Defenders 2016

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Who can we actually trust out of the high end defenders?

1. Shaw never plays 22 games, 607k for Heath Shaw who only ever averaged over 110 for half a season in 11 years no thanks
2. Boyd won't play more than 18 games
3. McVeigh will be racing the clock for round 1
4. Rance, is he trustworthy? it'd be funny if the first defender we can trust to start is a key defender
5. McDonald could potentially improve but I think more likely he falls, had a good start to 2015 but after round 7 only averaged around 85
6. Houli, your thoughts? Can we trust him to average 95+? I doubt it
7. Enright, is age just a number for Enright or will he start to slow down in output?
8. Laird, your thoughts?
9. Simpson I think is pretty much locked in my side, reliable history and not injury prone
10. Bob Murphy, probably no chance to average 95+

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
yeah top 10 from 2015 (that're available in the defense this year)
Starting defence is always my biggest problem. I usually pick 2 solid ones, look for value and rely on rookies.

This year, Shaw and Boyd, though I expect Enright and Murphy will keep going - they just keep going!

Bartel & Eski are D3 and D4 atm. I think both are underpriced with a chance to return to some sort of form.

I think apart from the top 2, $380k to $480k is plenty to spend, given the uncertainty on returns. I prefer around the $420k range.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Starting defence is always my biggest problem. I usually pick 2 solid ones, look for value and rely on rookies.

This year, Shaw and Boyd, though I expect Enright and Murphy will keep going - they just keep going!

Bartel & Eski are D3 and D4 atm. I think both are underpriced with a chance to return to some sort of form.

I think apart from the top 2, $380k to $480k is plenty to spend, given the uncertainty on returns. I prefer around the $420k range.
I 100% agree with this. I've had Shaw and Simpson as 2 solid picks and Rich+Bartel [been swapping with Smith and Yeo but D3 and D4 will be of those 4... Smokey to start in my side is Suckling but that's more just because he's a Bulldog now, I can't help myself but only see upside]

I've cooled on Shaw, don't want him at all anymore, McVeigh is against the clock for round 1 and I can't see Boyd playing more than 18 games, I need another solid option, but the problem is there isn't another solid option... I'm tempted to just take McVeigh and hope he starts decently despite a very interrupted preseason

Reactions: Prospector

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
After the rucks I find the backline the trickiest.

Atm I have Shaw, KK, Bartel and Smith as my premiums. By no means am I confident in these selections and none of them may end up in my final side.

Bartel is probably the closest to being a lock.

inwhiterooms

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Bartel, KK and Smith haven't left many of my draft sides. Still early days though.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
As a solid pick I like Birchall carried injuries most of last year and still got 86ave, think that will bump up to early 90s this season but I feel there's alot of guys who can potentially average 90 but getting more than that seem
Any interest in Williams (GWS) at D4?

Yeah was a big watch on him late last year, averaged just under 89 from his non sub games, finds it okay and uses it well, a tough little bugger too, like that he doesn't need a stack of the ball to get a ton.
Little concern would be one of GWS many young mids moving down back to become a distributer that could stave him of easy ball.

Reactions: Coop

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
As a solid pick I like Birchall carried injuries most of last year and still got 86ave, think that will bump up to early 90s this season but I feel there's alot of guys who can potentially average 90 but getting more than that seem

Yeah was a big watch on him late last year, averaged just under 89 from his non sub games, finds it and uses it well and a tough little bugger too.
I was going to get Birchall, completely uninterrupted preseason this year, says here that he has been trying different roles in match simulation, I want to know what those roles are before I get him, but I think he's a really solid pick

Reactions: mattpedo

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Re: Shaw, rule #1 when you have an "outlier" who is clearly the top averaging player on that line, you have to pick them. Gaz. Goldy. Shaw. Lock.

Atm i have Shaw, Simpson, Bartel, Smith and Aish with rookies. Hoping beyond hope that Aish pushes up to a 90ppg and becomes a value keeper at D6. That structure leaves me a bit light on up forward so it's subject to change. I hate picking defenders.

Mick22

May 13, 2015
Hi Guys, I'm after opinions on Josh Cowan from Geelong. Is he injured again? At his price he seems an obvious choice but I haven't heard a thing about him.
Cheers

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Re: Shaw, rule #1 when you have an "outlier" who is clearly the top averaging player on that line, you have to pick them. Gaz. Goldy. Shaw. Lock.

Atm i have Shaw, Simpson, Bartel, Smith and Aish with rookies. Hoping beyond hope that Aish pushes up to a 90ppg and becomes a value keeper at D6. That structure leaves me a bit light on up forward so it's subject to change. I hate picking defenders.
Yeah I was of that view but when Mumford was fit Shaw averaged 105, then 120 after Mumford got injured. Shaw also never plays 22 games apart from 2015, and he increased his average by 20. Shaw isn't a usual outlier, I see him as mega risky

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Hi Guys, I'm after opinions on Josh Cowan from Geelong. Is he injured again? At his price he seems an obvious choice but I haven't heard a thing about him.
Cheers
Had him locked in my side all preseason, he's done every session and going along very very nicely at training

Reactions: Mick22

Mick22

May 13, 2015
Had him locked in my side all preseason, he's done every session and going along very very nicely at training
Thanks, I figured he must be a good chance of getting games as they wouldn't have held onto him if they didn't rate him highly