Rucks 2016

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I feel like if you don't start with Goldy it's hard to plan to get him.

At the moment I think maybe going Goldy and a midprice type favoring Sinclair at this moment,

Reactions: Prospector

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I feel like if you don't start with Goldy it's hard to plan to get him.

At the moment I think maybe going Goldy and a midprice type favoring Sinclair at this moment,
Agreed about Goldy. He's probably not going to average 128 and finish the year at 700k. But even if he averages 120 and hovers around 650, it's still at least 2 trades to get him. The problem then is hoping to get a solid midpricer at R2 because spending 1.2mil on your starting rucks hurts. Lobbe has to improve from last year, surely. But enough to be a set and forget keeper?

Reactions: Prospector

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Agreed about Goldy. He's probably not going to average 128 and finish the year at 700k. But even if he averages 120 and hovers around 650, it's still at least 2 trades to get him. The problem then is hoping to get a solid midpricer at R2 because spending 1.2mil on your starting rucks hurts. Lobbe has to improve from last year, surely. But enough to be a set and forget keeper?
That's why Sinclair's a good one to start. You can swing him forward when you trade out a rookie from F5 or F6, and Sinclair could be a premium Forward, and you trade in Goldy without wasting trades on a midpricer like Lobbe or Nicholls but you still get Goldy in the end

Reactions: Steve

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Throwing a really insane idea out there. If Currie is named round 1 he could score decently, 60-70 scores most weeks and if Nicholls gets injured then 90-100+ most weeks

If you have Currie at R2, Grimley R3 then you could get an extra midfield premium at M5 instead of a ruck premo at R2, then you trade up Currie to Goldy when you have the cash, that's another way it's not wasting trades on midpricers

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
The other discussion is do you get a cheap ruck that will play at R3 or the cheapest ruck that wont play so you can use the loophole??

Im starting with Mummy and Goldy at this stage

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
The other discussion is do you get a cheap ruck that will play at R3 or the cheapest ruck that wont play so you can use the loophole??

Im starting with Mummy and Goldy at this stage
I think loophole is overrated, You can see when Goldy's big scores are coming so you can captain him then. Also when you can't see a big score coming from Goldy you just put it on Ablett. In 2014 excluding his injury game and the Bulldogs game he was averaging around 150.

Most of the time you'll have an injury or a suspension you can use as a loophole player anyway. I think you're better off with Currie or Grimley to make a bit of cash then downgrade once they've made $$$

99% of the time you never even take the VC score anyway (well I don't anyway)

Mick22

May 13, 2015
Just to throw another name in the mix... Has anyone considered Scott Lycett? With Sinclare going he should get games (although McGoven wants to ruck also) he is DPP and I recon could be a good POD. I'm tossing up between him and Lobbe in R2, also thinking about putting him as cover in the forward line. (Pending what happens in the pre season games of course)

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Just to throw another name in the mix... Has anyone considered Scott Lycett? With Sinclare going he should get games (although McGoven wants to ruck also) he is DPP and I recon could be a good POD. I'm tossing up between him and Lobbe in R2, also thinking about putting him as cover in the forward line. (Pending what happens in the pre season games of course)
yeah I looked at him but I think for just 60k more you can get Sinclair which seems fairly pointless to go for Lycett

Reactions: Mick22

HoneyBadger

Patron '16
Patron '19
Feb 16, 2016
Throwing a really insane idea out there. If Currie is named round 1 he could score decently, 60-70 scores most weeks and if Nicholls gets injured then 90-100+ most weeks

If you have Currie at R2, Grimley R3 then you could get an extra midfield premium at M5 instead of a ruck premo at R2, then you trade up Currie to Goldy when you have the cash, that's another way it's not wasting trades on midpricers

Big fan of Rookie R2. Zac Smith made my season in 2011.

But I dont think Currie is our man though, limited preseason and Nicholls is clearly #1.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Big fan of Rookie R2. Zac Smith made my season in 2011.

But I dont think Currie is our man though, limited preseason and Nicholls is clearly #1.
If you can have Grimley on the Forward bench, Sinclair at R2, Currie R3 then once Nicholls gets injured or Currie scores well then we could swap Sinclair up forward and Grimly to R3 Currie to R2

I probably won't do that, just a radical suggestion... Either way though I think Currie is a must have at R3, Nicholls will get injured at one point and when he does Currie will be a huuuuge cash cow.

Tono

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Veterans
May 2, 2015
If you can have Grimley on the Forward bench, Sinclair at R2, Currie R3 then once Nicholls gets injured or Currie scores well then we could swap Sinclair up forward and Grimly to R3 Currie to R2

I probably won't do that, just a radical suggestion... Either way though I think Currie is a must have at R3, Nicholls will get injured at one point and when he does Currie will be a huuuuge cash cow.

Thinking Grimley R3.. More likely to play and if an injury strikes Nicholls cash a fwd rook who's upped in price (switch Grimley fwd) and bring in Currie.

This way Currie is used on a needs basis and not parked in my squad waiting for an injury that may/may not come.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Thinking Grimley R3.. More likely to play and if an injury strikes Nicholls cash a fwd rook who's upped in price (switch Grimley fwd) and bring in Currie.

This way Currie is used on a needs basis and not parked in my squad waiting for an injury that may/may not come.

We can expect Currie will play a few games as 2nd ruck to Nicholls though, so by the time you want to downgrade to him you'll be trading in a player around 250k on your ruck bench which seems like a waste of a trade to me

[I did say if Currie named round 1 he's a lock at R3, not that he's a lock regardless]

Tono

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Veterans
May 2, 2015
We can expect Currie will play a few games as 2nd ruck to Nicholls though, so by the time you want to downgrade to him you'll be trading in a player around 250k on your ruck bench which seems like a waste of a trade to me

[I did say if Currie named round 1 he's a lock at R3, not that he's a lock regardless]
If Currie starts he'll be hard to resist.

Not 100% convinced Currie has Peter Wright covered - very high draft pick and recall reading an article that GC weren't worried about losing Smith as they rated Wright as an elite talent coming through. He's young so may not be ready yet...

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
If Currie starts he'll be hard to resist.

Not 100% convinced Currie has Peter Wright covered - very high draft pick and recall reading an article that GC weren't worried about losing Smith as they rated Wright as an elite talent coming through. He's young so may not be ready yet...

Emma Quayle rated Wright is the number 1 player in his draft year. I don't think Currie is anywhere near a lock for round 1

HoneyBadger

Patron '16
Patron '19
Feb 16, 2016
Emma Quayle rated Wright is the number 1 player in his draft year. I don't think Currie is anywhere near a lock for round 1

Hmm maybe I'm just desperate for Currie to play after selecting him at R3 year after year.... surely 2016 will prove me right?

Its almost now a tradition to pick him!

Reactions: tiltraise

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I've got got Goldy and Lobbe atm, is there any reason why Lobbe shouldn't return to 2014 scoring and average at least 100? I suppose it comes down to what constitutes a keeper in the rucks. If we want 110 minimum then probably not Lobbe, but if 100-105 is enough then maybe he's a possibility.
As for R3 I think Grimley is a lock, should play most weeks you would think. If Nicholls goes down Currie will come into the equation.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Sam Day and Rory Thompson have played some back-up ruck in the past. Both you'd expect to be best 22 - Day at CHF and Thompson at CHB. Wright is a great prospect too and will certainly get some run throughout the year.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
P.Wright will start in the F50 and pinch hit in the ruck wont he? Currie will need Nichols injured imo.