Round 3 Discussion

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I missed the Pies v Swans game and I'd love a bit of feedback for future trades:
Hanners scored OK ... is he back?
Parker ... had an interrupted preseason so I was hoping for a slow start to the year for him and then looking at him as an upgrade target, so how did he look?
Newman, looks like a must have based on this weeks score, right?
Hayward, Fox ... looks like they both went OK.
Did anything else catch the eye?

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I missed the Pies v Swans game and I'd love a bit of feedback for future trades:
Hanners scored OK ... is he back?
Parker ... had an interrupted preseason so I was hoping for a slow start to the year for him and then looking at him as an upgrade target, so how did he look?
Newman, looks like a must have based on this weeks score, right?
Hayward, Fox ... looks like they both went OK.
Did anything else catch the eye?
Hanners was better, still looks a little iffy at times with what ever is bothering him.
Parker i don't think will be in the top 10 this year, he just doesn't seem himself.
Newman will be locked into 98% of teams next week, hell of a player.

Reactions: Tandy

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Hanners was better, still looks a little iffy at times with what ever is bothering him.
Parker i don't think will be in the top 10 this year, he just doesn't seem himself.
Newman will be locked into 98% of teams next week, hell of a player.

I thought Hanners looked really good actually! He wasn't putting in those gut busting runs though so I think that Doddy is right, something is still bothering him.
Parker - I wouldn't go near this year. Well, there's always the chance he gets really cheap however I can't see him being a top 15 mid this year.
Newman - locked. First trade, Hibberd to Newman. He looks classy, no idea why the swans didn't start with this guy to start the season. I really like his role too, wing, pushing back to half back to get some ball. He uses it well (went at 73% de) and one 10 contested possessions which CD love this year.
The other thing that stood out to me was Treloar. He one a clearance and half back, took two bounces, handballed, handball receive and then kicked a 55 metre goal... All for a whopping 15 points. I think this is a clear indication that the 'metres gained' for points this year has decreased (15-20%) and CD are weighting more into players who win a contested ball/mark and use the first possession well by either hand or foot.
My take out is the type of game that Adam Treloar plays isn't suited for SC this year.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
I watched the whole game last night. First off, I can't believe the so-called "experts" through the week doing their previews saying this would be an easy win for the Swans. I thought they were sitting ducks to lose this one, it's clear the Swans are a long way off their best over the first 3 weeks.

Hanners - He looked better, but still not the Hanners of old. He seagulled a lot and was basically there to a) receive the handball from the in & under guys and then handball to an outside runner, or b) tackle the Pie player running from the contest. He had 1 touch halfway through the first quarter. Finished the half with 7 tackles and 19 touches and had 70-80 SC. 2nd half was a lot quieter and was doing much the same role, another 12 touches and only a couple of tackles. The commentators were praising his tackles, yet I think a lot of those were incidental and he had the most of the Swans, but that was also less than Sidebottom, Pendles, Treloar and Adams. The Pies payed him very little attention. In a nuthsell, if you traded him out this week I don't think you made a bad decision. If you held him I don't think it was bad either, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pumped out another 70 or 80 next week.

Parker - Hardly saw him to be honest. He was deep in the packs, most of time I only knew he was there because the commentators called him name. Saved his scored because all his touches were contested. Wouldn't be rushing to get him in.

Smith to Newman looks like an easy decision next week as hoped. Hayward also looks good, but scoring capacity doesn't look high.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Adam Treloar plays isn't suited for SC this year.

Totally agree, I watched him pretty close last night (also because it was the first match I had a chance to).
A lot of his disposals especially kicks seemed to either go to space or opposition.
Glad I grabbed him in RDT, but also glad I decided to wait in SC.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Hayward looks a player but as @Lowrider says, scoring ceiling may be low. He kicked 3 goals last night from 8 possies.
Swans next 2 are tough match-ups, too: WC in Perth and GWS. After that it gets easier: Carlton, Brisbane, Nth, StKilda.
So he'll probably be a slow-burn.

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Managed to snag Newman last night before the game for Hibberd as I have Smith in the backs so no cover. Worked a treat with Smith as a loophole and Stewart on the pine now.

Reactions: Captain Danger

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
Re: Nth vs GWS game. I hope Preuss no. 1 ruck role is short lived. Goldstein tanked hard with 51, actually tempted to turn him into Nankervis. 88% TOG and only 10 hitouts.... sigh my season is going down the drain

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Re: Nth vs GWS game. I hope Preuss no. 1 ruck role is short lived. Goldstein tanked hard with 51, actually tempted to turn him into Nankervis. 88% TOG and only 10 hitouts.... sigh my season is going down the drain
It is going to be very tough to know what to do with Goldy now there has been a price change ... but it seems something is seriously wrong so I think owners are really going to assess options. One more price change and it will probably be too late to get out.

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
It is going to be very tough to know what to do with Goldy now there has been a price change ... but it seems something is seriously wrong so I think owners are really going to assess options. One more price change and it will probably be too late to get out.
Yea not sure if I can wait another round. Will look at options, as Newman is a must in. Im tempted to back Goldstein as I have already punted Hannebery. Might have to use Witts main lol

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I'm really feeling for coachs who went Hanners to Higgins this week. God knows I've made a few moves like that in my time and it makes you sick to the guts.

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
I got Heppell, so should be okay. Wanted to bring in WHE badly and needed some cash.

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Yeah I went Caddy to Nankervis (phew!) and Simpkin to WHE ... but the way Hanners and Higgins had been playing it certainly didn't look a ridiculous move. Nekminit Hanners 100+ and Higgins <60. SuperCoach is a very cruel game.

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
You're telling me, a mate of mine got Bont and Heppell and Nank and Gawn and Tay Tay Adams, and I stuck with Roughead, Goldy

Tandy

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 28, 2016
Higgins is real rough pick tho, cos you know his injury history. Goldy I guess we might have forseen the shared role, but Spencer didnt share with Gawn or Stef martin with archie smith.

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
GAWN OUT FOR THE GAME!

Bloody hell this season is ending before it even started for my Flying V :(

Reactions: cactus and Tandy

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
GAWN OUT FOR THE GAME!

Bloody hell this season is ending before it even started for my Flying V :(
How bad did it look? I have Gawn/Sand/Witts so I'm fine even if it's a month. But Preuss is mighty tempting....