Round 7 Trades

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Am I the only one liking the look of Docherty? I feel like I'm missing it totally because everyone is going to Simpson instead.
I think I prefer Houli. Same bye, 10k cheaper. Houli has a higher scoring ceiling and a better track record (as long as you can handle the ups and downs).

Bozman

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 7, 2016
Looking for some feedback on my trades this week.

Weitering-->J.Smith
Oliver --> Rockliff

Oliver or Kennedy will go, depending on if either is not named this week. This would take me down to 24 trades and leave me with $34k (up from $13k). I had Rocky in before, but traded him out when injured. He looks fit and at $483k seems unreal value. My team post trade would be:

Def: Shaw, Houli, Adams, AMT, DBJ, Hartley (Laird, Dea)
Mid: Danger, Hannebery, Ablett, Ward, Rockliff, Libba, Mills, Smith (B.Kennedy, Davis, Gresham)
Ruck: Goldstein, NicNat (Loersch)
Fwd: Hall, Martin, Greene, Franklin, Wells, Kerridge (M.Brown, Menadue)

Bit weak in defence with Laird down, but I think Rocky is too good value to pass up. I can strengthen my backline when I cull the next fattened Rookie. Thoughts?

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
Oliver will be in for the Dees for sure, and you would assume he would score more than BenKen.
I personally would not go Rocky yet, with his record you would want some consistency for a few weeks before trading in. If you don't get him cheap, who cares, could save a trade 2 weeks later when he breaks more ribs.

qarocks

Development Coach
Feb 5, 2016
Crouch had 36 touches in the SANFL so surely he plays and we get repaid for holding him

Surely he would be in this week, and at worst will score around 75+ and save us from fielding a rookie.

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
No mate, i've liked him since day dot. He and Rampe are my first two picked next year. Should've been this year but was influenced by the masses.

Had my on him preseason too. Didn't take him but gut said he was a solid pick. The other guy I had was Parker. But like you, I followed masses and went rocky. So glad rocky went down. Time to correct my backline gut pick!

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
Oliver will be in for the Dees for sure, and you would assume he would score more than BenKen.
I personally would not go Rocky yet, with his record you would want some consistency for a few weeks before trading in. If you don't get him cheap, who cares, could save a trade 2 weeks later when he breaks more ribs.

This X 1,000,000. Don't pick your fallen premiums when they've bottomed out, pick them when their form has turned around.

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
Is everyone sold on Smith? To me, he looks to light. Scored well until now but I've been burnt by lightly built players before. Menadue. Garlett. Neade. Jetta. The list goes on.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Is everyone sold on Smith? To me, he looks to light. Scored well until now but I've been burnt by lightly built players before. Menadue. Garlett. Neade. Jetta. The list goes on.
He averaged 29 touches in the NEAFL last year. Yes, that barely qualifies, but he had 29 on the weekend and he's at basement price. That's good enough for me, he only needs to average 70 to be a worthwhile investment at 102k.

Those you've listed probably aren't going to get near 29 most weeks.

Reactions: M4TT B8S and Dino

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
He averaged 29 touches in the NEAFL last year. Yes, that barely qualifies, but he had 29 on the weekend and he's at basement price. That's good enough for me, he only needs to average 70 to be a worthwhile investment at 102k.

Those you've listed probably aren't going to get near 29 most weeks.

Job security? Anyone going to take his spot anytime soon?

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I'm steering clear of Rocky too. I watched the game on the weekend and he wasn't playing midfield - he was actually on a wing and spending a lot of time on the HBF. I can't post his heat map (maybe someone else can for me) - but he essentially got all of his touches along the wing and nothing in the centre square.

With Beams coming back he may continue to stay out of the middle. He might still score 120 on a wing and still a better than 50% chance to make his BE of 84. But, he'll have to score 120+ or even 140+ to go up significantly in price. And if he does then you have cost a small amount of cash but gained an enormous amount of confidence in picking him up next week. If he scores 80 then you're faced with him potentially dropping more dollars when his big score from last week cycles out, or at least stagnating around the same price for the next month.

Reactions: Steve

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Not sold on him, but hes the best option this week, i normally split rookies by how much of the ball they're getting.

Dash

Development Coach
Apr 6, 2016
Need some advice this week on trades. I have R Gray still sitting on the bench. 132k left, 26 Trades.
Def: Shaw, Rich, Seedsman, Weitering, D Byrne-Jones, Tippa, Brown, Dea
Mid: Ablett, Danger, Priddis, Barlow, Hannebury, Libba, Mills, Hewett, R Gray, Davis, Oliver
Ruc: Gawn, Natanui, Grimley
Fwd: D Martin, A Hall, Wells, Kerridge, McCarthy, Adams, Kennedy, Menadue

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I'm steering clear of Rocky too. I watched the game on the weekend and he wasn't playing midfield - he was actually on a wing and spending a lot of time on the HBF. I can't post his heat map (maybe someone else can for me) -
Rocky's heatmap from this round just played. Seems to confirm exactly what you said:

image.png

Reactions: Lowrider

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Rocky's heatmap from this round just played. Seems to confirm exactly what you said:

View attachment 433
The game obviously was played to that side of the ground, I wouldn't read much into it as he was still around the stoppages 7 clearances 15 contested possessions, he is the cheapest he will be this year, it's weather or not you see him as a top 10 midfielder from now till the end of the season.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

I'm looking (pending teams to night) to do a double upgrade & was feeling a little nervous not having Smith but the debut of Macpherson this & Mathieson just around the corner calmed me somewhat.

Just my 2 cents I don't think he's too light

Nato

May 22, 2015
Thoughts on downgrading Libba for smith? Ive also got Davis on the pine, but dont get much cash or for that one.
It looks like Libba has stagnated and has had a role change at the doggies.