Rookies 2016

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Anyone else been tempted to drop Grimely and set up a swing ruck link with a Sinclair etc? Now that it seems unlikely that we can get a consistent r3 playing. Considering just holding surely he will play eventually. Do I Dare mention Luey?

I actually think with the right structure and not too many other risks Luey is viable as a stepping stone!

Reactions: alman

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
I actually think with the right structure and not too many other risks Luey is viable as a stepping stone!

If you can get him as deep as possible as a forward I'd be tempted also. But with the likes of de gooey and Steele similarly priced can't justify.

On the other hand if he looks promising after the ist two weeks I'd be tempted to get him in to sure up ruck cover. Fingers crossed.

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
If you can get him as deep as possible as a forward I'd be tempted also. But with the likes of de gooey and Steele similarly priced can't justify.

On the other hand if he looks promising after the ist two weeks I'd be tempted to get him in to sure up ruck cover. Fingers crossed.

In saying that I think with the injury prone players you really need to start them and not trade them in!

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Dunkley. Can someone talk to me about him? He was dead to me once he turned his back on the Swans on draft day. Now it's round 1 and he's in. JS? Game style? CC potential? Anything?

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Sydney gave up Dunkley under the father-son-rule, as they didn't want to match the Bulldogs bid.

Dogs supporters rate him highly. He's 189cm & 86kg according to here: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-17/dunkley-loving-life-at-the-kennel-
Can understand the selection.

I see his JS as quite shaky.

I think it is now a Hewett V Dunkley scenario as both could easily be dropped the following week.
I have Hewitt and will look a little closer at Dunkleys numbers this morning.

Any Dogs/Swans supporters here that can put some weight to the argument?

Last edited:

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
If you look how Beveridge played his rookies at the Dogs last year, it seemed that;

- all of them got a run at some stage
- most seemed to play 3-4 games, then floated in and out between AFL and VFL

The knock on Dunkley is his disposal efficiency, especially his kicking (wonder where that came from?!). He's a really hard, contested type of player.

Hewett has had longer in the AFL system obviously and was outstanding in the NEAFL last year. Was touted as a 1st rd pick early in his draft year but slipped thru the year. Pretty solid, all-round modern midfielder.

I'd take Hewett because of his experience and more certainty over his role.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
I agree about Hewett. I've seen a bit of him and he actually has some real class about him. Makes good decisions. McGlynn, McVeigh and Reid will be the first inclusions when they're fit (Rohan is a ways off) so JS isn't strong but there are a few blokes other than Hewett and Papley playing for their spots (Jones, Cunningham and Robinson...) It'll be survival of the fittest but I think if Hewett plays well he's every chance of staying in the team for a bit.

And Moosey, the Swans didn't match the bid for Dunkley because the kid said he wanted to stay in Melbourne. There's no accounting for taste I guess

Reactions: Prospector

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
I am in the situation where I have this morning decided that keeping Hartley is my best option. I either get him and Mccarthy out for Papley and O. McDonald or him and Parish out for Dea and Dunkley. I feel as though the job security of McDonald and Dunkley is suspect and IF they are dropped in the next 2 weeks, it puts my team in a lot more danger than Hartley not playing.

I think Hartley will play quite a bit of footy for us this year anyway and I'll be backing him to get a game in the next 2 weeks. Not a situation I want to be in or something I have really done before starting a Non playing player but If things dont work out im sure Ill have to make other trades that could free up some cash to change him down the track. Happy supercoaching!!!

Reactions: alman

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Can't we just start calling Hewett 'Lleyton' already?

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
How about Colleen?

Let's decide after he plays tonight! I hoping he'll be a Lleyton!

Random question...what do people think is a solid Team Score for Round 1? I can't remember what life was like before the Green Vest! 2100? 22?

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Papely or McCarthy? Final forward spot.
I'm running with Hartley at this stage although not playing don't want to lose the tippa and Adams Dpp link. Think will come in handy later.

I agree that the link could be useful but it would be quite easy to set it up later. Just trade a forward rookie for a back rookie as part of your downgrade process.

I have been on Hartley all preseason. He should play a few games. Maybe he plays next week. I don't think it is a great sign that the coach has chosen to go with Ambrose ahead of him, especially when we also have Grima to come in too. He could be our 4th or 5th choice full back behind Brown, Ambrose, Grima and Gwilt. Given the fact that there are other forward rookies available that could make money I would not recommend starting Hartley in your forward line.

Last edited:

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Can anyone give me some info on B Kennedy's nab form, just not sure why he's a lock. I wanna trade him down to petracca so i can get menadues 80.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Can anyone give me some info on B Kennedy's nab form, just not sure why he's a lock. I wanna trade him down to petracca so i can get menadues 80.

Scores of 90 76 85 from average 80mins GT over the NAB, always been a decent player, looks locked in the 22, seems silly to take a month or )'s from Petracca for a one of 80 from Menadue.

Reactions: Prospector

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Oliver.... I sense a rookie correction trade coming :eek: