Midfielders

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Spoilt for choice in this line.
With so many to choose from it will be very interesting to see arguments for each.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I've been really tempted to take the risk in not starting Fyfe. Love the guy but he just can't string together 22 games.

The thing is, with Dangers DPP, it opens up some options to have a strong bench player in either fwds or mids to bring on for when Fyfe inevitably misses. Still some playing around to happen on this line yet.

Reactions: Drumpf

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
I've been really tempted to take the risk in not starting Fyfe. Love the guy but he just can't string together 22 games.

The thing is, with Dangers DPP, it opens up some options to have a strong bench player in either fwds or mids to bring on for when Fyfe inevitably misses. Still some playing around to happen on this line yet.
Huge call..... with 30 trades for the season, surely we can afford to spend one trading out Fyfe if he goes down with an LTI. This is a guy who averaged 114 last year despite performances of 66, 43, 78 and 75. I reckon he'll probably go at something like 120ppg until he goes down with an injury..... you'd want to hope he gets injured and injured quickly! If you start him and he gets injured, it's not the end of the world, you just spend a trade and lose him, probably to any player in the comp, as his price is likely to be very high. And he's a handy option for the C/VC loophole too. OK I'll stop gushing now ;)

Reactions: Steve

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Surprised to hear the boys potting Neale, I might have to go back & listen again but seemed to just be because he changed clubs, I personally can't see how it's a negative, he's averaged 110 3 seasons in a row, he's just entering his prime, trouble free pre-season, I guess if you think McCluggage & Berry are going to take leaps this year then the points might be spread a bit thin but that seems pretty unlikely (Though I do really like Berry).

Seems one of the safer picks to me.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Surprised to hear the boys potting Neale, I might have to go back & listen again but seemed to just be because he changed clubs, I personally can't see how it's a negative, he's averaged 110 3 seasons in a row, he's just entering his prime, trouble free pre-season, I guess if you think McCluggage & Berry are going to take leaps this year then the points might be spread a bit thin but that seems pretty unlikely (Though I do really like Berry).

Seems one of the safer picks to me.
I'm not against him either for changing clubs. Although I do see some hesitation for other reasons. He has had his best preseason by all reports, but still hard to see him increasing his average by a lot. He could go 115 but he's no guarantee to go 110+, and could just as easily have a great season but only average 105-108. He started last year off slowly, failing to score over 100 in his first 5 games. There's a bunch of Lions players I can see improving this year as well and I think they have more good scorers than Freo have had in the last few years.

So I'm considering him, but he looks like a good candidate to see how the dust settles and upgrade to him through the year. At that price he'd have to go 120+ to hurt you for not picking him, and I can't see him doing that.

Drumpf

Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2018
Melbourne
I'm not against him either for changing clubs. Although I do see some hesitation for other reasons. He has had his best preseason by all reports, but still hard to see him increasing his average by a lot. He could go 115 but he's no guarantee to go 110+, and could just as easily have a great season but only average 105-108. He started last year off slowly, failing to score over 100 in his first 5 games. There's a bunch of Lions players I can see improving this year as well and I think they have more good scorers than Freo have had in the last few years.

So I'm considering him, but he looks like a good candidate to see how the dust settles and upgrade to him through the year. At that price he'd have to go 120+ to hurt you for not picking him, and I can't see him doing that.

TBH, i can’t really see blokes like mccluggage & Berry taking too many points off him if a star like Fyffe wasn’t doing so when they played together...

Actually think Neale that will dominate the SC scoring at his new club with limited number of others pinching points from him.

JDavey

Feb 21, 2019
The player who took the most points off Neale last year was Walters.

Walters out: Neale AVG 138 (5 Games)
Walters mainly FWD: Neale AVG 120 (6 Games)
Walters mainly MID: Neale AVG 96 (11 Games)

The question I'd be asking is who does Brisbane have that would compete with Neale in a similar fashion to how Walters did? (Zorko? McCluggage? Llyons?)

Reactions: Haychh

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
TBH, i can’t really see blokes like mccluggage & Berry taking too many points off him if a star like Fyffe wasn’t doing so when they played together...

Actually think Neale that will dominate the SC scoring at his new club with limited number of others pinching points from him.
Yeah but there wasn't much after Fyfe. Last year it was Walters sometimes, otherwise it was mostly first year players with Blakely and Langdon going through at times.

Zorko is the obvious main one. Lyons is also there too. Then you've got some real top class talent coming through with some games now under their belt - Mcluggage, Berry, Rayner. Others who might progress are Mathieson, Robertson, Cutler and Keays. Some pacey guys who are getting more mid time this year in Taylor and Cameron. Rich is apparently spending more time around the middle this year. Old-stagers in Bastinac, Robbo, Hodge, Christensen might get some time. Not to mention Stef is better at gathering the ball than Sandi.

There's plenty of names there and the top end talent is more progressed than he had at Freo. So I don't possibly see how he scores much more than he did at Freo. Not saying he'll go down, but can't see him making a big jump up.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Yeah but there wasn't much after Fyfe. Last year it was Walters sometimes, otherwise it was mostly first year players with Blakely and Langdon going through at times.

Zorko is the obvious main one. Lyons is also there too. Then you've got some real top class talent coming through with some games now under their belt - Mcluggage, Berry, Rayner. Others who might progress are Mathieson, Robertson, Cutler and Keays. Some pacey guys who are getting more mid time this year in Taylor and Cameron. Rich is apparently spending more time around the middle this year. Old-stagers in Bastinac, Robbo, Hodge, Christensen might get some time. Not to mention Stef is better at gathering the ball than Sandi.

There's plenty of names there and the top end talent is more progressed than he had at Freo. So I don't possibly see how he scores much more than he did at Freo. Not saying he'll go down, but can't see him making a big jump up.

Well sh!t, thought I had him locked in.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Well sh!t, thought I had him locked in.
I honestly reckon you should stick with Neale if you really like him. I just love a player coming into the age that he is - about to turn 26, 135 games under his belt and has played 118 of the last 120 games. Came home like a steam train last year and even had 132SC in that 133 point drubbing against Geelong. He'll be super motivated to impress the new boss and they'll be equally as motivated to throw him straight into the thick of it.

inwhiterooms

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Neale has been in my side for a lot of the pre-season. New club or not he's an absolute stud.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Neale has been in my side for a lot of the pre-season. New club or not he's an absolute stud.
He's still a good pick.

For me, there's 3 guys around his price who I reckon will go 120+ if all goes well for them this year. Oliver probably won't be far off either. Whereas I think Neale tops out at 115 - I could be wrong and maybe he does go 120+. Maybe the others get injured and he does turn out better.

Personal preference, I'm going with the risk of injury rather than the risk of missing one of these guys going 125+ for the first month or two.

The one I can't get a clear read on is Oliver. He was great for me last year. Just tapered off at the end of the year a little bit. Whether it was young body hitting the wall or his shoulders causing him issues (which are now fixed hopefully)? Difficult to say whether he pushes up to the 120 mark or stays in the 110-115 range for another year. I think I need to find room for him.

Also not sure what to do with the mid-$500k options. They've historically not worked out very well. Not always bad, but the only one in the last 2 years who's really jumped up into the 112+ group from that price bracket was Cripps last year. There's a lot there this year, I just don't know I can pick any of them with any great confidence?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
He's still a good pick.

For me, there's 3 guys around his price who I reckon will go 120+ if all goes well for them this year. Oliver probably won't be far off either. Whereas I think Neale tops out at 115 - I could be wrong and maybe he does go 120+. Maybe the others get injured and he does turn out better.

Personal preference, I'm going with the risk of injury rather than the risk of missing one of these guys going 125+ for the first month or two.

The one I can't get a clear read on is Oliver. He was great for me last year. Just tapered off at the end of the year a little bit. Whether it was young body hitting the wall or his shoulders causing him issues (which are now fixed hopefully)? Difficult to say whether he pushes up to the 120 mark or stays in the 110-115 range for another year. I think I need to find room for him.

Also not sure what to do with the mid-$500k options. They've historically not worked out very well. Not always bad, but the only one in the last 2 years who's really jumped up into the 112+ group from that price bracket was Cripps last year. There's a lot there this year, I just don't know I can pick any of them with any great confidence?

Hmmm, Fyfe, Kelly, who is the 3rd?

Got to agree about the mid 500K players, I like Merrett, have had Crouch in the past & can't deal with guys getting 40 touches and not breaking 100points though do want some exposure to Crows players, Dusty? His Brownlow year looks an outlier to me & I think Champion Data caught up to him last year.

Reactions: Nicko and Steve

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
Loving the Neale discussion, I've always enjoyed owning him and despite seeing him receiving the tap downs from big Stef and shoveling it out to Zorko I won't start with him this year.

At the other end of the spectrum who has info on James Cousins? I know 219k is awkward but it seems like he worked hard through the middle over the weekend. more likely to score well than Walsh, Rankine and LDU?

Reactions: Benj

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Loving the Neale discussion, I've always enjoyed owning him and despite seeing him receiving the tap downs from big Stef and shoveling it out to Zorko I won't start with him this year.
I started Neale last year. I was underwhelmed ...

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018
How many premium midfielders are you all starting with? I have a lineup that is starting with 4 and 2 mid pricers

Macrae, Martin, M Crouch, Brayshaw
I am certain on all except Crouch?

Shiel & Tarranto? Keen to hear everyone’s thoughts on these 2 cheapies.

I like Tarranto to take a big step up with Shiel leaving.

I think Shiel is a star and will push into 110 ave player...

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London

At the other end of the spectrum who has info on James Cousins? I know 219k is awkward but it seems like he worked hard through the middle over the weekend. more likely to score well than Walsh, Rankine and LDU?
We’ll know more next week when Sheils, O’meara, Burgoyne and Smith rotate through. Looks ok though if they give home a crack.

Azza Jones

Aspiring Coach
Mar 13, 2018

I won’t be starting Fyfe. Will get more attention since Neale left, has a poor injury & disciplinary record. You will have the chance to upgrade (or pick him up cheap) around the byes if he is doing well.

Reactions: Steve