X v. Y

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
....BTW living in London sucks for various reasons, not the least being that whenever I write a post I have to wait hours for you guys to wake up!!

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I've been pretty set on my rucks but now I'm considering a change. My two options and their repercussions down back are:

1) R2 Martin and D4 Weitering
vs
2) R2 Nic Nat and D4 Lonergan

Option 2 feels like more risk but I'm leaning towards it. Thoughts appreciated.

I don't think 2 is a risk at all, Dog Dog looks like he's firing on all cylinders and set for a big year and Lonergan at D4 is not a bad pick and in the right possie.

I like option 2 also because Weitering IMO is to expensive as D4.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
WWhat i ment by to expensive is as a rookie, the Backline needs to be pretty strong this year, and with the beter rookies down in the forward line you can grab an extra down there with more confidence.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
So my mids are as good as set, but have one last decision to make. So thought i might throw it to the community for some input.

Sidebottom V Gaff - both very similar players, in all aspects of price, age and style of play.

Sidebum is very much an outside runner that may get sometime in the middle but with the Pies being so deep will mostly play around the wing in a link type roll, and may just remain at this 104 avg due to the roll.

NAB 1 - 28 possies 15 cont, 64% DE 1 goal
NAB 2 - DNP
NAB 3 - 27 possies 7 cont, 63% DE
Last 4 yrs averaged in H&A 106 (21),103 (22),113 (19),104 (16)

Gaff very much coming into his own in the WC midfield, and i can see this durable player taking the next step, and even increasing by 10pts a game.

NAB 1 - DNP
NAB 2 - 30 possies 10 cont, 63% DE
NAB 3 - 28 possies 6 cont, 68% DE 2 goals
Last 4 yrs averaged in H&A 90 (22), 71 (22), 87 (22), 103 (22)

Obviuosly both with questionable DE effeicency during the NAB but i'm looking past that and putting it down to cobwebs.

Reactions: Benj

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
So my mids are as good as set, but have one last decision to make. So thought i might throw it to the community for some input.

Sidebottom V Gaff - both very similar players, in all aspects of price, age and style of play.

Sidebum is very much an outside runner that may get sometime in the middle but with the Pies being so deep will mostly play around the wing in a link type roll, and may just remain at this 104 avg due to the roll.

NAB 1 - 28 possies 15 cont, 64% DE 1 goal
NAB 2 - DNP
NAB 3 - 27 possies 7 cont, 63% DE
Last 4 yrs averaged in H&A 106 (21),103 (22),113 (19),104 (16)

Gaff very much coming into his own in the WC midfield, and i can see this durable player taking the next step, and even increasing by 10pts a game.

NAB 1 - DNP
NAB 2 - 30 possies 10 cont, 63% DE
NAB 3 - 28 possies 6 cont, 68% DE 2 goals
Last 4 yrs averaged in H&A 90 (22), 71 (22), 87 (22), 103 (22)

Obviuosly both with questionable DE effeicency during the NAB but i'm looking past that and putting it down to cobwebs.

Gaff is a real speculator but I like it. Sidebottom is a solid POD but so much so that it seems he's rapidly becoming everyone's favourite POD which kind of defeats the purpose. I'm not as sure as you on Gaff's ceiling but he's defs on an upward curve. He'll probably find more of it with Shuey out but that may also mean a bit more attention. But I say go for it. Not much downside and if you like him then it'll be fun to watch.

Pendlesss

Mar 14, 2016
Just to let you know - over the years several collingwood players have named sidebottom as the best kick at their club, if he clangers, it's usually because he's trying to make a pass TOO perfect. Next time you watch him, try and notice how he tries to make the trajectory and speed of his passes absolutely perfect.
I'd much prefer sidebots over gaff simply because of bots' scoring history. They both have high ceilings but I think he's a better pick. Before getting injured last year (much like wines), sidebots was looking to have a big year - I'm a little bit cautious about treloars inclusion..if he didn't come into the side, I'd 100% be picking sidebottom this year since swan was moving to fwd line
Hope that helps a bit

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Cheers for the input lads, i know i should take Sidey as was pointed out he will be one of the most selected POD's around by R1 and their Mid depth i see the very similar problems as Sydney with the sharing of points.
Although the Mids are reasonably strong at WC, Gaff will be in amongst it week in week out and will truely be a POD (whether good or bad we'll see).
5 days to make up my mind i guess.
Cheers again, much appreciate it.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I'd advise caution on Gaff. He averaged 29 disposals last year - he won't improve on that. He's an outside uncontested player who doesn't hit the scoreboard, get contested possessions or lay tackles. He basically runs up and down one wing all day providing link up play.

He averaged 103 last year, I can't see where he improves his game to get his scoring beyond 105. In fact, if there's injuries to Priddis/Shuey/Masten/Redden or the Eagles don't do so well this year then he might find less ball in his hands and his average drops 10 points.

Reactions: currymunchers

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Selwood reported got through his VFL warm up with flying colours. So:

Fyfe + Mitch Brown (ESS)

vs

Selwood + Lonergan

Lonergan would be D4, otherwise I'm fielding 3x backline rookies. :eek:

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016

Fyfe + Mitch Brown (ESS)

vs

Selwood + Lonergan

Don't think you can start Selwood after 1 VFL game, also you should try and improve your backline starting 3 rookies on field is risky

Reactions: cactus

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
With the uncertainty on Dusty this year, one of my favourite players and start with him every year but this whole thing happening off the field with him I can see it affecting his scoring, So I'm deciding not to start with him.

The forward line premium options are thin this year, was looking at zorko but then he got suspended. there are really only 2 I'm looking at that can replace Martin, with their easy draw too start the season I can see both scoring well.

Chad Wingard vs Sam Gray

I like the consistency Wingard has, only has the odd poor game and can go big at times but can he improve on last years form with monfries out of the team?

The riskier of the two is definitely Gray, after a solid nab challenge does he's improvement and potential upside out way the risk?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
With the uncertainty on Dusty this year, one of my favourite players and start with him every year but this whole thing happening off the field with him I can see it affecting his scoring, So I'm deciding not to start with him.

The forward line premium options are thin this year, was looking at zorko but then he got suspended. there are really only 2 I'm looking at that can replace Martin, with their easy draw too start the season I can see both scoring well.

Chad Wingard vs Sam Gray

I like the consistency Wingard has, only has the odd poor game and can go big at times but can he improve on last years form with monfries out of the team?

The riskier of the two is definitely Gray, after a solid nab challenge does he's improvement and potential upside out way the risk?

I reckon they'll both end up around 90, Gray a little more consistent

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

Fyfe + Mitch Brown (ESS)

vs

Selwood + Lonergan

If your not comfortable starting 3 rooks back there maybe 2 300kish instead

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
I would take Sidebottom ahead of Gaff.

I think three rookies on field in defence sounds just about right. I am actually going with four at the moment, myself.

Reactions: the cranky one

halnon_7

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Mar 5, 2016
I'm looking at Sidebottom as a POD, but have too many R13 bye players so far...

The question stumping me, is Crouch or Crouch. Which one would you be backing?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
B Crouch & 117k defender Vs Weitering & Menadue ?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Also Weitering Vs Dea

(apologies if already done)