2017 Rookies

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
McCarthy has been named in the squad for this Sunday so he might be ok for rd 1. Even if Parfitt does play rd 1 I think his JS is iffy but as a Cats supporter I can't help but be excited by him. He's impressed me that's for sure. :)

Oh wow ok thought McCarthy was out for a while, changes things a little.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Not a good weekend for the rookies so far. Hibbo sat out the first half which is a worry, then did ok in the 2nd but only scored 27. EVW played the whole game but only got 28 :confused:. Brodie and Bowes failed to excite. Butler and Stengle not doing a lot today either.

Taranto is about the only one so far who's impressed. If he was in any other team he'd be a lock.

Hope the games to come give us a bit more confidence....

Reactions: cactus and Dino

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Not a good weekend for the rookies so far. Hibbo sat out the first half which is a worry, then did ok in the 2nd but only scored 27. EVW played the whole game but only got 28 :confused:. Brodie and Bowes failed to excite. Butler and Stengle not doing a lot today either.

Taranto is about the only one so far who's impressed. If he was in any other team he'd be a lock.

Hope the games to come give us a bit more confidence....
EVW and Hibberd are a worry especially only knowing the extended bench by lockout. If you pick both in your backline, and they miss you could be in trouble. Maybe the right spot for Hibberd is the midfield bench so as to spread out the risk. We really need Newman to stand up tomorrow and force his way into the round 1 team.

As for the forward line, Butler is probably not going to make my team and there are a lot of players I don't trust on the field (Eddy, Pickett, Miles, even Black). Taranto (also probably named on an extended bench fwiw) and McCarthy might be the way to go if you aren't going deep with midpricers in the forward line. It also really sucks that Riley Knight wasn't named. This kind of reminds me of how I had Lyons picked last year and he missed out on round 1 selection so I had to drop him. Then he comes back into the team in round 3 and averages 90 for the rest of the season.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Wigg not selected adds to the annoyance
Wigg not getting selected almost guarantees Pickett sits at M11 for me. It's getting to the point I might have Hibberd M9, Miles M10, and Pickett M11.

Reactions: cactus

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Doesn't really install a lot of confidence :(
Nope, but the cash generation has to come from somewhere. I'm willing to put SPP and Barrett on the field as of right now, but if anybody goes down in my midfield I'll be hurting for points. Maybe Atley (Port) can get selected but I'm not too confident.

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Aaron Black played VFL yesterday that points to him being a little unlikely to play R1.

Reactions: Prospector

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I think I also saw that Newman played NEAFL this weekend? I would say that almost rules him out for round 1.

There might only be 4 or 5 rookies across all lines that have legitimate JS. Its concerning but it also means this year is a totally different prospect with mid pricers and cash generation. Makes it a bit more challenging and interesting.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
I think I also saw that Newman played NEAFL this weekend? I would say that almost rules him out for round 1.

There might only be 4 or 5 rookies across all lines that have legitimate JS. Its concerning but it also means this year is a totally different prospect with mid pricers and cash generation. Makes it a bit more challenging and interesting.
I think more higher priced rookies are going to have to be looked at to get us through. I'm starting to see the likes of Taranto, Mcarthy, Marchbank, Hoskin Elliott all seem to be popping up in more and more teams

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
James Stewart becomes an interesting one, looked half decent today, if anything he was more dangerous than Daniher. His JS is now good for the first month with Leuenberger pinging his hammy as he will more than likely be required to pinch hit in the Ruck. With the lack of fwd rookies he may have to be considered

Reactions: Steve

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Is Tarranto worth the cash now with the extra JS of Coniglio's injury?

The Yank

Development Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Mar 12, 2016
Is Tarranto worth the cash now with the extra JS of Coniglio's injury?
I think he was prior to the injury. I don't think it changes the way they see him. It appeared gws were happy to have him run through mids, even in Jlt3. With the lack of quality rookies, I think he was/is a lock before the injury.

Reactions: Prospector

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
EVW and Hibberd are a worry especially only knowing the extended bench by lockout. If you pick both in your backline, and they miss you could be in trouble. Maybe the right spot for Hibberd is the midfield bench so as to spread out the risk. We really need Newman to stand up tomorrow and force his way into the round 1 team.

As for the forward line, Butler is probably not going to make my team and there are a lot of players I don't trust on the field (Eddy, Pickett, Miles, even Black). Taranto (also probably named on an extended bench fwiw) and McCarthy might be the way to go if you aren't going deep with midpricers in the forward line. It also really sucks that Riley Knight wasn't named. This kind of reminds me of how I had Lyons picked last year and he missed out on round 1 selection so I had to drop him. Then he comes back into the team in round 3 and averages 90 for the rest of the season.

Isn't it unlimtied trades in R1? you'd still need an option to trade too that hasn't played but can cover yourself a bit

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I haven't touched my team since pre-JLT. Almost none of the rookies picked at that time are worthy options now.

It's slim pickings after a fresh start. I have Taranto at M8 and no forward rookies on field with Nank at F6. Defence I have Marchbank at D3 and Hampton D4.

It looks like cash generation is going to be tough this year. I wonder whether it might be the year where complete teams have low-level premiums? i.e. some of these mid-price options might score well enough to be keepers because we haven't generated enough cash to get a full side of top 10 in each line. I'm struggling to even find rookie options that will come up for us through the season.

Going to be interesting to see what strategy works. If ever guns n rookies doesn't work, this may just be the year.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
Isn't it unlimtied trades in R1? you'd still need an option to trade too that hasn't played but can cover yourself a bit
Correct me if I'm wrong, because this is important, but once Round 1 lockout hits on the 23rd don't we only have 2 trades that can be used during the round (with the team we had selected going into the Thursday night game locked in)?

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
afl.com has both EVW and Hibberd missing out on round 1 selection...that would be such a punch in the guts. Might be forced into something like Marchbank and an extra premium back there.

Reactions: smirski