Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
If you're going to pick Leuy then do it in the forward line. That way there's options if it doesn't work out. In the ruck line you've got nowhere to go as happened to plenty of people with TBC last year.

I don't mind the pick actually and had him in my forward line for a long time. I just unearthed better picks along the way and he eventually dropped out. He might still make his way back in, because as you say he can score well when he's fully fit and firing.

Reactions: Prospector

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
It's just so hard to pick blokes with so much injury history. There should be a category name for them. Guys like Leuey, Menzel, Mummy...

Shinboner

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 19, 2016
I remember about 4 yrs back ( maybe 2012?)when we had 2 forwards available like a Sam Gray and Aaron Hall that were debated all preseason.
Their names were Patrick Dangerfield and Dayne Beams. (Both priced in the 400s I think)

There was a lot of debate on which one we should pick. Could we pick both? We all thought Danger would one day be a gun and Beams had finished the previous year strongly.

I only had the guts to pick one of them as did most of us did ....I went with Danger but then ended up picking up Beams half what through the year at a much higher price. ( not sure but beams may of had a few niggles going into the season)
Still No one expected him to do what he did that year.

If only I'd taken both from the start.

Not saying Hall or Gray ( or even Greene) for that matter will ever become a Danger or a Beams but it's definitely food for thought and you just never know who will take that next step.
Tempted to gamble on 2 of them.

Mar 3, 2016
Hey guys what's your thoughts on Shaun Higgins? I'm tossing up between him and Hall at the moment... or some combination of two of Higgins, Hall or Greene..i think higgins is a real chance to replicate and improve on last year..! I'm still not sold on Dusty either..thoughts?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Hey guys what's your thoughts on Shaun Higgins? I'm tossing up between him and Hall at the moment... or some combination of two of Higgins, Hall or Greene..i think higgins is a real chance to replicate and improve on last year..! I'm still not sold on Dusty either..thoughts?

Higgins, if he stays fit, will be a top 10 FWD minimum.

Brky

Aspiring Coach
Jun 12, 2015
I remember about 4 yrs back ( maybe 2012?)when we had 2 forwards available like a Sam Gray and Aaron Hall that were debated all preseason.
Their names were Patrick Dangerfield and Dayne Beams. (Both priced in the 400s I think)

There was a lot of debate on which one we should pick. Could we pick both? We all thought Danger would one day be a gun and Beams had finished the previous year strongly.

I only had the guts to pick one of them as did most of us did ....I went with Danger but then ended up picking up Beams half what through the year at a much higher price. ( not sure but beams may of had a few niggles going into the season)
Still No one expected him to do what he did that year.

If only I'd taken both from the start.

Not saying Hall or Gray ( or even Greene) for that matter will ever become a Danger or a Beams but it's definitely food for thought and you just never know who will take that next step.
Tempted to gamble on 2 of them.
Add Sidebottom to that. He went from mid 80s to mid 100s if I recall correct. The big debate pre season was can you have pendles swan beams and sidebottom in the same team.

Shinboner

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 19, 2016
I had Higgins from round 1 last year. Was a risky pick but paid off big time......but this year I won't be going anywhere near him.

Few reasons.
Last year he was a defender which like this year is the weakest position.
As a forward there a too many other good options.
He was underpriced last year and so worth a gamble.....not this year.
Last year he had a seemless preseason........This off season he has undergone knee surgery. Will be right for round 1 but.....RED FLAG!!!
He only limped through the end of last season.

And this.......Last year NDS was missing for a big chunk of the season and Wells pretty much missed the whole year......both outside players that will take points off him and probably push him forward where he will rely heavily on goals to score well.
Love my Roos but only Goldy and Wells for me to start with.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I've been looking at a FWD line of Barlow, Hall, Gray & Greene & in all honestly despite some concerns mainly over Greene stagnating I don't mind how it looks, I'm off Dusty, want Lids but it's big price to pay, Zorko's out for R1, the premiums in the FWD line just arn't that appealing at this stage,

Gray's score in the last Pre-Season game with Ports full midfield in has really swayed me, liked him before that but was concerned 85-90 might be his ceiling but I think they are just going to let him do his thing in the Middle let R Gray & a couple others be a little more outside.

Reactions: Shinboner

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
I've been looking at a FWD line of Barlow, Hall, Gray & Greene & in all honestly despite some concerns mainly over Greene stagnating I don't mind how it looks, I'm off Dusty, want Lids but it's big price to pay, Zorko's out for R1, the premiums in the FWD line just arn't that appealing at this stage,

Gray's score in the last Pre-Season game with Ports full midfield in has really swayed me, liked him before that but was concerned 85-90 might be his ceiling but I think they are just going to let him do his thing in the Middle let R Gray & a couple others be a little more outside.

I've also been giving Gray some serious thought. As you mentioned he played midfield despite Port having a full strength team apart from Polec. He's shown he can match it with the big boys in the middle and it seems like he'll get plenty of midfield minutes this season. Plus he has a great bye (round 14).

What are people's thoughts on Gray vs Buddy? Will probably only have room to take one into the season. Buddy is more proven but is mighty frustrating, whereas Sam Gray has potential but is still relatively unproven.

Shinboner

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 19, 2016
I've also been giving Gray some serious thought. As you mentioned he played midfield despite Port having a full strength team apart from Polec. He's shown he can match it with the big boys in the middle and it seems like he'll get plenty of midfield minutes this season. Plus he has a great bye (round 14).

What are people's thoughts on Gray vs Buddy? Will probably only have room to take one into the season. Buddy is more proven but is mighty frustrating, whereas Sam Gray has potential but is still relatively unproven.
Haven't been sucked into the Buddy vacuum last 3 yrs and won't be again.
Too inconsistent.
Huge upside but all too often disappointing.
Always misses games when your team is already stretched in the tail end of the season.
No thanks.
Rather take a gamble on Gray.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Buddy is in my never again basket. If it was a choice between him and Jesse White, I would have to have a good long think about it. Go with Gray.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I'm not keen on Gray at all. I do want to get another $400k+ guy in my forward line, but can't decide. I have Barlow and Hall. Greene was in there for a while but interest had faded.

Bennell and Christensen are interesting. But, I think I might go with Robinson... Thoughts??

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Bennell is the new and improved Buddy-coaster. I had him last year. When he actually plays its great. Then he misses 2 weeks. Then comes back for 3. Then misses 4. Incredibly frustrating. But so much upside and potential. I can't pick him though.

Reactions: Prospector

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
I would love to pick Bennell but want to see a bit of consistency early on and that he'll be in a role where he'll be getting amongst the goals. Given the discipline that Lyon demands of players, I'd want to know that he's going to be able to capitalise on the scoreboard most weeks to compensate for any sacrifices he makes to his more natural game.

On Leuenberger, he was someone I had my eye on before pre-season began due to being cheap and a R/F. He is a quality ruckman who can be very good in general play around the ground and could well walk into Essendon and be their best player in a year when things are tough. However I just couldn't pick him on the basis of having had that calf/foot/Achilles problem that he's had in the past and his lack of games. That makes me feel as though he'll be on the LTI list within three rounds. Hope not though.

Leuenberger might be someone we should all have on the radar though. If he starts alright, he could still be gettable at a cheap price as an early upgrade if he looks fit enough.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Lids maybe in doubt for R1.
yep, swapped Lids for Milera and grabbed Pendles in the middle. I have Barlow and Buddy up forward at the moment, then Wells, B.Kennedy, Kerridge, Milera, McCarthy, Menadue

Feeling like taking a punt on Buddy, had a shocking year last year and still averaged 90, I remember I was considering him early on as an upgrade because he was going badly in terms of his high standards, and still managed to average 90.

Also something that's stuck with me (and I 100% agree with and makes sense), is one of the boys on the podcast last year (preseason one) were saying it's better to start an injury prone/risky player than it is to upgrade to him. If you get on the wagon too late you'll waste an extra trade and miss out on scores+value once they do get injured. [Applies to someone who doesn't have doubted scoring ability, just durability issues. Buddy we know can match anyone while he's on the park, so I'll take that risk]

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
For those considering Sam Gray, have a look at Port's draw. They have a dream start. First 8 weeks reads Saints Crows Bombers Giants Cats Tigers Lions Blues and it isn't too bad after the bye either. Makes the other Gray tempting as well!

Reactions: TwentyThree