X v. Y

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Parish v Crowley

Both the same price, Crowley has played the game but coming to his end, Parish new, exciting player. Can he go big?

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I don't know enough about Parish to speculate tbh, but I'm hesitant to pick any first-year player this year. In fact, I have none in my side currently and none of them interest me at this stage. With no sub rule, there's no option to red or green vest these guys. Coaches will need to be certain they can run out 4 quarters if they're going to select them or risk ending up short on the bench or have a forward pocket full of guys with cramp.

For that reason I can see these sort of guys getting a few weeks at the top level and then going back to VFL where their TOG% can be managed. Especially these Bombers where there's no need to rush them this season. Give them experience, yes. Rush them and burn them out, no.

At $200k+ you want them to be guaranteed of a spot for at least the first 6 weeks so you can trade them out first to maximise onfield cash. You don't want them sitting on the bench half the time until round 14 while you wait for them to reach the cash-out stage.

For that reason Crowley for mine easily out of those 2. Role is questionable, but can't see how close tagging helps the Bombers much this year. Even a 60 average will give a reasonable ROI.

Reactions: Prospector

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
I don't know enough about Parish to speculate tbh, but I'm hesitant to pick any first-year player this year. In fact, I have none in my side currently and none of them interest me at this stage. With no sub rule, there's no option to red or green vest these guys. Coaches will need to be certain they can run out 4 quarters if they're going to select them or risk ending up short on the bench or have a forward pocket full of guys with cramp.

For that reason I can see these sort of guys getting a few weeks at the top level and then going back to VFL where their TOG% can be managed. Especially these Bombers where there's no need to rush them this season. Give them experience, yes. Rush them and burn them out, no.

At $200k+ you want them to be guaranteed of a spot for at least the first 6 weeks so you can trade them out first to maximise onfield cash. You don't want them sitting on the bench half the time until round 14 while you wait for them to reach the cash-out stage.

For that reason Crowley for mine easily out of those 2. Role is questionable, but can't see how close tagging helps the Bombers much this year. Even a 60 average will give a reasonable ROI.
and i still wont pick either on my team. Hopefully playing all these young kids this year doesnt hurt the bombers next year

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Crowley's best ever SC season was a 66 average way back in 2007. He hasn't averaged above 60 since 2010. For 200k I wouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I reckon Parish could have a really solid year liked his style albeit against Carlton, gets his own ball and tackles but at 200K geez he'd want to at least double that.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Nice. I don't think the Z.Smith pick is crazy. Didn't like KK's NABs. Safer option - 2nd one. Risk/reward - 1st. I'd go 2nd, just.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I would go second too...

Both options have one safe pick and one risk. With the first, if Smith doesn't work out then you're stuck. You have to find 100k to upgrade him. With the second one, if KK doesn't work out then there's plenty of other good picks within 30k. Its much easier to fix that one quickly with one trade. So You're taking the risky pick but giving yourself an out if you need it.

Reactions: Tevez17

Shinboner

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 19, 2016
With Barlow locked and Martin (at this stage ) locked I feel the F3 position is a critical one to nail and I feel it's one of these value players that will work out best.
For me it's a toss up between

Toby Greene
Aaron Hall
And even maybe Sam Gray with PAs draw.

I find myself leaning towards Hall at this stage.
Thoughts?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
With Barlow locked and Martin (at this stage ) locked I feel the F3 position is a critical one to nail and I feel it's one of these value players that will work out best.
For me it's a toss up between

Toby Greene
Aaron Hall
And even maybe Sam Gray with PAs draw.

I find myself leaning towards Hall at this stage.
Thoughts?
I'm going with Hall purely because of the midfield time he will get with Swallow, Prestia and JOM not playing yet. Between them and Gaz, I doubt all 4 will be on the park at any one time so he should stay in the mid rotations. As good as Gray looks, he's only had a few good games. It wasn't long ago that Daisy was "the best player in the comp" for a few weeks. I know Hall falls in the same category but it's a gut feel for me on this one. That said I don't think you could go wrong with Greene either. Its a huge call.

Reactions: Shinboner

mdola2

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '19
Feb 24, 2016
Had Greene all preseason but starting to worry about the spread of points between all the GWS mids.

Reactions: The Kraken

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Had Greene all preseason but starting to worry about the spread of points between all the GWS mids.
I'm more worried about how much time the mids in all teams will be spending up front instead of resting on te bench with the reduced interchange cap

Spifflicator

Mar 15, 2016
I think Greene will be about the same as last year, ie not much midfield time. Steele is the guy who appears to have been given the green light to get Treloars spot and I think he will have at least similar output to Greene this year.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I think Greene will be about the same as last year, ie not much midfield time. Steele is the guy who appears to have been given the green light to get Treloars spot and I think he will have at least similar output to Greene this year.

Steele was eased in last season like a guy they knew would play 200 games for them.

Reactions: Prospector

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Midprice madness pick

Liba v BCrouch v Hunter v Lloyd

Also those 4 mid pricers v 2 prem mids and 2 x $125k rookies

The 2 prems about 120 each, rookies 60 each

Mids about 95 each