Defenders 2016

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Lonergan injury history not a worry? Has a really big soft tissue history. Might become an expensive loophole option rather than bench cover.
Re Lonergan:
Interesting info in this profile piece -
http://m.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2015-01-23/lonergan-up-for-the-fight-

Mitch Hallahan spoken about as the main emerging inside mid competition. Does contain positive info about Lonergan's pre season and fitness levels. I'm pretty sure I read he elected not to take a break over and stayed on the track between season. Dropped a few kilos in weight.

Reactions: currymunchers

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Wondering why there hasn't been much talk about Heath Shaw, does everybody consider him a lock? will he be able to back up last season, can he play all 22 games, is 607k too much for a defender?!

Thoughts community? who's going into the season with or without him?

For me it's either Shaw & Sheridan or two 90 Avg defenders, still undecided!

Reactions: Nofunatall

camloch

Super Coach
Apr 24, 2015
Leppa said in askthecoach on afl fb that Cutler and Mayes will play off halfback this year, and looking at his nab stats, I think it might be true.
In the same group of questions he also said Harwood and C. Beams will play off half back.

Last edited:

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Wondering why there hasn't been much talk about Heath Shaw, does everybody consider him a lock? will he be able to back up last season, can he play all 22 games, is 607k too much for a defender?!

My plan is to get Shaw later. $600k is a lot for a defender ...

Reactions: Dino

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne

I'm actually struggling to spend my money at the moment. I've got Shaw and Fyfe and Goldy and I've somehow still got 300K in the bank wondering what to do with it. So many bargains in the midfield (and so many question marks over the top forwards) might be making people feel OK about the big spend for Shaw.

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Can someone give me a motivational speach on why i should pick Daniel Rich

mdola2

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '19
Feb 24, 2016
Can someone give me a motivational speach on why i should pick Daniel Rich
He got talked up by the boys on the podcast and it feels like many jumped on after that (myself included). The more I think about it though, we've been waiting for years for Rich to "breakout" and he's never quite got there. Perhaps he is just a good solid 80-90 player? Having said that though at this stage I am starting with him, figure that one out.. o_O

I'll leave it to people more informed than me to convince you about his increased midfield minutes and the lack of Beams that will potentially increase his scoring and then others to chime in to rebut with how poorly Rich will handle a tag.

mdola2

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '19
Feb 24, 2016
I'll also add that for his starting price, you could do worse than average 90. So he may not set the world on fire but as long as he stays fit you won't be too disappointed by him.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Is starting Bartel, Selwood and Danger investing to much in the Geelong premiums?

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Is starting Bartel, Selwood and Danger investing to much in the Geelong premiums?
Not in the sense that all have an excellent scoring history and the Cats have a ripping draw. However Selwood's injuries and Bartel's age + another head knock in NAB 1 have me skipping them for now. Danger has to be locked in to every serious side. I wouldn't talk anyone out of taking all 3 however.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Im starting 2 of the 3. If GAJ somehow doesnt get up for round 1, it will be all 3. No bias at all.

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Hoping a Crows supporter can offer some insight. Whats the go with Andy Otten? I had him in the 1st draft of my side but somehow forgot about him and forgot to keep an eye on him during the preseason. Obviously injured last year. How is he tracking for this year?

148K and might offer some relief with the uncertainty on def rookies.

Reactions: brenna

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Hoping a Crows supporter can offer some insight. Whats the go with Andy Otten? I had him in the 1st draft of my side but somehow forgot about him and forgot to keep an eye on him during the preseason. Obviously injured last year. How is he tracking for this year?

Not a crows supporter but looks like Cheney and Hartigan are in front of him at the moment, could be a decent downgrade option if he plays well and stays fit in the sanfl.

writeoff

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Somewhere in time

Injury update from afc.com.au
Four Crows are set to play their first games of the year this weekend.
Riley Knight, Charlie Cameron, Andy Otten and Ricky Henderson will all be available to return to action on Saturday at AFL or SANFL level.
Emerging forwards Knight (ankle) and Cameron (knee) re-joined main training last week, while defenders Otten (knee) and Henderson (back) have completed a ‘mini pre-season’ in preparation for Round One.

And from last week's injury update:
Defenders Andy Otten and Ricky Henderson are also expected to put their hands up for selection.
Otten (knee) and Henderson (back) both had surgery before Christmas, but have been back in full training for several weeks.
“Andy Otten and Ricky Henderson have effectively done a mini pre-season over the last 6-8 weeks,” Burton said.
“Medically, they’ve been cleared and from a loading point of view they’re really building some good fitness.
"They’re on track for Round One as well.”

It is difficult to get a gauge on who will play as the 2nd tall defender for Adelaide (Talia is clearly #1).
Jake Lever is 193cm but only in his second season and is not strong enough yet for that role every week. He can play as the third tall.
Cheney is only 186cm but has shown in the past that he plays well against taller opponents. However he doesn't have the talent some of the others do.
Hartigan (193cm) has the size and strength to play as a KPD but makes about 2 stupid errors every game. I cringe and pray every time he has the ball in his hands. Talent is limited.
Otten is 194cm and can play as a swing man forward and back. He has more talent than Cheney and Hartigan and IMO is best 22 if fit.

The question becomes whether Talia, Otten and Lever can hold the defense together? In that scenario Lever would probably play as the 2nd KPD and Otten as a third tall who roams a lot more (ie is looser on his opponent).
But the Crows are on their fourth coach in just over 12 months so who really knows how they will line up.
If Otten is named I will start him.

Reactions: jibba and doddy2731

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Thanks brenna and writeoff for the research and in-depth reply. Appreciated. He is appealing.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I would have thought if he's fit that he would have been in front of Cheney and Hartigan who are solid citizens but not much more than that. Otten is more talented but we haven't seen him for a couple of years.

If he's picked, I might go with him.