Rd 3 trades

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Hey Guys,

Considering no trades this round, which goes against conventional wisdom. I have all the 'must haves'.

Biggest questions marks in my team are D.Rich, M. Barlow, T. Greene, J. Gresham and then there is T. Rockliff.

I'm pretty content to hold form on Rich, Barlow.... Greene I don't mind persisting with also.

My main point of not wanting to trade is there isn't any stand-out options to go to. E.g. Rich to JJ would be a sideways trade with a similar risk profile. While I have $20, 700 in the Bank the only guys trading Rocky too I would consider is Parker, but I'm against going with the masses/bandwagon on that one. I'd rather hold Rocky and target a Pendles type in 2-3 rounds (although I understand having Rockliff and his underused $$$ on the bench is also a poor option).

Similarly I could sideways a Greene/Barlow too a more 'certain' type like a J. Gunston or value type like Z. Merret/ L. Frankling and potentially gain a benefit by lessening my risk profile, but if Greene/Barlow conform back to the mean/expectations then this looks like a wasted trade also.

Can someone give me some thoughts please? I'm not saying I'm sitting here pretty with no issues, I just don't have a obvious issue or target (Rocky would be the biggest priority to trade I suppose).
Sounds like we have somewhat similar teams thought I have no Rich no Greene. I've chosen to go Rocky up to Grey and Gresh to Pap.

There are cases to be made for every one of those possible trade outs and trade ins you mention. Holding all those slightly marginal players could turn out to be the right call or it turn out to be very suboptimal ... and you can do is crunch the stats, read the signs, remember the games you're seen and the make your choice and cross your finger.

Gresham could be a perfect captains loop hole this week - smash it in the 2nds - come back next week and score 100. I'm betting against this. Gresham could come back in six weeks and be a perfectly good downgrade option for Papley who I just swapped him to. I guess I'm betting on something like this.

Reactions: Unforgiven

MVallence90

Mar 22, 2016
Down to 2 options...

#1: Gresh for Papley via DPP, Rocky for Parker/Mitchell/Ward, peanuts $ left
#2: Barlow for Paps, Rocky for RGray, 358k left

Unforgiven

Patron '18
Patron '19
May 14, 2015
Sounds like we have somewhat similar teams thought I have no Rich no Greene. I've chosen to go Rocky up to Grey and Gresh to Pap.

There are cases to be made for every one of those possible trade outs and trade ins you mention. Holding all those slightly marginal players could turn out to be the right call or it turn out to be very suboptimal ... and you can do is crunch the stats, read the signs, remember the games you're seen and the make your choice and cross your finger.

Gresham could be a perfect captains loop hole this week - smash it in the 2nds - come back next week and score 100. I'm betting against this. Gresham could come back in six weeks and be a perfectly good downgrade option for Papley who I just swapped him to. I guess I'm betting on something like this.

Thanks for the thoughts mate, appreciate it.

Think I'll back my blokes in, and go Gresham to one of Ruggles/Byrne/Byrne-Jones or Goodyear and then Rocky to Gray! At least I'm confident and genuinely want Gray.

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Had finally decided Thursday night to keep both Barlow and Rocky just for Friday's news of Crouch absence forcing me to now have to trade on Rocky, DMartin, Zorko & TMitchell are my main targets, I think the former 2 will definitely be top 6 FWDs so they seem safe options to me, Titch I'm just not 100% convinced of his ability to keep up 115 Ave just with his history in loses but this could be his year.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Had finally decided Thursday night to keep both Barlow and Rocky just for Friday's news of Crouch absence forcing me to now have to trade on Rocky, DMartin, Zorko & TMitchell are my main targets, I think the former 2 will definitely be top 6 FWDs so they seem safe options to me, Titch I'm just not 100% convinced of his ability to keep up 115 Ave just with his history in loses but this could be his year.
Not sure you can read much into the history so far. Sub rule, no consistency in him getting a game, and remember he has only played 41 games so he is still relatively inexperienced. There could still be some improvement left in him. I think all of him, Parker and Hanners will average 110 and rotate through roles over the year, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

That said I think I'll stay away from them all, unless there's a priddis-style injury price drop mid year which makes them too cheap to turn down.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Not sure you can read much into the history so far. Sub rule, no consistency in him getting a game, and remember he has only played 41 games so he is still relatively inexperienced. There could still be some improvement left in him. I think all of him, Parker and Hanners will average 110 and rotate through roles over the year, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

That said I think I'll stay away from them all, unless there's a priddis-style injury price drop mid year which makes them too cheap to turn down.

Is there someone under 570 that you'd choose over Parker or Mitchell?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Nah I think they would be the 2 best options under 570k. Shiel could be an option if you were concerned about the Swans taking too many points off each other. If you had another 4k I would suggest looking at Ward as well. If I had an extra 4k I would be getting Dusty, who is just inside your price range too.

moosey

6-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015

I would consider Blitz!
Gives you some flexibility of a ruck goes down and there is no player in the comp that the reduced rotations suit more!

Looks like a 110 ave for me

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Exactly. My Geelong bias is what tipped me over to Selwood over a Parker/Wines type as a starting pick. Fair to say he's disappointed so far but Geelong has a fair run of games ahead. You would want to see some 100+ scores before bringing him in ahead of others though.

I love the Blitz. Just thought that Danger, Selwood, Blitz might be a bit Cat heavy in the mids ;)