Trades & SC 2016

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Heeney up forward and Thurlow done back interest me a little, that 70 average doesn't look too bad up against the Bont's first season average from Heeney,
Thurlow fell away badly towards the end of the season but was first full season and had a shocking injury in preseason, types I'm really unlikely to start with but wouldn't suprise me if they had breakout seasons.
I looked at Heeney up forward very briefly when I saw him available there, but never really considered him as a genuine option. The up side is injury troubles last year... If you take out his injury affected games he goes up to 79 average and also had a couple good 100+ games late

buuuuuuuut, big BUT... when Heeney scored his two 100+ games Parker wasn't playing and Kieren Jack did his knee early in one of them

also Bontempelli became one of our main midfielders when Cooney and Griffen left, Boyd got moved down back... Wallis, Bont, Picken, Macrae were probably our main mids, and out of them Bont is probably our most dangerous with ball in hand... At Sydney Heeney is much further down, Hanners, Parker, Kennedy, Mitchell, K.Jack then maybe Heeney after that? +Mills gets brought in

I haven't looked at Thurlow yet but I'm not particularly interested in him

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I haven't looked at Thurlow yet but I'm not particularly interested in him

It was mentioned a while ago in this thread that Geelong should have a new 90-100ppg avg defender coming through soon. I would back Thurlow to be that guy. Probably not this year though.

Reactions: J-Dog and TomCat

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Just listened to the podcast, and I had all their locks already except Goldy, so playing around with him in the side, to afford him I brought in Nicholls instead of Nic Nat, and Goldy instead of Stefan Martin... I really do rate Nicholls if he gets a good run at it, had his first complete preseason, started from day 1 and he also gets Ablett, Prestia, O'Meara and Swallow back at his feet without Zac Smith stealing points. Don't think there's any other realistic threat to take #1 ruck duties away from him, he kinda reminds me of the Nic Nat pick in 2015

risk is injury but soon as he goes down Currie becomes #1 ruck so I should be able to cover that with Currie on the bench if it's short termView attachment 199
Not sure I've got the testicular fortitude to go Nicholls but you make a good case ...

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Just listened to the podcast, and I had all their locks already except Goldy, so playing around with him in the side, to afford him I brought in Nicholls instead of Nic Nat, and Goldy instead of Stefan Martin... I really do rate Nicholls if he gets a good run at it, had his first complete preseason, started from day 1 and he also gets Ablett, Prestia, O'Meara and Swallow back at his feet without Zac Smith stealing points. Don't think there's any other realistic threat to take #1 ruck duties away from him, he kinda reminds me of the Nic Nat pick in 2015

risk is injury but soon as he goes down Currie becomes #1 ruck so I should be able to cover that with Currie on the bench if it's short termView attachment 199
Very close to my side at the moment but I've got two primo rucks and Danger in the midfield and no Carlton "promos" in the backline.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I would laugh if someone had Rampe as a starter. Should be solid at least and unlikely to take a step backwards ... but I like to hear some solid arguments as to why he might improve before putting him in my own team.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I think Dane Rampe also another one to watch down back
There was talk last year that the Swans reckon he's actually a midfielder, but they haven't had anyone to play his role in defence (Alex Johnson would've been perfect, poor fella). If the Swans could get another 'third tall' in defence then he'd be worth a look.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I would laugh if someone had Rampe as a starter. Should be solid at least and unlikely to take a step backwards ... but I like to hear some solid arguments as to why he might improve before putting him in my own team.
26 years old this year, in his prime, Shaw gone, Rampe wants a more attacking role, other players looking for that role are Laidler and Zac Jones. I'd rather the ball in Rampe's hands than either of them

there's reasons, he's not in my side yet but I'll be watching how he goes during NAB

Reactions: Prospector

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
There was talk last year that the Swans reckon he's actually a midfielder, but they haven't had anyone to play his role in defence (Alex Johnson would've been perfect, poor fella). If the Swans could get another 'third tall' in defence then he'd be worth a look.
Talia? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha only joking, he won't make their NEAFL team

Reactions: TwentyThree

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I like to hear some solid arguments as to why he might improve before putting him in my own team.

Since Sydney drafted him he has missed only a handful of matches (4-5) each year increasing his average and scoring more consistently. I think the way Sydney used him last year is a taste of what's to come this year. He generally uses the ball well and does move up the ground. As you said he would be a solid pick if nothing else, he will/should play every game and after averaging 85 in his 3rd year should increase this to at least 90 putting him into the top 10-15 defenders and would look great at D5-6. Also shown he can score above 130 but just like most young guys can fail and did score as low as 42 (better than a zero), but now he's got a few seasons under his belt those low scores wont be as bad. The less people looking at him the better, he wont be a popular pick so all the better for those willing to look outside the box.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Re: Rampe. Yeah. Solid pick. Unlikely to make or break you season I reckon. I'm certainly open to bringing him in if he looks to be going OK. A few ahead of him for a starting possie I think ...

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Wells is my question. F4, F5, where are you guys comfortable having him?
I has to come down to where the rooks end up being available doesn't it? I'm currently overloaded in the midfield and underloaded in the forward line (Wells or Jedi at F4) but the can easily change.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
This is where it can start to get dangerous. It would be so easy to load up on 3 premo forwards and then have Wells, Simpkin and a rookie/Kerridge on field. Its so tempting. Its also asking for trouble. Going with that structure can potentially give you the cash to go with 5 plus Libba in the mids. Im not sure I've got the balls to do it. Wells and Simpkin at f5 and 6 for me.

Reactions: Dino

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
This is where it can start to get dangerous. It would be so easy to load up on 3 premo forwards and then have Wells, Simpkin and a rookie/Kerridge on field. Its so tempting. Its also asking for trouble. Going with that structure can potentially give you the cash to go with 5 plus Libba in the mids. Im not sure I've got the balls to do it. Wells and Simpkin at f5 and 6 for me.
There will be some who push the boundaries though and load up in the mids. They will convince themselves its the winning formula for the 50K. Not sure my gonads are big enough either. Prefer a side that's a bit more balanced

Wells at F5 for me. Just have to find a decent F4

Reactions: Steve