Rookies 2016

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Jarred Jansen is built for supercoach, very much in the Cripps mold (though not as good obviously), Geelong were trying him in a bunch of different roles last season in VFL don't think Brisbane will overthink him, I reckon they'll stick him on the ball and let him do his thing.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Some backs I'm interested in are:
Essendon: A Francis - played in SANFL last year; M Brown and Hartley - both mature-age with good years in VFL; A Morgan - 20yo with decent U18 and TAC
North: M Hibberd - 19yo with decent U18/TAC
Richmond: N Broad - 22yo, av. 87SC in WAFL
Bulldogs: K Collins - didn't lose a one-on-one in the u18s but also got the ball; Adams - 22yo, av.91SC in WAFL.

All but Francis v cheap at $117,300 and all with good chance of games, I think.
On Broad: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-17/broads-odds-narrowing-for-round-one-tiger-debut-

I don't think there are any cheap fwds I am interested in but there are a few mids:
Brisbane: Keays and Matthieson. In an interview it sounded like Matthieson was more likely to play than Keays
Geelong: Menegola - 24yo with 143SC av in WAFL
Hawthorn: K Lovell - v good SC in U18/TAC and built to play but will he?
Sainters: J Gresham - 134/146 SC in U18/TAC last year. Enough said. The future of the Saints.

EDIT: Sorry, one rookie fwd/mid in S Kerridge of Carlton. How could I forget him?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKev

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Reckon Broad is sounding real promising. Mature age, ready to go.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Francis is expensive but does look the type to hit the ground running, Like the look of the Bulldogs pair but looks like they love to rotate the youth through the team.
Byrne from Carlton is one to watch, highly rated and i believe over his injury worries, a year in the system helps the confidence with him a bit..

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Byrne from Carlton is one to watch, highly rated and i believe over his injury worries, a year in the system helps the confidence with him a bit..
Only problem is that Byrne is still a rookie and unless promoted unlikely to get games.

Reactions: Tevez17

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Broad seems to be this year's Kmac. Fingers crossed.

Menegola won't play AFL unless a whole heap of mids get injured. There's a lot of guys in front of him for a spot in that midfield.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
I have seen Hibberd in a few sides. I just can't see him breaking into the Kanagas backline unless there are injuries. Thompson, Tippet, MacMillan, Firrito, Tarrant and Wright will hopefully form a formidable back 6

HoneyBadger

Patron '16
Patron '19
Feb 16, 2016
I have seen Hibberd in a few sides. I just can't see him breaking into the Kanagas backline unless there are injuries. Thompson, Tippet, MacMillan, Firrito, Tarrant and Wright will hopefully form a formidable back 6

Yep he's competing for a rebounding defender spot behind Atley, Wright & MacMillan.
We already have too many Tall Defenders, I dont think Spud Firroto is in our best 22 anymore.

Plus Brad Scott is like Ross Lyon with playing Rookies....

Speaking of Freo, keep an eye out for #40 Sam Collins tomorrow night.

Mature 21yr old key defender from Box Hill. Can ruck and play forward too...

Reactions: M4TT B8S

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I guess Kerridge was in pretty much every serious side already but he apparently absolutely smashed it in the first NAB game ...

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Looks like Byrne didn't get a run ... doesn't seem to have recorded a stat at any rate.
I only watched the game for maybe half a quarter but he didn't touch the ground till after half time, 6 touches 1 mark and 1 tackle

I'm not sure how much gametime he got

Reactions: cactus

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Byrne was definitely on. He just got nowhere near it at all. He was in my very first draft but hasn't been in my side since. And won't be at all now.

Kerridge has been a no brainer all along but tonight he will go from 35% ownership to 60. Watch everyone sook and moan when he averages 70 instead of scoring 120 every week. No Cripps or Murphy tonight but it was good to see him get to the right spots and win his own ball. Absolute lock.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Byrne was definitely on. He just got nowhere near it at all. He was in my very first draft but hasn't been in my side since. And won't be at all now.
in that case I must've heard the commentators wrong, I wasn't really watching

I will happily take a 70 avg with a few higher scores thrown in. It's not like he will be apart of most sides for very long any way.
I'd be really really happy with a 70 average from a forward rookie that costs 137k too, I'd be disappointed if it were Wells or Simpkin, but Kerridge is a ripper if he averages 70, I probably expect around a 75-80 average but will be happy to field any average over 70 up forward for the first 6-7 rounds or so

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Looking at Collingwood's intraclub, I know Macaffer wouldn't tag his own teammates so can't read into this too much, but he was lining up at half forward very often, and when he was in the centre bounce then he was proactive not blocking (lining up on Taylor Adams often during centre bounces but definitely wasn't blocking him, was trying to get his own hands on the pill)

I know this is the wrong thread but Pendles took a couple kick-ins and from what I could see wasn't in heaps of centre bounces+Treloar wasn't playing