2017 Midfield Primos

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I quite like the Jelwood pick. I was interested in him last year because I thought Danger might take some pressure off him. Jelwood played with a buggered hand half the year (from memory) and still went pretty darn well. I know he has a reputation for starting a bit slow but I'm giving him a big think for a starting possie.

Reactions: captainchardonnay

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
anyone else keen on Jack Steven or is it just me coz im a saints supporter

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Friend of mine had him last year and from memory found the roller coaster a bit wearing on the nerves.

Has played enough games that you would think he has probably found his level. Lots of people think the saints are in the up and I suppose that alone could give him a bit of a scoring boost and put him up into that really relevant scoring range ... so the question is, are you buying into the saints hype? And should we?

Reactions: tiltraise and Brad

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
Friend of mine had him last year and from memory found the roller coaster a bit wearing on the nerves.

Has played enough games that you would think he has probably found his level. Lots of people think the saints are in the up and I suppose that alone could give him a bit of a scoring boost and put him up into that really relevant scoring range ... so the question is, are you buying into the saints hype? And should we?
im buying in to the saints hype, should def make eight i would be very disappointed if we didn't
this is main reason i was looking at him but your right i had him last year as well and was frustrating watching 171 one week and 75 the next
just hoping with a better team this year he might get more consistence in his scoring

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Also a Sainter and a Steven fan but I'm not picking him for a couple of reasons.
First, the Saints are developing a pretty deep mid-field - Stevens and Steele added and the young guys probably spending more time in the mids as well. They appear to be looking to have the mids play multiple roles. Steven will still be a first-choice mid but not necessarily full-time.
Second, last year when Steven was tagged Richo praised him for the way he sacrificed his ball-winning to run interference for his team-mates. To the outsider the tag looked successful but Richo still thought the Saints came out ahead. Steven could be tagged a fair bit this year and repeat that blocking role. [Sam Mitchell did the same very successfully for the Hawks.]

crog100

Patron '18
Patron '19
Dec 15, 2015
I quite like the Jelwood pick. I was interested in him last year because I thought Danger might take some pressure off him. Jelwood played with a buggered hand half the year (from memory) and still went pretty darn well. I know he has a reputation for starting a bit slow but I'm giving him a big think for a starting possie.

Never really agreed with the Selwood slow start, couple of years he blitzed at the end of the year but he wasn't terrible at the start if you look at the splits...

Yr / Avg / Avg 1-8 / Avg 9-16 / Avg 17-24
11 / 111.5 / 107.8 / 108.0 / 116.7
12 / 117.7 / 125.7 / 120.1 / 105.3
13 / 118.4 / 109.8 / 110.6 / 136.1
14 / 120.9 / 117.0 / 112.3 / 134.7
15 / 104.8 / 97.9 / 93.4 / 120.9
16 / 111.5 / 112.5 / 111.9 / 110.0

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
Never really agreed with the Selwood slow start, couple of years he blitzed at the end of the year but he wasn't terrible at the start if you look at the splits...

Yr / Avg / Avg 1-8 / Avg 9-16 / Avg 17-24
11 / 111.5 / 107.8 / 108.0 / 116.7
12 / 117.7 / 125.7 / 120.1 / 105.3
13 / 118.4 / 109.8 / 110.6 / 136.1
14 / 120.9 / 117.0 / 112.3 / 134.7
15 / 104.8 / 97.9 / 93.4 / 120.9
16 / 111.5 / 112.5 / 111.9 / 110.0

Love ya research there.

I have him in my team atm in preference to Danger but id like to hear the thoughts of a few Geelong supporters.

Had to be managed through last p/s due to foot problems iirc. I guess main concern would be the new interpretation on high tackles could lower his output by a small degree.

Reactions: cactus

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Love ya research there.

I have him in my team atm in preference to Danger but id like to hear the thoughts of a few Geelong supporters.

Had to be managed through last p/s due to foot problems iirc. I guess main concern would be the new interpretation on high tackles could lower his output by a small degree.

I don't think the new interpretation on high tackles will make a huge difference if any for Selwood's output. He'll just play on and find a target.

I have Danger in my team at the moment over Selwood as I think that he will score just that bit better. But really I think they are both good starting picks and I don't expect a huge difference in their scoring.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm not cponvinced its a good move to start Danger at the price but I'm a bit worried about finding Captain scores.

What does Tom Mitchel have to do in Pre-season to get seriously on peoples radars?

Reactions: tiltraise

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
What does Tom Mitchel have to do in Pre-season to get seriously on peoples radars?

Hes sitting at M5 in my team as it stands.

Solid scoring history playing somewhat less than a main MF roll. I expect him to be #1 Hawk Mid all season thus looks to be very little downside to his selection.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Hes sitting at M5 in my team as it stands.

Solid scoring history playing somewhat less than a main MF roll. I expect him to be #1 Hawk Mid all season thus looks to be very little downside to his selection.

I suppose my worry with him is his kicking & maybe that he'll get tagged at some point though not sure how susceptible he would be to that.

Seems a lock for the other formats just not sure about SC.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I suppose my worry with him is his kicking & maybe that he'll get tagged at some point though not sure how susceptible he would be to that.

Gis kick to hanball ratio is not great, so it's probably one reason he's a little quiet on th SC radar.

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015

Would be surprised if he was tagged due to his contested nature and perhaps lack of polish.

He did some tagging himself last season however Im confident he will be freed up at Hawthorn which combined with extra coalface minutes and some generic improvement due to age/exp should see his basement at ~107.

I suppose his ceiling maybe somewhat limited due to his disposal concerns however he strikes me as a fairly safe pick in value for money terms in a team that should be competitive regardless of off season list changes.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Would be surprised if he was tagged due to his contested nature and perhaps lack of polish.

He did some tagging himself last season however Im confident he will be freed up at Hawthorn which combined with extra coalface minutes and some generic improvement due to age/exp should see his basement at ~107.

I suppose his ceiling maybe somewhat limited due to his disposal concerns however he strikes me as a fairly safe pick in value for money terms in a team that should be competitive regardless of off season list changes.

As a Swans man it's hard to say this, but I think he'll fly this year. He's going to be the Hawks number 1 contested ball winner. That's why they wanted him - as Hawthorn's contested ball has dropped off the last couple of years. No doubt his disposal isn't that great and he loves a hand ball but if he's given the time on ball he'll get so much of it that it won't matter. The best thing about Titch is that he knows how to find the pill. And I don't think he'll get a tag either because teams tend to target the guys who are damaging with their disposal. Free from the likes of JPK, Hanners and Parker, I'll think he'll find a more consistent role in the team and his SC numbers will go north for sure. Definitely flying under the fantasy radar at this stage.

jazz

Triple Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Cairns, Queensland
My first attempt, without really knowing the rookie pool is this...

Danger, Pendles, Hanners, Bont, Fyfe - 1 midpricer (Swallow) - 5 rookies.

I want to include Rockliff, just not sure to run the risk with Fyfe as well.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Having alot of trouble trying to figure out who I think will be top 8 by years end,
Dangerfield, Hannebery, Treloar, Bontempeli, Fyfe, are my main mids (plus one break out around 500K) at the moment,
when i start to think about the blokes not in my team my head starts to hurt, Pendles, JPK, Parker, Selwood, Neale, Rockliff plus many more.. :confused: