2017 Rate My Team

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
upload_2017-2-1_14-48-50.png

Fairly cookie cutter for a start see how everyone is looking in pre season comp and look for some point of difference. any suggestions appreciated

Reactions: tiltraise

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
I Don't like expensive rookies. Undoubtedley they're better players (Generally speaking) but they're no better at generating cash than the ones that start at $130k. So unless you think one's a keeper, You could pocket the extra $200k you've spent on Mcgrath, McCluggage & Ainsworth or take another premo.

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
I Don't like expensive rookies. Undoubtedley they're better players (Generally speaking) but they're no better at generating cash than the ones that start at $130k. So unless you think one's a keeper, You could pocket the extra $200k you've spent on Mcgrath, McCluggage & Ainsworth or take another premo.
cheers for the input
was thinking that my self just a matter of waiting and seeing if there are some more cheaper rookies named round 1

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015

Its quite possible that the guys you mention have better JS than the 130K types. If that is the case and he seems to be relying on those guys as making up his 22 each week then whilst they may not end up generating more cash they may score more points than a combination of 1 premo and 2 guys who dont play that often.

Reactions: Tevez17 and cactus

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Good looking team @Brad.

I recommend considering some of the value picks in the midfield - Beams, Murphy and Swallow. Beams and Murphy in particular are bargains at their price. I expect a lot of teams will start with at least one of these guys and if they score well you could end up a bit behind the pack.

I think it's pointless debating the value of expensive rookies until we get to see them play and who gets named for rd 1. I think it's worthwhile having a couple of the expensive rookies in your draft side to be safe. You don't want to have to restructure your team because your rookies don't get named rd1 and you don't have enough cash for that expensive guy who gets a game.

Last edited:

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
I think it's pointless debating the value of expensive rookies until we get to see them play and who gets named for rd 1. I think it's worthwhile having a couple of the expensive rookies in your draft side to be safe. You don't want to have to restructure your team because your rookies don't get named rd1 and you don't have enough cash for that expensive guy who gets a game.
Ever on the ball, TC!

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Some big changes for me today with Berry and Sandilands going down & dumping Heppell after being pretty bullish on him for the last month or so. Strength of rookies will ultimately decide how premium heavy I am on each line but this feels like a good base to work from.

2nd draft.jpg

Reactions: Brad and tiltraise

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015
Some big changes for me today with Berry and Sandilands going down & dumping Heppell after being pretty bullish on him for the last month or so. Strength of rookies will ultimately decide how premium heavy I am on each line but this feels like a good base to work from.

View attachment 593

I like that team. Deledio will be a gun for GWS but hard to see him being as SC relevant as he once was. The plethora of young mids will make him a more permanent fwd and a not very SC friendly role.

It offends my SC sensibilities to see $1.3m spent on two players at their top price and to have absolutely no cover for them.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
Screenshot_2017-02-02-20-29-42-74.png Screenshot_2017-02-02-20-30-07-44.png

This is what I'm running with so far. No doubt it will change several times before Rd1. I like the look of a few prospective picks i.e. Z Williams, Cogs, Grundy... Quietly confident they take another big step up again after big years last year, I want Treloar too but that's way too much Collingwood which goes against every single grain in my body.

Gone very GnR apart from Beams, Roughy and McCarthy... None of them are overly risky though

Reactions: tiltraise

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I like that team. Deledio will be a gun for GWS but hard to see him being as SC relevant as he once was. The plethora of young mids will make him a more permanent fwd and a not very SC friendly role.

It offends my SC sensibilities to see $1.3m spent on two players at their top price and to have absolutely no cover for them.

Lids is a tricky one, assuming he gets through PS without a knock he'll e as fit as he has been in 3 years even with less ball his quality will shine through, he's not set in stone.

It's pretty hard to have cover for set and forget rucks though I'm open to ideas, Goldy is still ? for me.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
@Haychh like it mate very different to mine, Don't see Keefe being a good rookie personally and think Thomas is still rookie listed though good place holder at that price, you really can spread the money around if you don't have Danger can't you!
I know you've said you've gone guns and rookies but personally I think there's quite a bit of midprice madness there

Reactions: cactus

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
@Haychh like it mate very different to mine, Don't see Keefe being a good rookie personally and think Thomas is still rookie listed though good place holder at that price, you really can spread the money around if you don't have Danger can't you!
I know you've said you've gone guns and rookies but personally I think there's quite a bit of midprice madness there

Yeah you are right, I left off Ryder and Swallow when I rattled off the names too. I guess I just always had in my head I'm definitely going GnR this year after getting sucked in in the past. Fully aware I may or may not be getting sucked in again.

I just really don't see much risk involved in those players though.
Apart from McCarthy they're all guys I could see average at least around that 95-100 mark if not enough to use as a stepping stone to a premium by the byes.

Obviously will be monitored over the preseason and see how we're looking on the other side. Thanks for the feedback

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Yeah you are right, I left off Ryder and Swallow when I rattled off the names too. I guess I just always had in my head I'm definitely going GnR this year after getting sucked in in the past. Fully aware I may or may not be getting sucked in again.

I just really don't see much risk involved in those players though.
Apart from McCarthy they're all guys I could see average at least around that 95-100 mark if not enough to use as a stepping stone to a premium by the byes.

Obviously will be monitored over the preseason and see how we're looking on the other side. Thanks for the feedback

Yeah there does seems to be a bit more proven value (with injury worries) than there has been in past seasons, I got burned by Sam Gray, Jesse Lonergan, Brad Crouch & lesser extent Aaron Hall but big difference between them
and the likes of Beams, Roughy, Bennell, Ryder ect...

I'm trying to just go Keepers and Genuine rookies this season... we'll see how long that lasts o_O

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Swallow and Sandi were the only two midpricers I was set on but with Sandi's calf I'll probably look to take someone else in the midpricer category. Maybe Beams if he looks really fit and ready to go. I took Andrew Swallow as a bit of value a couple of years ago and ended up stuck with him underperforming for the whole year. Then Couch and Lonergan last year. Keen to avoid a repeat.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Here's a first go - hammer it! (all rookies are placeholders).

View attachment 600
A whole bunch of interesting choices here. I like the Nick Riewoldt pick in the forward line. I might have to drop him to free up cash to upgrade Sandi but I'm trying to find a way around it.

I currently have space for one of Shaw and Vince in the backline and I can't quite make up my mind which one to take or whether to look elsewhere. Which one was your first picked of those two?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Hickey is a interesting pick, proved last season has a big ceiling but also knocked out some really poor scores against only fair opposition as well, still young especially for a ruck will have to wait for the prospectus to come out for further research, would like a Goldy alternative & not sold on Grundy.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
I currently have space for one of Shaw and Vince in the backline and I can't quite make up my mind which one to take or whether to look elsewhere. Which one was your first picked of those two?
Shaw for sure. but Bernie is demanding, imo!

Reactions: TomCat and cactus