Rookies 2016

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
I'm thinking of keeping Hartley. Will play eventually great insurance for sea and brown IMO.

I like papley, McCarthy and Hewett. But not sold on any of their job security.
mc Carthy is highly rated which danger quoted as saying "not sure where they have been hiding this bloke".

Anyone considering Milera?..
I've already had McCarthy he looks good won't rack up huge points but wI'll make you some cash non the less
I looked at Milera but at his price and with so many other players similar to him in Adelaides side I'm just abit worried about job security otherwise I would have picked him up myself

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
It's bloody deserted in all lines for Rookies isn't? I've just been looking myself and it is sparse best.
Both sketchy JS it's really a flip of the coin.
Yeh I know it's doing my head in lol

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Sounds like a lot of people going Gresham/Hewett/Davis as their midfield bench. I'm very worried about the J/S of all of those. I picked Davis cause he's so cheap. I couldn't take Gresham. Hewett I might have picked in place of C.Eliis if I had been able to get on. I'm worried that all of them may be gone by round 3.

BTW - Wow, Kerridge can absolutely butcher the ball. That turnover in the last quarter was horrible and potentially cost them the game. Lucky he plays for Carlton and his J/S is fine.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Sounds like a lot of people going Gresham/Hewett/Davis as their midfield bench. I'm very worried about the J/S of all of those. I picked Davis cause he's so cheap. I couldn't take Gresham. Hewett I might have picked in place of C.Eliis if I had been able to get on. I'm worried that all of them may be gone by round 3.

BTW - Wow, Kerridge can absolutely butcher the ball. That turnover in the last quarter was horrible and potentially cost them the game. Lucky he plays for Carlton and his J/S is fine.
This is why everyone had to go so heavy with rookies on the other lines. There's still quite a few rookies that didn't get named this round that should really play soon, like Hartley and Grimley for example. I've made sure that I've got plenty of DPP flexibility so that if these mid rookies don't work out and no other mid rookies turn up soon, then I can flick some players around between positions to make sure I get the rookies on the lines they are on. For example if Hartley does come up soon, I might ditch one of my mid rookies and put Lonergan in the mids to get that extra defender in.

Every year we worry about where the rookies will come from for first and second downgrades yet they always seem to appear. Mathieson will be around at a good time. Keays will probably play. Anyone who started with Petracca has cost themselves cash in the future. Cash generation won't necessarily be an issue this year. But finding the right guys to downgrade to will be more important than ever.

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015

As a saints supporter I think Graham's job security should be fairly reasonable as a rebuilding side and they seem to really like the kid I'd expect him to play a fair bit

Reactions: jibba

Knucks

Mar 23, 2016
I would just like to throw it out there cause a lot of people seem to be down on Gresham. I was the strength and conditioning coach at the Northern Knights for 3 years, and there are few people that seem as naturally talented and still work as hard as Gresham. The Knights bring Boomer Harvey back regularly to speak to the players as an old boy that has done so well, and Gresham's link to Harvey (played with his dad at the Knights) has allowed him to learn some professionalism from him. The kid is an absolute star, the question mark is his height, but his footy outweighs that one physical attribute. He will play 22 games for St Kilda barring injuries or first year fatigue.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Gresham's stats in the NAB weren't bad. I was very put off by the fact they only played him in the 2nd half in the last NAB game thinking he's not going to get a lot of game time just yet. No doubt he looks good, but I wasn't convinced he's going to get a lot of early games. Now that he's named he has to be considered.

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
With Hartley out and none of the fwd/def in my fwd line, i'm looking at Tom Lee if he gets named. Bit suspect on his job security though :/

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Tom Lee is interesting actually. I never even looked at him given his name, but his scoring history isn't terrible to be honest. At $123k he'll make plenty of $ but it's only if he gets games. The Saints paid a premium for him so you'd think they might want to give him a decent crack at it. But it's hard to see him ahead of McCartin and Bruce at this stage. McCartin sounds like he'll be available next week. Lee does have the flexibility to play down back too.

I'd have to take out Walla or Adams to fit him in though, unlikely to do that at this stage.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
I'd try not to panic too much about rookies. Only last year, Touk Miller felt very shaky but ended up being an excellent rookie pick. Oxley was another one who ended up staying in many teams all year. Back in your PS research with your rookies and remember we have two weeks of 'correction trading' to do if need be.

Reactions: tiltraise

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Petracca and Trengove both competed in a match simulation this morning and got through unscathed. Trengove hoping to play in the 2's next week.
Both were in my side yesterday, but both out now unfortunately. Trengove in particular is too good to pass up at that price. I might leave them for downgrade targets in a few weeks or as a fix for an underperforming rookie/midpricer.

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Both were in my side yesterday, but both out now unfortunately. Trengove in particular is too good to pass up at that price. I might leave them for downgrade targets in a few weeks or as a fix for an underperforming rookie/midpricer.

Neither will be back anytime soon. They wont rush Petracca, and Trengove has said himself that he will need a few games of footy before any thought of a chance in the1's. Looking (hoping) both available around the byes.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015

His kicking in general was alright more he just looked knackered, he was a bit fumblely in the clinches thats was the only real knock i saw.

fazmountain

Patron '19
Jun 23, 2015
Canada
Who are people going for forward rookies? i need to fill a spot and it is out of mitch mcgovern and and tom papley. help me determine this coin flip!

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
For what it's worth:

Tom Papley ranked 4th in the AFL for fwd half pressure points per 100 mins in the Only Libba, Greene and Neade higher - @FantasyFreako

Type of thing can keep a player in the team especially under Longmire

Reactions: tiltraise

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I really like Parish, more than Oliver, but it's silly to have either on the bench isn't it?

Reactions: smirski