2017 Ruck Cover

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Yep, he's currently in my side.
Durable and consistent but I'm worried about his low ceiling. Last year was his best year so far. His top score was 127 and that was the only time he broke 120. Not really on my radar at the moment for that reason.

You would think he is very likely to improve on his average of 96 but will it be by enough to be a top three ruck? Then maybe he is durable enough to be top 3 by points scored ...

Reactions: Prospector

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Heh heh!

Sandi had been mentioned a bit already. Before the rest of the old men fail at PS, would anyone like to list the "no, too old for me" players and show their skills?

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Goldy! :D Gawn;).
I reckon Goldy has a frac more to show us yet!

Since this is the ruck thread, maybe someone / some people might like to list their "Nah, too damn old" players in the other relevant threads?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Well can't start with Sandi now, will have to put a bit more research into Witts but does look like set and forget at this stage Goldy or less likely Grundy

Reactions: cactus

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I'm starting to put serious thought into running with Witts at R2... I've just done a draft team with Gawn and Witts and it just frees up other positions so much! Add that to going without Danger and I love the look of the team!

I know it's a risky call and ultimately will have to wait and see how he goes in the JLT. But geez if it came off it could be a masterstroke! He's never been a number 1 ruck so we have no idea how he will go but if he could average between 85-90 to the byes it would go down as a win! Then we upgrade him to Goldy/Grundy or whoever kills it this year and we're away.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm starting to put serious thought into running with Witts at R2... I've just done a draft team with Gawn and Witts and it just frees up other positions so much! Add that to going without Danger and I love the look of the team!

I know it's a risky call and ultimately will have to wait and see how he goes in the JLT. But geez if it came off it could be a masterstroke! He's never been a number 1 ruck so we have no idea how he will go but if he could average between 85-90 to the byes it would go down as a win! Then we upgrade him to Goldy/Grundy or whoever kills it this year and we're away.

I love a "rookie" ruck, the value, the chance to have a good look at the other rucks, the points & cash you can spread elsewhere... It's all great assuming the rookie ruck actually plays.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I love a "rookie" ruck, the value, the chance to have a good look at the other rucks, the points & cash you can spread elsewhere... It's all great assuming the rookie ruck actually plays.

True, very true. A man can dream though!!

It's currently a 2 way battle for the gig with Currie as it looks like Nicholls has a stint on the sideline ahead of him... I really hope they don't play both!

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...y/news-story/86e02ad8815ec57e13e0d58fb60eb085

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
More I think the more I have to have a good look at Witts in the pre-season, not so much his scores just role, if they plan to play him with P.Wright as a pinch hitter, Witts is a proven 80ish scorer who can improve on that as a real no1 ruck, Ruc/Fwd at R3 and Ryder as F3.
It's a setup I really like the upside of but obviously fraught with danger

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
More I think the more I have to have a good look at Witts in the pre-season, not so much his scores just role, if they plan to play him with P.Wright as a pinch hitter, Witts is a proven 80ish scorer who can improve on that as a real no1 ruck, Ruc/Fwd at R3 and Ryder as F3.
It's a setup I really like the upside of but obviously fraught with danger

This is my current setup.. I really hope it all comes together as I really like the look of my team. From all reports Nicholls is struggling with niggles and Currie is hardly setting the world on fire. If either is named R1 I will be taking a premo out of the mids and going with Grundy instead

Reactions: Prospector

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
anyone thinking of taking tom hickey. he should benefit from no third man up this year
st kilda ranked 3rd last year for it

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
anyone thinking of taking tom hickey. he should benefit from no third man up this year
I reckon you can make a case for him. Not sure I've got the courage / craziness to try it.

I was trying to compare him to Grundy at their relative prices. Grundy obviously has consistency on his side but I'm not that keen on paying 520K for a ruck who has never posted a score higher than SC127 (I don't think he has anyway). Hickey has at least posted a couple of pretty big scores ... but they were only against Port R1 (157) and the Blues with Kreuzer in R12 (139). Also he was reported as playing well in several games towards the end of the year but couldn't translate that into good SC point apart from a stand out 104 against Gawn in R17. As I said I think you can make a bit of a case but the smart money probably says "no".

Reactions: Brad

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

I'm really keen on him to improve 5-10pts but just couldn't find a real sharp 20pt jump to put him in the top couple rucks, I'd still take him over Grundy though.

Reactions: Brad

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
I'm looking at him or grundy can't see any other ruck options I like except goldy but don't want to spend that much money on having Gawn and goldy
I'm really keen on him to improve 5-10pts but just couldn't find a real sharp 20pt jump to put him in the top couple rucks, I'd still take him over Grundy though.
I reckon you can make a case for him. Not sure I've got the courage / craziness to try it.

I was trying to compare him to Grundy at their relative prices. Grundy obviously has consistency on his side but I'm not that keen on paying 520K for a ruck who has never posted a score higher than SC127 (I don't think he has anyway). Hickey has at least posted a couple of pretty big scores ... but they were only against Port R1 (157) and the Blues with Kreuzer in R12 (139). Also he was reported as playing well in several games towards the end of the year but couldn't translate that into good SC point apart from a stand out 104 against Gawn in R17. As I said I think you can make a bit of a case but the smart money probably says "no".