Rookies 2016

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I like Ellis too @Dino . Not so sure on whether B.Scott will play a rookie early, but I reckon you'd have a better feel on that than I. Clarke definitely showed a bit.

Howe is a real chance for early game time at the Hawks. He was drafted as an 'overage' u/18 player before last season, so is the same age as a third-year player now. Played some nice senior footy last year and was brilliant at Box Hill. Can play half-back or mid and is a neat user of the footy.

Reactions: Dino and cactus

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Suns can upgrade one player if they want. Hopefully MacPherson gets upgraded, showed some talent

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Is Mills going to be this year's Cripps...
if he stays fit. dont think he will play the full 22 after hardly playing last year, but he should have a full time roll coming off HB

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Lincoln McCarthy named for Friday night, has a fair bit of talent, small forward spot up for grabs at Geelong,

Reactions: Fbdonkey

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
After the successful starts of Sydney and Adelaide teenagers Callum Mills and Wayne Milera last weekend, all eyes will be on GWS newcomers Jacob Hopper and Matthew Kennedy tonight.

The pair, the first two Giants academy players selected in last year’s national draft, have been named in the GWS squad to play a strong Western Bulldogs outfit in Canberra in the opening round of the NAB Challenge.

Swans academy star Mills, 18, made a sensational debut last week, playing across half-back against Port Adelaide in a performance described as “great” by co-captain and stand-in coach Jarrad McVeigh. And Crows midfielder Milera, 18, showed outstanding poise and polish against an undermanned Eagles side last Sunday.

Both players, who were first-round selections in last year’s national draft, are pressing for early inclusions in the premiership season, which starts on the Thursday before Easter.

Hopper, 19, and Kennedy, 18, were taken by the Giants with selections No 7 and No 13 last year, with GWS then continuing to stick with their academy players by selecting key forward Harrison Himmelberg at 16 and ruckman Matthew Flynn at 41. Himmelberg has also been named in tonight’s 29-man squad, which will be trimmed to 26.

Tonight’s contest could further push the impact the northern academies are having, with Brisbane similarly happy with their two academy players, Eric Hipwood, a key forward in the making, and the more advanced half-forward-midfielder Ben Keays, who has progressed strongly in the early months of his first year.

According to several experts who identify young talent for a living, Hopper is a midfield star in the making, with Kennedy not far behind him in the ratings leading up to last year’s draft.

Academies and father-sons aside in an uncompromised draft, most recruiters had Mills as their No 1 pick, followed by Hopper at No 2.

It’s early days but Hopper and Kennedy are tipped to become at least the equal of the highly talented and highly sought-after Adam Treloar, who joined Collingwood last October despite Richmond’s late attempt to attract the midfielder.

One veteran club recruiting manager yesterday told The Australian that Hopper was “a carbon copy of Joel Selwood”, while Kennedy reminded him of a young Nat Fyfe — deceptively strong overhead as well as being highly skilled on both sides of his body.

GWS coach Leon Cameron yesterday announced Stephen Coniglio as tonight’s captain because he was the “ultimate team man”.

With co-captains Callan Ward and Phil Walsh being rested and other Giants including Heath Shaw, Ryan Griffen and Steve Johnson not playing, Coniglio was given the nod. Cameron said Coniglio’s leadership and tough playing style made him a standout to lead the team and press for a spot in its leadership group to be announced next month.

“He has a good demeanour with the coaches and players, he’s well respected, he’s hard at it and puts his head over the footy,” Cameron said. “He leads by example, he tackles and he’s an ultimate team man. I think it’s just great for Stephen to have that opportunity and responsibility of captaining the side for the first time in an official AFL game.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/37b0ad012c530357582ef60a85bc5338

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
@Prospector Im pretty sure there were draft experts who (separately) had both Hopper and Kennedy as their highest rated players in last year's draft. Pretty scary list the Giants are building!

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Issue for me is that GWS doesn't seem to like playing their rookies.
2015: Picket - 0 games; Marchbank - 5; Ahern - 0; McKenna - 0; Steele - 7
2014: Boyd - 9; Kelly - 18; McCarthy - 1; Lobb - 2
2013: Whitfield - 19; O'Rourke - 1; Ploughman - 6; Jaksch - 2; Corr - 10
So only Kelly and Whitfield got many games and, yes, I realize that injury, position played and lack of form/ability account for something. But both Pickett and Ahern had big wraps and didn't get a game.
It may be different this year with the turnover of players. And the fact that both Hopper and Kennedy are academy players means that they know the Giants system.
But I'm still wary.

Hondo

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 28, 2015
Rupert I have the same concern.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
I have similar thoughts @Rupert

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Agree Rupert. They certainly didn't show enough last night to say they're going to be an exception. Maybe 3-6 games but that's it, especially if the Giants are pushing towards finals.

The dilemma for the Giants is whether these guys will learn much in the NEAFL? I suspect that's a big factor in some of these young guys not progressing in the Northern state teams as quickly as we might have thought.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Doubt he would come in as an out and out ruck... Id say him and Moore are fighting for one spot.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Love yer work, doddy. Costello to my Abbot (no talk of Bishops or Cardinals).

Reactions: doddy2731