2017 Midfield Primos

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Danger, Pendles - very high priced and for good reason. Most will be starting one to ensure a good VC / C option. Is anyone taking both? Or leaving both as upgrade targets?

Jelwood, JPK - high priced very consistent performers. Both with not-completely-justified reputations as slow starters and upgrade targets

Sloane - solid option perhaps a fraction behind those mentioned Jelwood and JPK? But then Sloane is a bit younger and his body is probably less busted up than them.

Priddis - averages a bit less than some of the others mentioned but durable.

Parker, Hanners - somewhat injury affected preseasons should be ready to go for the start of the season.

Fyfe, Rocky, Gazza - all come at a bit of a discount compared to their ceilings but they've both burnt a lot of people over the past few years.

Bont, Cripps, Treloar - the next generation of super primos? Cripps obviously injured but lots of folks seem to see Treloar as close to a lock to finish in the top 8 mids for the year and the Bont potentially has the most upside.

Coniglio, Ward - can anyone in the GWS midfield score enough to make you really happy with all their other good players stealing points?

Anyone else you are looking at as primium midfielder? Cotchin is one that holds some interest to me. The new additions to the Tigers midfield may free him up to play a more SC friendly role ... got to be careful of my Richmond bias closing my judgement however ...

Plenty of folk seem to be snapping up Dyson Hepple at the $500K asking price.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Probably should have mentioned Tom Mitchell in the same section as Treloar and the Bont. Maybe Zerritt as well. Presume most will be steering clear of Neale with Fyfe coming back?

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
I'm keen on Danger & Bont from that group and possibly Pendles or Treloar too. Not sure that guys like Ward and Cotchin are quite in that ultra premium bracket. Had Ward last year. Obviously a gun but not sure that the role he plays is ultra-lucrative.

Think a guy like Jelwood, you can probably gamble and try to get him a little cheaper later.

Reactions: Steve and cactus

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm really keen on Priddis this year. I think Mitchell will take some pressure and while I don't see him being a top 2 mid, I think he will comfortably be top 8. Eagles have a stupidly good run up til the byes. I'm getting on early.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
I'm really keen on Priddis this year. I think Mitchell will take some pressure and while I don't see him being a top 2 mid, I think he will comfortably be top 8. Eagles have a stupidly good run up til the byes. I'm getting on early.
Priddis always gets under the radar. He's 32 by the time the season starts which is a bit off-putting for me. But hope he kills it for ya. Priced at 109ppg, I wonder if there's much upside from there?

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
How many premo mids is worthy to start with is 4 + beams/Heppell too thin in the mids?
Sounds fine to me. If you start Beams / Heppell you hope would be for them to become a keeper. Beams could conceivably be worth it as a stepping stone but Heppell has to be a keeper if you start him. So that is effectively 5 midfield keepers to start and depending where the rookies are available that is plenty.

I don't have either at the moment. I have four fully priced primos then Fyfe and Swallow. That may change depending on the preseason games.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
How many premo mids is worthy to start with is 4 + beams/Heppell too thin in the mids?

I'm as the same thought as @cactus, I too have Heppell and I can't see him not becoming a premo this year. As for Beams I don't know if I can go there just like a couple of others in the middle the injuries hit my team hard last year and I'm really trying to avoid the same thing twice. Players coming back from serious injuries or have a injury history will be very low on my target list this year.

Jan 28, 2017
Sounds fine to me. If you start Beams / Heppell you hope would be for them to become a keeper. Beams could conceivably be worth it as a stepping stone but Heppell has to be a keeper if you start him. So that is effectively 5 midfield keepers to start and depending where the rookies are available that is plenty.

I don't have either at the moment. I have four fully priced primos then Fyfe and Swallow. That may change depending on the preseason games.
I like Fyfe but going by history he will miss at least 5 games for the year so at the moment he's on my watchlist depends on how he has recovered from broken leg but beams hasn't been healthy for couple years now but I'm willing to take a risk and as for Heppell don't know how he will go having 12months off ummm so many questions to be answered

Jan 28, 2017
I'm as the same thought as @cactus, I too have Heppell and I can't see him not becoming a premo this year. As for Beams I don't know if I can go there just like a couple of others in the middle the injuries hit my team hard last year and I'm really trying to avoid the same thing twice. Players coming back from serious injuries or have a injury history will be very low on my target list this year.
I want beams/Rockliff but it's hard to make the risk that could ruin a season but it all depends upon the preseason games

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015

That sounds fine to me, but this question can't be answered properly without knowing who the best rookies are.

My starting team structure is based on selecting the best rookies and then filling in the gaps. Missing out on a couple of good rookies can ruin your season early.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Yeah I'm with @TomCat ... I prefer to see where the best rookies are, grab all of them, then fill in the blanks (wherever they may be) with premos. If you get too attached to a particular type of structure then you risk missing the best rookies, which we all know sets you up for the season.

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Current premium mids are

Dangerfield, Hannebery, Treloar, Fyfe & Heppell,

I am tempted to start without Danger though.

Heppell I'm pretty keen on even if ends up my M8 averaging 105 I'd be quite content with that but went 104.8 carrying a team I think he can crack 110 this season.

Scared off Bont with the lack of 3rd man up but might just mean he gets more clearances, Cripps should start slow and be a nice target half way through the season, JPK, Parker, Pendles ect can't have them all unfortunately.
One forgotten man though is Libba could easily get back to 110ave in his 2nd season back from Knee reco.

Jan 28, 2017
Current premium mids are

Heppell I'm pretty keen on even if ends up my M8 averaging 105 I'd be quite content with that but went 104.8 carrying a team I think he can crack 110 this season.

Scared off Bont with the lack of 3rd man up but might just mean he gets more clearances, Cripps should start slow and be a nice target half way through the season, JPK, Parker, Pendles ect can't have them all unfortunately.
One forgotten man though is Libba could easily get back to 110ave in his 2nd season back from Knee reco.
I'd love to get libba but at the moment I have Bennell/beams/roughy don't know if I could add another injury affected player

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Current premium mids are

Yep I have given some serious thought to Libba. I reckon very good chance he goes back to being a proper premium second year back from the injury. There are other safer options at higher prices but if you were looking for someone around that price he's probably a good option. Similar price to Heppell, Jack from Sydney etc.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Yeak Libba showed enough last year to warrant a look. Now with alot of the attention on Bont may just help him a bit more.

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
Current premium mids are

I'm going without Danger..... Cats will slide this year I reckon.

He'll get into my team at some stage but he's not starting.

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
Liking the Libba pick......

But I'm going hard in the mids.

Starting;

Pendles, JPK, Jelwood, Sloane,
Fyfe, Heppel, Beams, Swallow.

Swallow to become Danger at some stage.

hawker