Rucks 2016

mdola2

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '19
Feb 24, 2016
If you start without Goldstein, do you go with a Z Smith/Grundy at R2 and look to upgrade to Goldy later or do you start with a set and forget combo i.e Martin/Naitanui and hope Goldy doesn't hurt you too much over the course of the season?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
If you start without Goldstein, do you go with a Z Smith/Grundy at R2 and look to upgrade to Goldy later or do you start with a set and forget combo i.e Martin/Naitanui and hope Goldy doesn't hurt you too much over the course of the season?

I don't you can go into the season planing to get Goldy at a latter date.

Spifflicator

Mar 15, 2016
Yes they did and it's a very valid argument. I just disagree with it, at least once this year Goldy will chuck in a sub 90 game and that is your window to get him in. The problem is who to run with in the meantime, and I suspect that headache is what driving everyone to a set and forget strategy.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Yes they did and it's a very valid argument. I just disagree with it, at least once this year Goldy will chuck in a sub 90 game and that is your window to get him in. The problem is who to run with in the meantime, and I suspect that headache is what driving everyone to a set and forget strategy.

Even if he throws a sub 90 in, it wont be enough to just go get him.

writeoff

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Somewhere in time
The problem of not starting Goldy is that even if he has a poor game and drops $100k you still have to find $600k to bring him in.
A pair of rookies won't make you that much money so you will have to trade out at least one premium. That means you are effectively sideways trading.
The other problem is that you may not be able to trade for him when he is at his cheapest because you are forced into injury trades that week.
There have been many weeks in my SC 'career' when I have had to miss players because I was already committed/forced into two other trades on that particular week.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
The problem of not starting Goldy is that even if he has a poor game and drops $100k you still have to find $600k to bring him in.
A pair of rookies won't make you that much money so you will have to trade out at least one premium. That means you are effectively sideways trading.
The other problem is that you may not be able to trade for him when he is at his cheapest because you are forced into injury trades that week.
There have been many weeks in my SC 'career' when I have had to miss players because I was already committed/forced into two other trades on that particular week.

Spot on, you either start him or foget him.

Reactions: Prospector
May 7, 2015
I'm taking Martin and Naitanui. Have had goldy every year for past 3 years however too expensive this year. Furthermore I recall a stat that the only person to ever back up a 130 average in SuperCoach history is G.Ablett. History is not on Goldy's side this year.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
History says the only bloke in recent times to finish top 2 in the ruck averages 2 years in a row is Cox. Both Goldy and Martin would need to do that...

Goldy I think will. I don't think Martin can (in SC anyway).

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
so you will wai all season for him to throw a sub 90 game and then try and rearrange youor team just to get him in. Not worth it IMO

Reactions: Prospector

writeoff

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Somewhere in time
I don't expect Goldy to average 130 this year. I think he will drop to ~120, maybe even as low as 115.
However I do think he will be the highest scoring ruck as he will likely play all 22 games.
The only other ruck I have confidence in playing 22 games is Jacobs (but with Dangerfield missing and the Crows' difficult SoS I won't be selecting him).

StalkingHawk

Mar 17, 2016
Trying to work

Goldy R1
NicNat R2
Grimley R3
Tippett/Sinclair F3.

To justify Tippett/Sinclair, I think I need them to:
Finish top 6 Fwd, minus cost of a trade(s) in rucks,
and plus (their ruck score - minus fwd rookie score).

Apologies for the horrible maths!

If they can improve 10-15 ppg, I think they're solid picks. But can they?

Also, what do people think a trade is worth? (In cash and/or points)