Rookies 2016

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
I really like Parish, more than Oliver, but it's silly to have either on the bench isn't it?

i guess if you don't need that 100k on the field it might not be a bad idea

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Anyone considering floating petracca? Looks like he is back next week

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
I really like Parish, more than Oliver, but it's silly to have either on the bench isn't it?

I've got Oliver on the bench. I even had Mills there as well at one stage but I had to trim my midfield when other rookies didn't get named.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I know Hartley isn't in the AFL this week, but is it still worth getting him over Papley (move Brown forward to do it)? As soon as McGlynn, McVeigh, Reid, Richards, Rohan come back he loses his spot?

Hartley isn't in Essendon's 22 this week, but you'd expect him to come in next week? or is that a risk just not worth taking

McGovern from Crows is the other option I suppose, probably the most sensible

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Anyone considering floating petracca? Looks like he is back next week
Where did you get this bit of information from?

I presume he is referring to this article: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-25/trengove-dares-to-dream-as-petracca-shows-hes-a-gamebreaker

A decent amount of contradictory information but nothing indicating he would be ready for next week.

Quoted:

The 20-year-old, who is making his return from a broken toe suffered while playing basketball in the off-season, will be given a full month of football at VFL level before putting his hand up for senior selection.

However, based on Friday's performance, Demons fans might not be waiting too long to see Petracca running out in red and blue for the first time.

"We're not putting any limits on him and if he earns his spot, he earns his spot," Trengove said.

"Today he definitely put his best foot forward and he's going to take a little while to get his match fitness, as well as I am, but as soon as the medical staff give their tick of approval I'm sure the coaching staff will be keen to get him in there."

Reactions: smirski

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Where did you get this bit of information from?
Nvm reread the article it says he will be given a full month at vfl level, whether thats true or not i dunno

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
I wouldn't be rushing out to get him. As they said in the podcast, he is likely a few weeks away. Even if he is picked rd 4, makes him the perfect downgrade target in rd 6.

Reactions: the cranky one

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
With Hartley out and none of the fwd/def in my fwd line, i'm looking at Tom Lee if he gets named. Bit suspect on his job security though :/
Lee played down back in the VFL in 2015 and from the sounds of things will continue to do so this year.
May get a game later in the year but probably only if there is an injury to a defender.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I know Hartley isn't in the AFL this week, but is it still worth getting him over Papley (move Brown forward to do it)? As soon as McGlynn, McVeigh, Reid, Richards, Rohan come back he loses his spot?

Hartley isn't in Essendon's 22 this week, but you'd expect him to come in next week? or is that a risk just not worth taking

McGovern from Crows is the other option I suppose, probably the most sensible
Not sure about Hartley. Brown and Ambrose are there as tall defenders (maybe add Gwilt and Gleeson too) and given they are all listed players (not top-ups) you'd think they'll get priority if it's a close call. They've shown their hand at selection table and I wouldn't bank on that changing significantly in regards to Hartley. (Edit - don't forget they have Grima in the background too)

McGovern looks a lot like his brother in terms of marking ability. SC scoring potential though looks pretty poor. 2 30's and a 60 in the 3 NAB games off plenty of game-time. And it's a pretty stacked forward line he needs to break into. Not for me but it'll be good to watch him if you pick him.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Not sure about Hartley. Brown and Ambrose are there as tall defenders (maybe add Gwilt and Gleeson too) and given they are all listed players (not top-ups) you'd think they'll get priority if it's a close call.

Hartley isn't a top up, he was a late draft pick, so they should be looking to develop him too

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Hartley isn't a top up, he was a late draft pick, so they should be looking to develop him too
Right you are, was getting him confused.

I guess what they have shown is they're not just going to gift games just because someone is young or inexperienced. They're picking the side they think will be most competitive. Another reason I wouldn't expect guys like Parish, Francis, Laverde, Fantasia to get games just because there's 12 blokes missing unless they've earned it.

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
No Lee, and there are officially no options for me down back. Going to have to downgrade someone (either Parish To Dunkley or Bartel to Rich) to find the cash for another def. rookie

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
Papely or McCarthy? Final forward spot.
I'm running with Hartley at this stage although not playing don't want to lose the tippa and Adams Dpp link. Think will come in handy later.

jester5au

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
May 1, 2015
Anyone else been tempted to drop Grimely and set up a swing ruck link with a Sinclair etc? Now that it seems unlikely that we can get a consistent r3 playing. Considering just holding surely he will play eventually. Do I Dare mention Luey?