Round 3 Trades

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Another thought on Clayton Oliver:

I don't think we've seen a player with his SC potential that has such a green light.

Titch scored 104 in his '3rd' season (1st full)... but played the tagger every second week. Bont was about the same... but plays a lot more forward because he's so good.

Clayton's one dimensionality may help him as an SC player. He isn't versatile enough to rest forward or back. He's going to be playing pure midfield minutes and not tagging.

Maybe Cripps is a counter example? He only played 3 games in his first year so I don't know if you view the next season as his 2nd season. His second full season of footy (3rd overall) had him average 108.

Food for thought...

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I'm thinking my best course of action is to restructure a little. JOM and Rough are on the chopping block, not because I want them to be but because it gives me a better structure.

JOM goes out, Pickett goes to the forward bench so I can play SPP on field in the mids and move Florent to the forward bench. WHE comes in.

Rough out gives me a bank of $505k to spend up forward. Then I have a few options. Higgins looks good and he's a key in the midfield at North. Yeo has clunked 23 marks over the first 2 weeks, but we know how diabolically bad he can be. Touk looks good when he gets the midfield role, it's more a question of if. Gunston still scoring nice and consistently. Thinking Higgins is the best option.... if he goes down then it's a trade and it'll be easy to find someone the same price.... If he goes 110 for the year I've got the jump on everyone else.

Reactions: Steve

CJ_

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jul 8, 2015
I'm thinking my best course of action is to restructure a little. JOM and Rough are on the chopping block, not because I want them to be but because it gives me a better structure.

JOM goes out, Pickett goes to the forward bench so I can play SPP on field in the mids and move Florent to the forward bench. WHE comes in.

Rough out gives me a bank of $505k to spend up forward. Then I have a few options. Higgins looks good and he's a key in the midfield at North. Yeo has clunked 23 marks over the first 2 weeks, but we know how diabolically bad he can be. Touk looks good when he gets the midfield role, it's more a question of if. Gunston still scoring nice and consistently. Thinking Higgins is the best option.... if he goes down then it's a trade and it'll be easy to find someone the same price.... If he goes 110 for the year I've got the jump on everyone else.
Unless you're worried that JOM contacted leather poisoning from the weekend and will miss a week then just go Roughy down to WHE. I know that Higgens is tempting but the reason you didn't select him to start the year is (assumedly) that he'd fall over which trading him in now laughs in the face of. IMO Higgens was a player to start with but not the type to trade in as you've already missed two big scores while still having the same amount of risk. There's always a tension when you have large amounts of cash in the reserve but trading out a cheaper, fit, coming-into-form JOM for another player with the same or higher amount of injury risk seems reckless.

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Unless you're worried that JOM contacted leather poisoning from the weekend and will miss a week then just go Roughy down to WHE. I know that Higgens is tempting but the reason you didn't select him to start the year is (assumedly) that he'd fall over which trading him in now laughs in the face of. IMO Higgens was a player to start with but not the type to trade in as you've already missed two big scores while still having the same amount of risk. There's always a tension when you have large amounts of cash in the reserve but trading out a cheaper, fit, coming-into-form JOM for another player with the same or higher amount of injury risk seems reckless.

Actually - as he is injury prone his risk has theoretically increased since the start of the year. If you think he'll miss games this year (say 4 with a hammy) then you're only two games closer to that now and you have missed out on two good scores in the process.. Not worth it. He's a good player, could average 95-100 as a pure mid but not worth the trade

Reactions: Benj

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Seriously thinking about Treloar to Murphy. I think Murphy will be a top 10 mid as will Treloar (had him in the pre-season until he lazed through the JLT), and with ordinary rookies this year the early $170k would give me a head start on upgrading. Cash grab for similar output. Thoughts?
I'm with Doddy on this one mate. You said yourself that Treloar will be top 10 so presumably you'd need to trade him back in later on?

But I think the bigger issue here is this perceived lack of rookies. I think this is fake news! (sorry) We've got plenty of rookie options to fix up the selections this week. Between Sydney and Hawthorn there will also be options next week if you want to wait. Freo have announced 6 team changes today including 2 first gamers who could be genuine options, Melbourne and North are debuting players and Brisbane have a couple of stars rookies who will be in the team any week now. I'm sure there are others I've missed and this is just what we know after two weeks of footy. Doesn't look too bad to me. Nothing wrong with guns and rooks from here on in I reckon.

Reactions: AlLewis

Benj

Development Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 5, 2016
London
Thanks for the input fellas, one more question, is it a good idea to trade Taranto to WHE?
I kind of disagree with some of the other guys on this one Simon. I agree that Taranto is not really underperforming but I do have question marks over his JS even with Coniglio out of the team. I think the Giants will give him one or two weeks in the 2s to freshen up possibly in the next few weeks which would completely stagnate his price increase. He's just a kid remember and he's been playing a fair bit of tough contested footy around the ball. GWS have Kennedy and Setterfield absolutely killing in in the 2s and I think they'll want to give them AFL level opportunities so they continue to develop which it's hard to do in the NEAFL. Yes, its an aggressive trade, but if your happy with the rest of your team, there ain't nothing wrong with that this week. I'll be doing this same thing.

Reactions: AlLewis

jathkel

Patron '19
Patron '20
May 9, 2015
I'm with Doddy on this one mate. You said yourself that Treloar will be top 10 so presumably you'd need to trade him back in later on?

But I think the bigger issue here is this perceived lack of rookies. I think this is fake news! (sorry) We've got plenty of rookie options to fix up the selections this week. Between Sydney and Hawthorn there will also be options next week if you want to wait. Freo have announced 6 team changes today including 2 first gamers who could be genuine options, Melbourne and North are debuting players and Brisbane have a couple of stars rookies who will be in the team any week now. I'm sure there are others I've missed and this is just what we know after two weeks of footy. Doesn't look too bad to me. Nothing wrong with guns and rooks from here on in I reckon.

Thanks. I take your point on more rookies coming through. But on Treloar>Murphy, if I think they are both top 10s, then it would be a like for like trade, which makes $170K. Which is roughly what you get for many rookie downgrades. The difference is that its premium to premium, rather than rookie to rookie...

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Thanks. I take your point on more rookies coming through. But on Treloar>Murphy, if I think they are both top 10s, then it would be a like for like trade, which makes $170K. Which is roughly what you get for many rookie downgrades. The difference is that its premium to premium, rather than rookie to rookie...
You wasting trades if you bring Treloar back in, and FWIW a wasted trade dropping him.
Surely you have another way to get Smurf, Treloar is not playing that badly.

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015

Still fucking sideways bro

jathkel

Patron '19
Patron '20
May 9, 2015
You wasting trades if you bring Treloar back in, and FWIW a wasted trade dropping him.
Surely you have another way to get Smurf, Treloar is not playing that badly.

I don't see how it matters who comes back in?
If I have 7 mid spots filled, 1 to get, this just generates cash to bring that extra 1 in after a few rounds. Like any normal rookie downgrade.
Its not about Treloar playing badly, just someone else with the same potential but cheaper to the value of 1 trade.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I don't see how it matters who comes back in?
If I have 7 mid spots filled, 1 to get, this just generates cash to bring that extra 1 in after a few rounds. Like any normal rookie downgrade.
Its not about Treloar playing badly, just someone else with the same potential but cheaper to the value of 1 trade.
not only a huge injury concern

Looking at Murphy's history looks like a trap to me, not only a huge injury concern but even if you think he'll go 110 for the season he's already 40+ on that.

Bozman

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 7, 2016
Guys, need a little help or encouragement.

Missed a few rookies, but not where I can easily bring them in. My forward rooks are ok, and think it's a bit of a wasted trade side swapping. Only one I'm considering is Taranto to WHE as not sure on Taranto's JS.

Need to move Hibberd and EVW out but I picked all the good DEF rookies, and went too thin on premo in defence.

Only other possibility it to change structure; Gawn down to Witts and insert DEF premo. Don't really want to as Gawn is scoring well and will just need to come back in later as I think he finishes top 2.

Thoughts?

DEF: Docherty, Adams, Marchbank, Hampton, Otten, Stewart (M.Hibberd, EVW)

MID: Danger, J.Selwood, Treloar, Fyfe, T.Mitchell, Beams, Swallow, Pepper-Powell (Petrovski-Seton, Barrett, Miles)

RUCK: Gawn, Sandi (Cameron)

FWD: Dahlhaus, Franklin, Macrae, Nankervis, Taranto, Eddy (Pickett, Parfaitt)
Cash: $103.6k

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Actually, the reason I didn't pick Higgins at the start of the year was I'd taken him out while tinkering with plans to put him back in. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to log in on the Friday and ended up with Dahlhaus locked into his position instead when I never wanted Dahlhaus. Higgins was there all preseason and only left in the last 24 hours while tinkering.

I'm actually not worried at all about injury. 2014 he played 20 games. 2015 he played 21 (rested along with the rest of the North team in round 23, then played the 3 finals so actually played 24). 2016 he copped a long term injury and missed 14 games, but played ever game either side. So over the last 3 years he's not having issues with niggling injuries, he's either playing or it's a major injury and it's clear he needs to be traded. He looks the fittest he's ever been and has a much more friendly SC role.

The other thing I'm considering is the increased points and improved structure having SPP on field instead of Florent. I think it's a bit of a waste having SPP on the bench as I have currently.

Still pondering the right way to go....

My other issue is missing Houston, who looks like being one of the best cheap cows. I think I might just have to wear that one.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
It's not worth trading Turner to Houston is it?

lenny

Development Coach
Jun 21, 2015
Thanks for the input fellas, one more question, is it a good idea to trade Taranto to WHE?

I don’t see any problem with this, mainly because Ive just done this myself. The way I see it is that WHE is a "must have" rookie, looks to be a good scorer and JS is rock solid. Taranto scored 44 and 75 in a game where they pumped GC by 100 points. As they are on field rookies I want someone that can score well each week. Taranto could easily be dropped in the next few weeks too.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015

Missed a few rookies, but not where I can easily bring them in. My forward rooks are ok, and think it's a bit of a wasted trade side swapping. Only one I'm considering is Taranto to WHE as not sure on Taranto's JS.

Need to move Hibberd and EVW out but I picked all the good DEF rookies, and went too thin on premo in defence.

Only other possibility it to change structure; Gawn down to Witts and insert DEF premo. Don't really want to as Gawn is scoring well and will just need to come back in later as I think he finishes top 2.

Thoughts?

MID: Danger, J.Selwood, Treloar, Fyfe, T.Mitchell, Beams, Swallow, Pepper-Powell (Petrovski-Seton, Barrett, Miles)

Do you have enough cash to go Pickett to Houston and either Hibberd/EVW to McGrath??

That would help you out in your backs and make you some cash as well

CJ_

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jul 8, 2015
Actually, the reason I didn't pick Higgins at the start of the year was I'd taken him out while tinkering with plans to put him back in. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to log in on the Friday and ended up with Dahlhaus locked into his position instead when I never wanted Dahlhaus. Higgins was there all preseason and only left in the last 24 hours while tinkering.

I'm actually not worried at all about injury. 2014 he played 20 games. 2015 he played 21 (rested along with the rest of the North team in round 23, then played the 3 finals so actually played 24). 2016 he copped a long term injury and missed 14 games, but played ever game either side. So over the last 3 years he's not having issues with niggling injuries, he's either playing or it's a major injury and it's clear he needs to be traded. He looks the fittest he's ever been and has a much more friendly SC role.

The other thing I'm considering is the increased points and improved structure having SPP on field instead of Florent. I think it's a bit of a waste having SPP on the bench as I have currently.

Still pondering the right way to go....

My other issue is missing Houston, who looks like being one of the best cheap cows. I think I might just have to wear that one.

Even if you think Higgens is a good pick (I started him and tend to agree with most of what you said) I think he is better targeted as an upgrade as if you look at the cost/benefit of essentially upgrading Swallow to Higgens this week it doesn't look great. You essentially net the difference in points they score which is probably maximum 20ppg and save maybe 100k on trading in Higgens before price rise versus losing a trade (your round 19 self will thank you), missing out on probably 250k of price rise from Swallow and you also get to keep the cash from going Roughy down. No brainer for me. I know it hurts to feel like you are missing a guy you were hot on all preseason but sideswapping now seems reckless.

Reactions: Benj and Prospector

captainchardonnay

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
May 22, 2015

Thoughts?

I wouldn't move on EVW yet. Emergency again and Hibberd may come back at some stage. I'd be grabbing WHE if I were you. Probably for Pickett.