brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
I guess the options are:

1. R3 Loophole Player with Nank Fwd
2. M11 Loophole Player with Witts at R3
3. No Loophole at all with all bench players scoring.

I'll be going R3 loophole or no loophole at all. Depends on the quality of the benched rookies, are they only filling a spot in their team until an injured best 22 player comes back. If you're confident all your rookies will make 100k+ I would go without the loop and chuck the C on Danger/Fyfe until a loophole opens up.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Was just thinking.... we probably be shouldn't be that scared of having a R9 bye player per line. We can use them to loophole the bench players that round, which raises the scoring floor.
But if you have a R9 bye prem, you miss out on a Prem score that other coaches will have

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
But if you have a R9 bye prem, you miss out on a Prem score that other coaches will have
It's one game in the grand scheme of things and you're guaranteed to make at least half the points back over the 3 bye rounds.

I don't see it being a major issue at all. Say people load up on R9 premiums after their bye... even if you manage to get 22 playing there's a very good chance the R9 premium you started with will be in your best 18. You'll probably make up 20 PPG per round. That's about what you'll lose in R9 when loopholing rookies (worst case scenario).

Say we bring in a R9 premium in both R10 and R11.. you're still going to have at least 4 rookies/non-playing in your 22 over the bye rounds. Even if you have 18 premos over the byes per round you're still probably going to make that 20 points up per round with your 19th premo who you started.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
It's one game in the grand scheme of things and you're guaranteed to make at least half the points back over the 3 bye rounds.

I don't see it being a major issue at all. Say people load up on R9 premiums after their bye... even if you manage to get 22 playing there's a very good chance the R9 premium you started with will be in your best 18. You'll probably make up 20 PPG per round. That's about what you'll lose in R9 when loopholing rookies (worst case scenario).

Say we bring in a R9 premium in both R10 and R11.. you're still going to have at least 4 rookies/non-playing in your 22 over the bye rounds. Even if you have 18 premos over the byes per round you're still probably going to make that 20 points up per round with your 19th premo who you started.
But if you have 1 prem in each line missing R9 and a rookie to replace them, then if the rookie makes half of what the prem would make then you lose 200 points. If you bring them in after R9 then they play right through the other bye rounds

Elliot H-R

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Jun 9, 2016
So what are your thoughts on Roughhead and O'meara.

Team structure wise,

Roughhead+O'meara

vs

Hannebury/JPK+rookie?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
But if you have 1 prem in each line missing R9 and a rookie to replace them, then if the rookie makes half of what the prem would make then you lose 200 points. If you bring them in after R9 then they play right through the other bye rounds

in saying that, i currently have Witts and Swallow as the only 2 starting players in my team. Im hoping they have generated enough cash by R9 to down/upgrade

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015

Team structure wise,

Roughhead+O'meara

vs

Hannebury/JPK+rookie?
Depends on the rookie fwd. Eddy scored well but kicked 5.4. How many times will he get the opportunity to have 9 sot on goal in a game

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
And anyone who starts with a R9 bye player also has the same liberty to trade in R9 players after their bye.

You have to look over the R11/12/13 byes... nobody is going to have a full team (or a fully premium 18) so you can guarantee you will make most of the points back over those rounds if you start a R9 player. No matter which way you look at it... anyone who starts a R9 player theoretically has an extra premo over the R11/12/13 byes.

With that being said... no way I'm risking it with 3 R9 bye starters. Was more making the point that you can get away with 1 in whichever line you prefer.

Reactions: tabs and cactus

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
And anyone who starts with a R9 bye player also has the same liberty to trade in R9 players after their bye.

You have to look over the R11/12/13 byes... nobody is going to have a full team (or a fully premium 18) so you can guarantee you will make most of the points back over those rounds if you start a R9 player. No matter which way you look at it... anyone who starts a R9 player theoretically has an extra premo over the R11/12/13 byes.

With that being said... no way I'm risking it with 3 R9 bye starters. Was more making the point that you can get away with 1 in whichever line you prefer.
I understand that but your first post said "Was just thinking.... we probably be shouldn't be that scared of having a R9 bye player per line"

You also need the full 22 players R9 and only 18 in R11-13

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017

Team structure wise,

Roughhead+O'meara

vs

Hannebury/JPK+rookie?

It's so tricky this year because we don't know how many rookies we can trust and there seems to be a lot of good value mid price options. I've currently got O'Meara in my team and a bunch of other mid-pricers! It's madness! I could put JPK in there too but at the moment I've gone with less selected premium mids that I think will finish top 10.

It's all about value! And waiting to see the team sheets...(which is killing me) The Thursday night game and the fact that potential rookies play on Sunday complicates it further!

2017 is SC insanity!

Reactions: Benj

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
in saying that, i currently have Witts and Swallow as the only 2 starting players in my team. Im hoping they have generated enough cash by R9 to down/upgrade

If swallow is traveling well then I'll keep him post Rd 9 as most of the comp will have him anyway. It might leave you with more options for the proper bye rounds.

Witts just came into my team and I think I'll bring in Strnadica from then for loophole option. Prior to that I might just have to trust Danger/Fyfe to score 120+ each week.

Reactions: Benj

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
I'm contemplating no Gawn AND no Goldy (even if Preuss doesn't play). How well does Goldy go in a losing team because I think the roos will lose a bunch this year?

Thoughts?

Mike

Mar 5, 2017
I'm contemplating no Gawn AND no Goldy (even if Preuss doesn't play). How well does Goldy go in a losing team because I think the roos will lose a bunch this year?

Thoughts?

I also think North will lose a bunch but I don't see being in a losing team impacting on SC scores:
Losing games 2016:
Rnd 10 vs Syd - 112pts
Rnd 12 vs GEE - 83
Rnd 13 vs HAW - 100
Rnd 14 vs ADE - 99
Rnd 16 VS WCE - 110
Rnd 17 vs PA - 93
Rnd 20 vs WB - 127
Rnd 21 vs HAW - 92
Rnd 22 vs SYD - 82
Rnd 23 vs GWS - 99

Goldy and Gawn were my R1/R2 from round 1 last year and I watched both their prices rise and fall. Both will be able to be picked up cheaper at some stage.

My current team structure:
3 / 0 / 5
5 / 2 / 4
0 / 2 / 1
3 / 2 / 3

Reactions: AlLewis

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I also think North will lose a bunch but I don't see being in a losing team impacting on SC scores:
Losing games 2016:
Rnd 10 vs Syd - 112pts
Rnd 12 vs GEE - 83
Rnd 13 vs HAW - 100
Rnd 14 vs ADE - 99
Rnd 16 VS WCE - 110
Rnd 17 vs PA - 93
Rnd 20 vs WB - 127
Rnd 21 vs HAW - 92
Rnd 22 vs SYD - 82
Rnd 23 vs GWS - 99

Goldy and Gawn were my R1/R2 from round 1 last year and I watched both their prices rise and fall. Both will be able to be picked up cheaper at some stage.

My current team structure:
3 / 0 / 5
5 / 2 / 4
0 / 2 / 1
3 / 2 / 3
Those scores for Goldy in losses average out to 99.7...which is not good at all. I reckon he will struggle to be top 2 this year. However, pretty much all North's losses came late in the year when he was injury affected so it might be a bit incorrect to assume that win and loss record was the only factor in his score fluctuation. I'm still pretty content to let him score against me and upgrade to him if I like what I see. On the other hand, he might be a good point of difference because he doesn't face too many imposing rucks early on (I'm still not going there at 588k). If he doesn't tear West Coast's rucks to shreds in week 1 I think we'll know where he's headed for the year.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Switched from Shaw + Taranto to Macrae and Marchbank and used the extra dough to get Turner at F6.

3/1/4
5/2/4
0/1/2
3/2/3

very happy.

Reactions: cactus

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
Just a few thoughts as we are getting closer to lockout. I feel as though some of the back rookies (EVW and Hibberd mainly) will not be selected and the depth there will be tested. I am now looking to go for 3 premiums (including Tuohy) + one of Marchbank/Thurlow on the field + 2 rookies on the field.

Mids im debating between having Powell-Pepper on field or Swallow/O'Meara (still undecided) as my M8. Wanting to take a risk on a Cripps, Merrett, Titch type but see myself backing in Selwood and going with the value of Heppell.

Rucks look way better with Goldy/Sandy but geez the money that Witts free's up allows me to get another premo mid. So it is virtually Heppell/Witts or MidRookie(most likely lower avg than witts)/Goldy. Still stuck on this.

Fwd line is pretty set with the premo's/midpricer. The only thing im looking at is the f6/f7 positions and wondering whether taranto is worth the dosh. Im looking at Oliver Florent who i think will get a game Rd. 1, but see myself continually downgrading him to the likes of butler/miller for the extra 40k.

What are everyone's structure thoughts a couple days out?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Just a few thoughts as we are getting closer to lockout. I feel as though some of the back rookies (EVW and Hibberd mainly) will not be selected and the depth there will be tested. I am now looking to go for 3 premiums (including Tuohy) + one of Marchbank/Thurlow on the field + 2 rookies on the field.

Mids im debating between having Powell-Pepper on field or Swallow/O'Meara (still undecided) as my M8. Wanting to take a risk on a Cripps, Merrett, Titch type but see myself backing in Selwood and going with the value of Heppell.

Rucks look way better with Goldy/Sandy but geez the money that Witts free's up allows me to get another premo mid. So it is virtually Heppell/Witts or MidRookie(most likely lower avg than witts)/Goldy. Still stuck on this.

Fwd line is pretty set with the premo's/midpricer. The only thing im looking at is the f6/f7 positions and wondering whether taranto is worth the dosh. Im looking at Oliver Florent who i think will get a game Rd. 1, but see myself continually downgrading him to the likes of butler/miller for the extra 40k.

What are everyone's structure thoughts a couple days out?
Sounds like you and I are setting up very similar structures.

Florent has been confirmed as a round 1 starter (as has Darcy Cameron) so you can pick him with no hesitation. Different player but could be this years Papley. Personally I've splashed out extra and gone with Taranto. Not expecting huge things but with Coniglio out there is a spot for someone of Tarantos build.

I think a great case can be made for an all out GnR structure. Whether the rookies will get the game time to generate enough coin is a different matter. Personally I think there is way too much value in midpricers and fallen premiums to pass it up this year. With the uncertainty about rookies, paying a bit extra for the 200k rookies for better JS and maybe an extra 5-10ppg is worth it every day of the week.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
2/2/4 (Tuohy and Marchbank midpricers)
5/2/4 (Beams and Swallow)
1/1/1
2/2/4 (Nank and Rough)

I may switch one or two rookies but this structure gives me flexibility, points on field, and cash generation with up to 15 keepers depending on how 3 of my midpricers go.

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
3/0/5
4/3/4
1/1/1
3/1/4

Still one or two possies are fluid.

If Zach Guthrie doesn't get an upgrade I may have to find a way to get Marchbank in. Probably a forward primo down to a midpricer or rookie.

Reactions: Steve