Rucks 2016

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Im a fan of Kreuzer but the amount of injuries and time off he has had is a worry.

If he is Rucking instead of FF then he will score better but i cant see Carlton playing more as a ruck than FF.

Still undecided on R2, Goldy and Currie at R1&3 with Martin at R2 at this stage.

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Still undecided on R2, Goldy and Currie at R1&3 with Martin at R2 at this stage.

same here, Martin seems the safest pick at R2 but hate that he has the same bye as Goldy
between Martin, Blicavs, Nic Nat and Gawn for me. Think Jacobs is going to have a bad year without danger in the crows midfield.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
same here, Martin seems the safest pick at R2 but hate that he has the same bye as Goldy
between Martin, Blicavs, Nic Nat and Gawn for me. Think Jacobs is going to have a bad year without danger in the crows midfield.
agree although i am not considering Blicavs any more due to Danger coming in and stealing SC points from him. Not totally sold on Gawn but yeh Martin, NicNat or Gawn for R2 atm

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
Would've loved to have seen Gawn come up against a decent ruckman in the preseason. His tons last year came against:

St Kilda 118 (Longer)
Geelong 146 (Blicavs/Walker)
Essendon 150 (Mckernan)
Brisbane 105 (Leuey/Stef)
St Kilda 110 (Longer)
Collingwood 104 (Witts/Grundy)
Freo 106 (Sandi) - did a stack of junk time work with 76 points in the 2nd half
GWS 101 (Downie)

His lower scores came against Nicnat, Goldy, Campbell and Kreuz. Whilst there aren't actually that many quality ruckmen going around, it would've been nice to see how he fared against good opposition in his current form. So far in the preseason he's dominated Lobbe (who looked deplorable) and Minson/Campbell (in a Dogs reserves team), and annoyingly they play the saints in the final game so he'll invariably dominate again. That is my one sticking point with him - how will he go this year against the Goldstein, Sauce, Nicnat, Mummy types? He comes up against Mummy round 1 and Goldy round 3 so we will find out very early in the season.

Having said all that I do think Gawn will be a good pick given his tendency to beat up on the lesser rucks and his seemingly huge HTA % (I swear he's been hitting almost everything down a teammate's throat!), but there is that slight question mark which makes me wonder if he can hit the 110+ mark people seem to be expecting. At this stage I'm going with Martin given the fact he doesn't rely on hitouts to get good scores and averaged 117 in the 8 games Leuey didn't play, but I can see Gawn averaging just as much (if not more) provided he manages reasonable scores against the big guns.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Would've loved to have seen Gawn come up against a decent ruckman in the preseason. His tons last year came against:

St Kilda 118 (Longer)
Geelong 146 (Blicavs/Walker)
Essendon 150 (Mckernan)
Brisbane 105 (Leuey/Stef)
St Kilda 110 (Longer)
Collingwood 104 (Witts/Grundy)
Freo 106 (Sandi) - did a stack of junk time work with 76 points in the 2nd half
GWS 101 (Downie)

His lower scores came against Nicnat, Goldy, Campbell and Kreuz. Whilst there aren't actually that many quality ruckmen going around, it would've been nice to see how he fared against good opposition in his current form. So far in the preseason he's dominated Lobbe (who looked deplorable) and Minson/Campbell (in a Dogs reserves team), and annoyingly they play the saints in the final game so he'll invariably dominate again. That is my one sticking point with him - how will he go this year against the Goldstein, Sauce, Nicnat, Mummy types? He comes up against Mummy round 1 and Goldy round 3 so we will find out very early in the season.

Having said all that I do think Gawn will be a good pick given his tendency to beat up on the lesser rucks and his seemingly huge HTA % (I swear he's been hitting almost everything down a teammate's throat!), but there is that slight question mark which makes me wonder if he can hit the 110+ mark people seem to be expecting. At this stage I'm going with Martin given the fact he doesn't rely on hitouts to get good scores and averaged 117 in the 8 games Leuey didn't play, but I can see Gawn averaging just as much (if not more) provided he manages reasonable scores against the big guns.

I too have moved to Martin, but I can see Gawn just grabbing Mummy in R1 and biting his head Ozzie style to send a message to everyone that he's the real deal. Then we will all have to change our duds and look for ways to get him. (at least that's how my dream went!)

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Looking at Melb's draw, Gawn only come sup against North, Eagles, Freo, Crows once. Food for thought.

Reactions: cactus

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Draw in my opinion effects rucks much more than any other player, I might have a closer look at the draw for all our major options

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Jacobs has the hardest ruck draw, plays Sandi, Goldy and Nic Nat twice

While Gawn's hardest ruck he plays twice is probably Pies or Hawks, but we saw him dominate Pies rucks... I think he'll go worse against Sandi, Nic Nat, Mumford, Jacobs and Goldy when he plays them twice than say Nic Nat would though

Draw is definitely in Gawn's favour for ruck points though

Mar 7, 2016
Im going Steph Goldy Cox and Grimley forward bench. Start strong and backup with cheapos who should rise in value. I'm looking to do my savings in the forward and back line as that's where premo options are more of a gamble anyway.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Does anybody think Currie could genuinely take #1 ruck duties from Nicholls? When Z.Smith wasn't playing Nicholls still didn't get THAT many hitouts, mostly low 20s, Currie on the other hand is a more mature ruck playing under Goldy and is actually bloody good at what he does... I'll be watching the last NAB closely, I think for 160k Currie could genuinely be a rookie whom we need his scores on field to be taking advantage of his value. Especially if mid rookies are thin

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
Does anybody think Currie could genuinely take #1 ruck duties from Nicholls? When Z.Smith wasn't playing Nicholls still didn't get THAT many hitouts, mostly low 20s, Currie on the other hand is a more mature ruck playing under Goldy and is actually bloody good at what he does... I'll be watching the last NAB closely, I think for 160k Currie could genuinely be a rookie whom we need his scores on field to be taking advantage of his value. Especially if mid rookies are thin

I get the feeling the Suns will give Nicholls first crack as he probably has more potential than Currie, who seems to be just an honest, hard-working ruckman. If Nicholls isn't cutting the mustard in the early rounds, then Currie gets a go.