late out then you need to put the "e" on 2 bench mids. All right if you take it from the rucks where 2 have already played but still....
Yes but there are a couple of rookie rucks that could get a game R1 to make some cash and have a backup. Then put Strnadica as a FWD

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
If you have 2 emergencies then you get the lowest score

If i have Pendles, Hanners, Titch, Swallow, Beams, JOM, Bont and Meyers with Danger, SPP and Barett on the bench

If Danger (E) plays last game, Meyers 2nd last, SPP scores 30 and Barett (E) 25. Pendles scores 160 as C so you keep Danger on the bench and Meyers as the C. Then you get Baretts score instead of Dangers score. If another player misses then you get Dangers score

IS that correct??

That's correct.

I would never have 2 emergencies set up on the one line. The one time I needed two emergencies I moved the 2nd E from another line when I heard that the 2nd player was a late out and I didn't have enough time to move them to the bench.
In this case both emergency scores counted but when you only need the one emergency score it's the lowest score that counts.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
That's correct.

I would never have 2 emergencies set up on the one line. The one time I needed two emergencies I moved the 2nd E from another line when I heard that the 2nd player was a late out and I didn't have enough time to move them to the bench.
In this case both emergency scores counted but when you only need the one emergency score it's the lowest score that counts.
And what if all marked emergencies in the other lines had played? We are talking about 2 games to go in the round, you are looking at a donut and Danger on the bench. Most teams dont have any rookies starting in the mids but do in the fwds and backs. If you use a fwd or back rookie then then you only miss out on a rookie score rather than a prem score

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
If Pendles scores 160 so I put Meyers on the field (with the "C") and Danger on the bench (with the "E") you eat a donut if Danger misses the game
True. If Danger is out late enough that I can't get a "E" onto SPP as well (which is pretty likely) then I end up down the 85points I would have got from SPP.

if Pendles scores 85 and Meyers stays on the bench and Danger comes on to the field (with the "C") then if another player misses you get a donut
Fairly good chance in this instance that I have a chance to reset my emergencies but you're right this is a risk as well. As you acknowledge the same thing can happen on the other lines as well but is probably a little less likely and a little less costly.

Reactions: tabs

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
And what if all marked emergencies in the other lines had played? We are talking about 2 games to go in the round, you are looking at a donut and Danger on the bench. Most teams dont have any rookies starting in the mids but do in the fwds and backs. If you use a fwd or back rookie then then you only miss out on a rookie score rather than a prem score

I think that you've misunderstood me as I only mentioned that 2 emergency scores can be used on the one line because someone stated that you can't. I don't think this has much relevance in relation to using a loop hole for the reasons that you state. You can't rely on being able to move an E from another line.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
True. If Danger is out late enough that I can't get a "E" onto SPP as well (which is pretty likely) then I end up down the 85points I would have got from SPP.
Correct but if you are down to the final 2 games of the round, what happens if you dont have a spare "E" to put on Danger, as all your other Emergencies have already played. You end up with a prem on the bench not counting towards your score or play danger as the C (not that there is anything wrong with that). If you want to use the loophole, do you put the "E" on Meyers and then take the donut if some one else misses

Dons have 15 games on either Sat night or later which is good for the loophole and Fremantle have the most games on Sunday or later.

Please note its fine if you dont use the loophole and all im saying is that i would rather use F8 as the loophole as my starting mids are prems and mid pricers whilst my starting fwds are prems, mid pricer and rookies.

Apologies to the powers that be for hijacking the thread

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Correct but if you are down to the final 2 games of the round, what happens if you dont have a spare "E" to put on Danger, as all your other Emergencies have already played. You end up with a prem on the bench not counting towards your score or play danger as the C (not that there is anything wrong with that). If you want to use the loophole, do you put the "E" on Meyers and then take the donut if some one else misses

Dons have 15 games on either Sat night or later which is good for the loophole and Fremantle have the most games on Sunday or later.

Please note its fine if you dont use the loophole and all im saying is that i would rather use F8 as the loophole as my starting mids are prems and mid pricers whilst my starting fwds are prems, mid pricer and rookies.

Apologies to the powers that be for hijacking the thread
Thx for all the explaining. :)

mdola2

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '19
Feb 24, 2016
New patron of the podcast, how do I access the exclusive forum?

Brky

Aspiring Coach
Jun 12, 2015
I wonder if maybe 2017 isn't the year for deliberate donuts to start out the season. Generally we have 2-3 on field rookies which gives us a total of 5-6 so losing 1 for a permanent loop isn't that bad. But with the strategy looking like it's to go very deep in the mids with 1 or even 0 starting rookies in the mids I would be concerned there wouldn't be enough cash generation to sit a player on the pine that doesn't have any growth.

For me the answer really has to be, tie in the C loop to another player other than danger or any premo mid for at least the first part of the season. Eg: gawn with a 0 score dpp r3.

We could go into the nitty gritty. But with an abundance of players like swallow/omeara/heppell/Murphy etc I'd say there a deficit of about 300-400k cash generation in the mids compared to previous seasons that I'm not comfortable compounding by adding a perma donut at m11

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I wonder if maybe 2017 isn't the year for deliberate donuts to start out the season. Generally we have 2-3 on field rookies which gives us a total of 5-6 so losing 1 for a permanent loop isn't that bad. But with the strategy looking like it's to go very deep in the mids with 1 or even 0 starting rookies in the mids I would be concerned there wouldn't be enough cash generation to sit a player on the pine that doesn't have any growth.

For me the answer really has to be, tie in the C loop to another player other than danger or any premo mid for at least the first part of the season. Eg: gawn with a 0 score dpp r3.

We could go into the nitty gritty. But with an abundance of players like swallow/omeara/heppell/Murphy etc I'd say there a deficit of about 300-400k cash generation in the mids compared to previous seasons that I'm not comfortable compounding by adding a perma donut at m11
Funny you should say that. I haven't had a donut if my draft team for the last week or so. Danger C for the first couple of week after which time one of my rookies will probably have got injured or dropped and maybe they can be a donut. Otherwise downgrade to a donut after about six weeks. Could definitely backfire but could pay off. Might be a better plan for leagues than for overall.