Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
With news re: O'Meara and Prestia Lonetgan does become an interesting proposition, anyone know his non-sub average from last season?
Lonergan's career is a bit strange.
Showed all the promise in the world as a junior.
Playing as an inside mid he had a really good U18 for Tas with 137SC average and highest CP rate. Debuted in the Tas state league as a 15yo. At the 2012 combine he was 2nd in the standing vertical jump, 3rd in the running vertical jump and 2nd in the goal kicking. Not bad for an inside mid.

At the Suns he was injured a lot but even so played mostly off half-back. Only time he has been mainly a mid is from rnd.17 on last year.
So, to finally answer the question: he had a 77SC average when playing mainly mid with no sub.s.

He's a perfect break-out candidate IF he plays mainly mid. But will he?

[Yep, I still have all of my old Prospectus's? Prospecti?]

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015
My brief thoughts FWIW:

Boyd - will be managed. He was remarkably durable over 2006-2012 (missed only 2 games in 7 years), but has missed 16 games over last 3 years and will turn 34 before the finals. Last year? PASS

Bartel - less concerned about him vs. Boyd. He's "only" 32. Prior to his injury-stricken 2015 he had played 21 games (1 week off) in every year except 2012 (played 19). I can see totally see him missing 1 or 2 games if the Cats are finals bound but would be happy with 20 games from him. Handy little "discount" - averaged 95 without his INJ game and priced at 87, i think he will be a top 10 DEF (and is 19th highest-priced DEF).

McVeigh - was locked in prior to the injury news - "only" 30yo, good midfield minutes and until now very durable (only 8 games missed over last 10 seasons!). If he manages to play NAB2&3 I doubt I could leave him out..

Yeo - very disappointing NAB1 (though not as disappointing as Jetta!) - would hope to see him do better with Priddis, Gaff, Shuey back and Redden. With Mackenzie and Brown back you'd hope he can be a permanent MID, but need to see it - $443k isn't cheap of course..

Rosa & Suckling - will watch NAB closely. Both have averaged 90 (once each) previously, keen to see how SC friendly their new roles. Rosa 19d (9 contested) in NAB1

J.Lonergan & Aish - watchlist for sure, keen to see them playing SC-friendly roles throughout the NAB.. Lonergan great in NAB1

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Only person that i'm interested in from that list robpaw is Aish.

Boyd wont play 20+ games
McVeigh is a maybe for R1, wont play NAB 2 at this stage
YEo - Pass
Rosa - Want to see what pos he plays with GAj and the crew all playing
Suckling - Worries about whyere he will actually play at the dogs. Does he take a HB gig from Boyd/Murphy or does he go fwd? If a fwd then a pass
Lonegan - Like Gaff, want to see where he plays with GAJ and the crew playing

Reactions: The Kraken

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I may be a tad biased but I keep coming back to Bartel. So he might miss a couple of games. Who doesn't? 19th on the line of pricing for a potential top 6 def... I'd take him over Yeo, Smith, etc.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
My backline is more unsettled than my stomach after an indian lunch.

ATM Shaw, Harwood, Aish and Brown are in but the other go in and out all the time

Reactions: cactus

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
This might sound a bit counter-intuitive, but I don't think Laird's price is the issue. I think it's more a matter of whether he will finish in the top 6-10 defenders for the year. If he does, then 506k will be money well spent.

For me its less about where a particular player ranks in terms of his fellow line but rather the difference in point output vs price.

Laird is ranked 8th for current Backs based on last year with an ave of 93.81 whilst Docherty is ranked 16th with 87.68 a 6.13 pt difference.

Thus the question becomes more like if I can save 50K on player X for a 5ppg loss can I use that 50K to make more than a 5ppg gain in another slot?

Reactions: Prospector

Coop

Feb 5, 2016
Lonergan was in the midfield at the end of last year in a tagging role. I think that was Rocket's way of getting him in there. Strong body, highly skilled, contested player, tackles - all the makings of a good midfielder and good SC player too. When they played Port at the end of last year he tagged Boak and ended up with 23 touches to Boak's 19. Can see him having a breakout for sure, regardless of who's injured, and he's locked in my backline even before NAB1.
Good call, I'll be watching his role in NAB2 and 3 with interest.

Coop

Feb 5, 2016
Lonergan's career is a bit strange.
Showed all the promise in the world as a junior.
Playing as an inside mid he had a really good U18 for Tas with 137SC average and highest CP rate. Debuted in the Tas state league as a 15yo. At the 2012 combine he was 2nd in the standing vertical jump, 3rd in the running vertical jump and 2nd in the goal kicking. Not bad for an inside mid.

At the Suns he was injured a lot but even so played mostly off half-back. Only time he has been mainly a mid is from rnd.17 on last year.
So, to finally answer the question: he had a 77SC average when playing mainly mid with no sub.s.

He's a perfect break-out candidate IF he plays mainly mid. But will he?

[Yep, I still have all of my old Prospectus's? Prospecti?]
Great research!

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm at the Cats v Pies game tonight, watching Aish very carefully. He's wearing fluoro green boots... Not off to a good start!

Reactions: doddy2731

rickjames7

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Ballarat
I'm at the Cats v Pies game tonight, watching Aish very carefully. He's wearing fluoro green boots... Not off to a good start!
Watching on the TV i would say Aish has been one of the Pies best, working is way to most stoppages

Reactions: Prospector

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Sir Mr Enright with 11 kicks and 3 handballs at 100% DE. Will he make his way into our teams?
All this talk of Bartel, he seems to be the forgotten one. And yes I did note his stats a little better as a player of his SC stature deserves our respect.