2017 Ruck Cover

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
So last year was the first year of the new HTA rule, right? Which means we haven't seen Ryder play with the 5 points for HTA but nothing if the hit out wasn't to advantage. So question without notice - does anyone know how we can find out how he rates for HTA percentage ?

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
According to the Prospectus, Hickey plays a similar role, in a similar way, to GlutenBurger, Naismith, Sauce and Stef. Not so much elite ruck, but defs serviceable- they've all grabbed our attention before!

If any of these rucks looks like getting a better run this year by reason of no 3rd man up, then would that apply to all?

As mentioned earlier, you'd expect Hickey to benefit from the change to 3rd man up (if the refs actually enforce the new rule). The Saints should get a better run this year, and so should Hickey.

On my list!

Reactions: Brad

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
According to the Prospectus, Hickey plays a similar role, in a similar way, to GlutenBurger, Naismith, Sauce and Stef. Not so much elite ruck, but defs serviceable- they've all grabbed our attention before!

If any of these rucks looks like getting a better run this year by reason of no 3rd man up, then would that apply to all?

As mentioned earlier, you'd expect Hickey to benefit from the change to 3rd man up (if the refs actually enforce the new rule). The Saints should get a better run this year, and so should Hickey.

On my list!

Interesting my worry was he wasn't good enough around the ground to capitalize on his solid ruck work, Saints went 3rd man up 22% of the time last season Hickey will definitely improve his Hit Out numbers & to be honest his HOTA% isn't too bad, just behind Goldy and in front of Nic Nat.

Reactions: Brad and Prospector

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Day by day I'm settling on Gawn/Hickey.

They happen to play each other in round 1 so that's kind of putting it off for me at present. Just not sure whether Hickey is going to be able to sustain a good enough score @ R2 for me and be retained for the entire season.

I'm looking at the possibility of Witts @ R2 he's very interesting and potentially a nice juicy cash cow if he gets games in him. One flexibility about his game is he can push forward and with Lynch and Wright down there ho could sneak under the raider and snag the odd cheeky sausage roll while resting.Jus deciding on whether (Providing Witts plays of course) if there's going to be much difference in scoring between the 2. That 100k could go elsewhere on my field.

Very interesting at present. I guess the upcoming pre-season games will give us more of an indication.

Reactions: Brad

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
?

Hickey priced at 458K and Witts at 217K. So that would be more like 240K to use elsewhere ... or am I missing something?

Don't mind me mate. Still getting my head around the prices haha. 240k makes it even more attractive!

Reactions: cactus

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Not really ruck cover but there is no Ruck thread.

Interesting stat from
Fantasy Freako‏ @FantasyFreako
Sam Jacobs is by far the best value ruck in SuperCoach after a downer in '16. From 2012-15, his HTA% was the highest of any ruckman.

My Ruck combo may just look like Sauce and Whitts. How do you like those apples??
News from the freako is like a BBQ - if you don't like the source, stay away!

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Went set and forget last year for the first time with Goldy and Stef and it failed purely based on missing Gawn and it was painful!
Looking at it again this year with Gawn and Goldy if Goldy plays a JLT, if not the Grundy is the man!

Other option is a risky R2 but then Ryder is essential to swing from fwds.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I think going a gun and a midprice Ruck makes sense this year. Gawn is a lock to be a top 2 Ruck, but after that it's really up in the air between about 5. Going a Witts/Sandi option makes sense if they can make enough cash. That way you can see who emerges as the other top ruck

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I think going a gun and a midprice Ruck makes sense this year. Gawn is a lock to be a top 2 Ruck, but after that it's really up in the air between about 5. Going a Witts/Sandi option makes sense if they can make enough cash. That way you can see who emerges as the other top ruck

Totally with ya on this one, Whitts should average min 80, and be a great stepping stone for a Ruck in form aroind the byes.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Yeah I've GawSandiWitts at the moment.

Need a back plan if Sandi doesn't get up for R1.

Maybe Witts down to Cameron and Sandi up to Ryder.

Or Roughy down to FWD rookie and Sandi up to ... probably Goldy I guess.

Reactions: Cromagnon

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Didn't see the game today but have read that Currie clearly outperformed Witts and spent much more time in the Ruck, can anyone confirm??

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Witts played about a half before an injury (split webbing) sent him to the showers early.

Reactions: Haychh

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Witts played about a half before an injury (split webbing) sent him to the showers early.
Didn't he do the exact same thing in round 1 last year? Weird.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
I am tempted to go Gawn and Martin at this stage.
Just to many variables!