Defenders 2016

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Is it insane to go 5 players 400-470k & 3 rookies?

I have this type of set-up at atm. My backline is 1-4-1, probably wont go into the season set-up like this, but it does give me at least $300k if I drop 1 of those mid-prices to a rookie and use the money elsewhere. Although I do like my set-up now and I think there's more chance for cash generation elsewhere so I may just keep it.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Masten injured his ankle and out for 2 months, does that effect where Yeo might play?

mattpedo

Feb 9, 2016
Mornington
Thoughts on Brodie Smith?

Clearly had his injury concerns last season danger gone opens up a full time spot in the midfield.

415 seems too cheap to pass up for mine.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Thoughts on Brodie Smith?

Clearly had his injury concerns last season danger gone opens up a full time spot in the midfield.

415 seems too cheap to pass up for mine.
Apparently Don Pyke sees his best position as a half back not a midfielder, he can still score well there though so it's not a reason to stay away at all... Just the reason he's not a lock in my side at the moment

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Something to note, Daniel Rich is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year, if it looks like he'll be leaving do you think that would/could effect his scoring?

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
Couple of my thoughts...

Zac Williams anyone? Not sure where he will fit into my team atm but apparently he and Heater seem to use eachother a lot coming out of defense (good sign for Williams!) 88 Ave. without sub games last year and could increase from that. Definitely one to keep an eye on at his price.

Daniel Rich: Although he has never really averaged over 90, I will keep an eye on his position. Will be harder to tag him when beams, rockliff, Zorko, Hanley are all injury free and firing which didn't happen last year.

Kolodjashnij: Been in my side from the start but not really locked in. From all reports he is killing the training track and his form at the end of last year was very promising. Big unknown is how the inclusions of the suns star mids (Ablett, Prestia, Jaeger, Prestia) will affect his scoring. Averaged 93 from Rd. 4 onwards and 98 from rd. 10 onwards.

Brodie Smith: Love this guy. Started last season on fire, and then had some concussions that slowed him down. Spot has opened up in the mids but Pyke has stated that he likes him at half back. Far enough, really, he is very damaging at delivering and setting up the play from half back. I still think he will feature more in the midfield because he is so dangerous and has great pace. He averaged 93 in 2014 and something must have been wrong last year for him to drop that much in average (injuries, concussion, being tagged). I'm backing him to get back up in 2016.

Rookies:

Mitch Brown and Michael Hartley : I assume both of these boys will feature in Essendons Rd. 1 team. They will be playing key position roles so I'm not sure how they will score but they will definitely be playing a big role for the Bombers this year.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Rookies:

Mitch Brown and Michael Hartley : I assume both of these boys will feature in Essendons Rd. 1 team. They will be playing key position roles so I'm not sure how they will score but they will definitely be playing a big role for the Bombers this year.
a couple other rookies to watch down back are Bonner, Cowan, Adams, Williams, Hibberd, Broad, Cole, Clayton, Wagner

probably missed a few but they're a some to watch... Most will probably end up being downgrade targets though.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Keen to see what Zac Williams can do this season, was extremely good last year finding a regular spot in that back line.

Backline is giving me real grief at the moment, it's not just yes/no on Shaw, it's the available options, I see some real value in Rich, Smith, Birchall, Bartel, Williams that I just don;t see in Simpson, McVeigh, Murphy, Boyd but the latter names are the ones the seasoned SC pros seem more keen on.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Keen to see what Zac Williams can do this season, was extremely good last year finding a regular spot in that back line.

Backline is giving me real grief at the moment, it's not just yes/no on Shaw, it's the available options, I see some real value in Rich, Smith, Birchall, Bartel, Williams that I just don;t see in Simpson, McVeigh, Murphy, Boyd but the latter names are the ones the seasoned SC pros seem more keen on.
I dont think Macca and Boyd will play 20 games this year. If Murphys body is ok he will. Might be their last year for those 3

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I dont think Macca and Boyd will play 20 games this year. If Murphys body is ok he will. Might be their last year for those 3
I think Murphy definitely plays on but whether he's captain or not I think is a solid question, Boyd probably his last year and Macca it's possible he moves on

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Having picked Kelly last year, and Cox in his last season a couple of years ago, I'm reluctant to go for guys who might be in the twilight of their careers. Pretty much puts a line through McVeigh, Murphy, and Boyd for me. That being said, Kade Simpson is sitting at D2 atm...

Reactions: The Kraken

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Having picked Kelly last year, and Cox in his last season a couple of years ago, I'm reluctant to go for guys who might be in the twilight of their careers. Pretty much puts a line through McVeigh, Murphy, and Boyd for me. That being said, Kade Simpson is sitting at D2 atm...
Hmm

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Simmo at D2 for me also

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Me three. Most likely top 6 defender who will play 22 games. Who cares how much he costs. Lock.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Hugely consistaint but hard to be confident he's not on the downward slide.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Chris Scott has stated that he would be very "surprised" if Jimmy Bartel played all home and away games this season.
Swapping him down to Brodie Smith

Shaw, Simpson, Rich, Smith, Cowan, Hibberd [obviously Hibberd spot isn't likely to stay the same, all the supercheap guys will change over NAB]