2017 Ruck Cover

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
With Burger going down, who will ruck for the dons??
Mckernan with Daniher/Stewart pinch hitting I'd say. Outside that we have nothing... There's a young boy Draper on the Rookie list but he is far too raw

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
hmmm $277k is an interesting price if Burger is out for a month

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
I think I'm going Witts or Sandi as my R2. Slightly leaning towards Witts, reckon hes slotted as the #1 Ruck now and allows me to use that extra cash in other areas. Should generate cash at a good rate also.

Gold Coast will be one of the big improvers this season. If Gaz stays fit. Witts fires in the ruck. Mature recruits like Hanley, Lyons and Barlow are more than handy additions. Swallow back also. Might mean Witts could score well tapping to the blokes I've mentioned.

Like somone above I had Hickey in my side around a month ago but not sure what the Saints will do with him and Longer. Not worth the risk IMO.

For me it's Gawn then Witts or Sandi with Nankervis in my fwds ahead of Ryder now.

Reactions: Prospector

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I started the pre-season with Gawn/Hickey, then Gawn/Goldy, very briefing Hickey/Sandi, then Gawn/Sandi & spent the last week with Nankervis/Sandi, I've now brought Gawn back in with Sandilands I do think that's the best combo, Spencer doesn't worry me too much & I'm happy to pay a little extra to have Gawn as a captaincy option.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I started the pre-season with Gawn/Hickey, then Gawn/Goldy, very briefing Hickey/Sandi, then Gawn/Sandi & spent the last week with Nankervis/Sandi, I've now brought Gawn back in with Sandilands I do think that's the best combo, Spencer doesn't worry me too much & I'm happy to pay a little extra to have Gawn as a captaincy option.
This is where I've landed too, with Nank covering at F3. Hopefully Cameron gets a gig first, could be very handy as an F8.

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London

So I'm similar.

The nominations for Best Ruck Options 2017 are:

Gawn and Goldy
Gawn and Sandi
Grundy and Sandi
Goldy and Sandi
Hickey and Sandi

And the winner is....
(drum roll)

NANKILANDS!!!

.....oh, wait no sorry....wrong envelope.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Gawn, Goldy (12% ownership now) and Nankervis in the forwardline just as a midprice pick to hopefully score well enough for F6 this year, if not an F7 solid fwd+ruc cover isn't the end of the world

Instead of going Macrae[or similar]+Sandilands+Nankervis like a lot are, I'm doing Goldy+Steele+Nankervis... Was keen on Jacobs, still think he's a solid pick but going Goldy+Gawn for my 2 ruck spots

Reactions: cactus

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
If nank can average 90-100, could be a alright pick for 366k. (up forward)
That would be an incredible result, and one that might happen. But, it requires him to average a score that he's never achieved even once (admittedly only played 11 games of AFL)

Reactions: cactus

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
That would be an incredible result, and one that might happen. But, it requires him to average a score that he's never achieved even once (admittedly only played 11 games of AFL)

Only 11 games and never as a solo ruck. For me, my team selections are all based on Role before anything else. Any Ruckman that gets picked as a solo ruck is relevant imo.

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Only 11 games and never as a solo ruck. For me, my team selections are all based on Role before anything else. Any Ruckman that gets picked as a solo ruck is relevant imo.
Sometimes they turn our irrelevant (Tom Bellchambers springs to mind) but yes I agree that Nankervis has potential to grow in his role as solo ruck, and the fact that he has R/F flexibility is a juicy bonus for many people. I'm 50:50 on him myself.

Reactions: Prospector

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Options for ruck cover:
1/ Ryder in the forward line - now he has actually played a good game with not Lobbe
2/ Nank in the forward line - looking good, has only played a handful of game at the top level and it is a long season. Similar age to Grundy.
3/ Witts at R3 - means I'd have to make some little compromises elsewhere to afford him. Doc to Shaw. Lynch to Buddy. Pendles to Hanners. Something like that. Witt will probably make some coin.
4/ Cameron at R3 or F7 - nice option if the guy actually plays regularly.
5/ Ruck cover? Ruck cover is for sissies.