Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I am tempted to go Gawn and Martin at this stage.
Just to many variables!
Aren't they the same bye? I also don't trust Martin to be the sole ruck with Archie Smith back and fit.

However, I really get wanting to go safe at R2. R2 is going to define a lot of our seasons. I have been everywhere from Goldstein to Witts at the spot but I am seriously considering Grundy and just being happy with 20-22 games at a low 100's average.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
Aren't they the same bye? I also don't trust Martin to be the sole ruck with Archie Smith back and fit.

However, I really get wanting to go safe at R2. R2 is going to define a lot of our seasons. I have been everywhere from Goldstein to Witts at the spot but I am seriously considering Grundy and just being happy with 20-22 games at a low 100's average.

Yes, they have the same bye. But currently only missing two of my premiums plus these two so not too bad.

The reality is that like most teams it will all change over the next three weeks :)

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Anyone got the good oil on Darcy Cameron from the Swans? Scored SC 85 v North Melbourne but he must have heaps of people in front of him for a game when the real stuff starts (given that Nank had to come to the Tiges for opportunities). Plus the Swans have a disgracefully bad draw early for him to be a floating donut.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Going for Gawn and Goldy atm, yes its safe and a huge outlay but I just think they will both clearly be top 3 rucks, whereas on other lines, you can't really pick others with that same level of confidence.

I'm going extra light up forward at this stage to the point of having Nankervis at F3. I see him averaging the same as Ryder for a lot less spend, and a better chance of holding down a #1 ruck spot than Witts. My long term goal is to have Nank as F7 covering 2 lines in my final team. Anyone else looking at going in with him?

Reactions: cactus

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
My two cents, as attractive as Witts is at R2, and I'm also seriously considering it, I think Ryder would need to be selected as a forward with a R/F rookie at R3. Would also want to have confidence that my F7/8 will play regularly. That way if Witts stinks/gets dropped early (entirely possible) I can swing Ryder in and sit Witts on the bench and hope he turns it around to eventually upgrade. Having said all that, I'll probably turn around and run with the Gawn/Goldy combo like everyone else!

Reactions: Prospector

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
My two cents, as attractive as Witts is at R2, and I'm also seriously considering it, I think Ryder would need to be selected as a forward with a R/F rookie at R3. Would also want to have confidence that my F7/8 will play regularly. That way if Witts stinks/gets dropped early (entirely possible) I can swing Ryder in and sit Witts on the bench and hope he turns it around to eventually upgrade. Having said all that, I'll probably turn around and run with the Gawn/Goldy combo like everyone else!

I looked at that combo earlier in the p/s however both Ryder + Witts share the R9 bye and this turned me off it somewhat.

Reactions: Ramjets and cactus

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
I looked at that combo earlier in the p/s however both Ryder + Witts share the R9 bye and this turned me off it somewhat.
Good point. Forgot about the byes. Probably rules Witts out for me then.

Following on from this, can anyone make a case for starting any of the Suns or Power premiums? I'm leaning to avoiding as a rule.

Reactions: tiltraise

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Going for Gawn and Goldy atm, yes its safe and a huge outlay but I just think they will both clearly be top 3 rucks, whereas on other lines, you can't really pick others with that same level of confidence.

I'm going extra light up forward at this stage to the point of having Nankervis at F3. I see him averaging the same as Ryder for a lot less spend, and a better chance of holding down a #1 ruck spot than Witts. My long term goal is to have Nank as F7 covering 2 lines in my final team. Anyone else looking at going in with him?

Yeah waiting for him to play to have good look at him, Hampson actually had an ok season last time not sure they don't play together which will kill boths scores.

Reactions: Steve

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Anyone got the good oil on Darcy Cameron from the Swans? Scored SC 85 v North Melbourne but he must have heaps of people in front of him for a game when the real stuff starts (given that Nank had to come to the Tiges for opportunities). Plus the Swans have a disgracefully bad draw early for him to be a floating donut.

Cameron has been a good pick up for us. He's got good hands and his foot skills are great for a big man. He played well in the WAFL last year too. If you're one of those coaches that likes an R3 that might get a few games during the season then he could be a good option. However, if the other guys stay fit he's still behind Tippett and Naismith and probably Sinclair (although his form last year wasn't good). I'd be surprised if he got games this year but keep an eye out if there are injuries. I defs think Cameron and English (WB) are two of the most likely rookie rucks out there if you are looking.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Cameron has been a good pick up for us. He's got good hands and his foot skills are great for a big man. He played well in the WAFL last year too. If you're one of those coaches that likes an R3 that might get a few games during the season then he could be a good option. However, if the other guys stay fit he's still behind Tippett and Naismith and probably Sinclair (although his form last year wasn't good). I'd be surprised if he got games this year but keep an eye out if there are injuries. I defs think Cameron and English (WB) are two of the most likely rookie rucks out there if you are looking.
Thanks @Benj that was exactly the sort of info I was after.

Maybe, if Witts starts as solo Ruck round1, one could start Witts at R3 and downgrade him to Cameron before Witts round 9 bye.

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
this whole ruck thing is doing my head in this year lol
Gawn locked in
then i put goldy in and look at his price and change it
then i get worried about putting in the likes of grundy, Hickey, Witts etc and change back again
these rucks will be the end of me lol

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Let's complicate this some more. What if the Jordan Roughead injury allows Timmy English to get a gig for a month or two at the beginning of the season? Do you pick him at R3 even though you'd be without the R/F link? I probably would, but then it would be pretty useless to pick a Paddy Ryder unless you're going Sandilands R2 and you plan to trade him for a forward if he goes down early. I wouldn't want to be relying on Ryder to patch R2 for long term.

Reactions: cactus

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Let's complicate this some more. What if the Jordan Roughead injury allows Timmy English to get a gig for a month or two at the beginning of the season? Do you pick him at R3 even though you'd be without the R/F link? I probably would, but then it would be pretty useless to pick a Paddy Ryder unless you're going Sandilands R2 and you plan to trade him for a forward if he goes down early. I wouldn't want to be relying on Ryder to patch R2 for long term.
Roughhead out for 8 weeks they reckon.

Reactions: Brad

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Not really ruck cover but there is no Ruck thread.

Interesting stat from
Fantasy Freako‏ @FantasyFreako
Sam Jacobs is by far the best value ruck in SuperCoach after a downer in '16. From 2012-15, his HTA% was the highest of any ruckman.

My Ruck combo may just look like Sauce and Whitts. How do you like those apples??
I can't understand why nobody is talking about Sauce, find it astounding. A few years ago he had his first full preseason and pumped out a 115 and then 108. Last year he had virtually no preseason and put out an 86. Built into the season and went at 105 from rounds 11-18 before a 26 in round 19 when he got injured. Came back for the last couple of regular season games and then got going again in finals with a 105 and 98.

As far as I'm aware, he's had an uninterrupted preseason. He's also got little competition for his spot. Played 20+ games last 5 seasons. On last seasons form I'd lock him in for a 105 average. With the new ruck rule he might repeat his 115. And you're paying 86 for him.

Gawn/Sauce all the way for me.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Roughhead out for 8 weeks they reckon.
Yup, it should buy English enough time to make some serious coin...but I still don't think it's a given he grabs a spot. And then you have to decide what to do about a loophole player. I'm looking at Balic in the midfield because I think he will get games later in the season (but if he's named round 1 then time to find somebody else) and I'm also toying with the idea of an emergency loophole to try and get the best score out of Myers and Powell-Pepper each week. Plus, I would rather have the non-playing player in the line with 3 bench spots.

Reactions: tiltraise

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I can't understand why nobody is talking about Sauce, find it astounding. A few years ago he had his first full preseason and pumped out a 115 and then 108. Last year he had virtually no preseason and put out an 86. Built into the season and went at 105 from rounds 11-18 before a 26 in round 19 when he got injured. Came back for the last couple of regular season games and then got going again in finals with a 105 and 98.

As far as I'm aware, he's had an uninterrupted preseason. He's also got little competition for his spot. Played 20+ games last 5 seasons. On last seasons form I'd lock him in for a 105 average. With the new ruck rule he might repeat his 115. And you're paying 86 for him.

Gawn/Sauce all the way for me.
Yeah i like that line up myself.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Yup, it should buy English enough time to make some serious coin...but I still don't think it's a given he grabs a spot. And then you have to decide what to do about a loophole player. I'm looking at Balic in the midfield because I think he will get games later in the season (but if he's named round 1 then time to find somebody else) and I'm also toying with the idea of an emergency loophole to try and get the best score out of Myers and Powell-Pepper each week. Plus, I would rather have the non-playing player in the line with 3 bench spots.
Would Boyd be likley to play time in the middle over him?

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
great now more to think about with rucks :confused: