Midfield 2016

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Seen a lot of people going very deep in the middle and to be honest I'm not a fan of it.

Rockliff M4 Libba M5 Mills M6 for me... Obviously could change because of rookies based off last NAB/Round 1 teams

but at the moment I'm fairly confident that there'll be 5 quality cheap rookies I can have in the middle after Mills

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Seen a lot of people going very deep in the middle and to be honest I'm not a fan of it.

Rockliff M4 Libba M5 Mills M6 for me... Obviously could change because of rookies based off last NAB/Round 1 teams

but at the moment I'm fairly confident that there'll be 5 quality cheap rookies I can have in the middle after Mills
I just can't pick the mid rookies over forwards with any confidence. None of them are really screaming out to be picked, some won't even play early. I can't believe Petracca is still in everyone's side. I'll happily eat my words but I don't see him walking in round 1. Will be a handy downgrade before the byes though. Other than that we're banking on guys like Gore, Jansen, Mathieson, McPherson... Most years we have mid rookies that are clearly best 22 and walk up starts. I don't see them that way this year.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
I'm with you @Steve. Apart from Mills and Parish the mid rookies look very speculative at this stage. There's plenty of potential options but none seem to have good job security: Keays Matheison Gore Dunkley Davis Macpherson Marcon Phillips Clarke Reid Cunningham Jansen Keough and Gresham. Not a single one screams "pick me" except maybe Matheison, who should get some early games. That's why I feel going deep in the midfield won't backfire this season. Compare that to the backline where there do seem to be some decent rookies on offer: Weitering Dea Brown Hartley and Tippa all seem solid and there's some more options in Mullett Ruggles Adams Collins Broad Byrne Byrne-Jones Ashby.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I just can't pick the mid rookies over forwards with any confidence. None of them are really screaming out to be picked, some won't even play early. I can't believe Petracca is still in everyone's side. I'll happily eat my words but I don't see him walking in round 1. Will be a handy downgrade before the byes though. Other than that we're banking on guys like Gore, Jansen, Mathieson, McPherson... Most years we have mid rookies that are clearly best 22 and walk up starts. I don't see them that way this year.
I agree there's probably less top quality mid rookies than most years but I'll be watching these guys in the last NAB [If named] Gresham, Hewett, Dunkley, Gore, Mathieson, Keays, Davis, Mountford, Clarke, Blakely, Marcon, Macaffer, Jansen, Lucas, Kennedy (GWS One). If 5+ of these guys don't start round 1 or score crap last NAB then I'm happy to get more forward rookies but even though there's more of the forwards that look like round 1 starts it doesn't really mean they'll score consistently better than a midfield rookie... I'm open to the idea of starting more forward cash cows if the mids don't look so good after this weekend but I'll be trying to search the midfield rather than loading up on forward rookies

Gresham I'm liking, think he will go decently
I'm liking Hewett considering he went really well 1st NAB then got named for the 3rd NAB, but it does make me nervous that McVeigh isn't in the side yet
Dunkley I'm thinking we could give a chance early, not encouraging that he didn't play NAB 1 though
Gore I'm expecting to go well
Mathieson will be in everyone's sides
Keays I think is also good chance to be in Lion's best 22

Shame Polkinghorne and Cuningham are nowhere to be seen, and Menegola+J.Smith+Trengove+Freeman injured. I'm not yet convinced the forward rookies will outscore the mid rookies, even if they are safer to play more games

Reactions: Steve

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Polkinghorne is injured but will be in my team once he is fit.

Hewett can get spot in the best 22 and keep it.

Gresham and Mathieson are currently in my team with Mills.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'm thinking Davis at GC is a chance to play.. at least first 6-8 rounds anyway

@tabs I'm assuming you're a Swans man, I feel unlike recent season there's actually 2-3 spots up for grabs at the Swans with a couple retirements & fringe players moving on over the last 2 seasons, would you agree with that?

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Anyone considering Matt Crouch?

I wouldn't begrudge any one going with assuming you are going off previous form at least as much as you're going off NAB form, his DE% will decrease when the real stuff start and you'll be left with 80-90s i think, which the way he's priced i guess would make him a decent stepping stone

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
I'm thinking Davis at GC is a chance to play.. at least first 6-8 rounds anyway

@tabs I'm assuming you're a Swans man, I feel unlike recent season there's actually 2-3 spots up for grabs at the Swans with a couple retirements & fringe players moving on over the last 2 seasons, would you agree with that?
Correct @Tevez17

Have been trying to put a best 22 together for R1 and its hard

Confirmed out: Alex Johnson, Gary Rohan
Questionable: Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Reid, Ben McGlynn, Ted Richards

B: Dane Rampe, Michael Talia, Nick Smith
HB: Zak Jones, Heath Grundy, Callum Mills
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack
HF: Dean Towers, Lance Franklin, Harry Cunningham
F: Brandon Jack, Callum Sinclair, Isaac Heeney,
Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell
I/C: George Hewett, Jake Lloyd, Jeremy Laidler, Dan Robinson

Others: James Rose, Abaina Davis, Toby Nankervis, Jack Hiscox, Tom Derickx, Tyrone Leonardis, Jordan Dawson, Sam Naismith, Aliir Aliir, Xavier Richards

5 spots up for grabs. Talia, Jones, BJack, Hewett and Laidler almost straight swaps for Teddles, Rohan, McGlynn, Macca and Reid.

Nankervis a chance to come in for Reid as well.
Hiscox a maybe as the guy can run all day.
Rose is a surprise as he finished in the team last year and has been named to play NAB every week but hasnt played yet

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
Brad Crouch has been dropped to the SANFL for NAB 3 along with Rory Atkins for "failing to meet team standards." Surely leaves him very questionable for round one

Reactions: Prospector

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Brad Crouch has been dropped to the SANFL for NAB 3 along with Rory Atkins for "failing to meet team standards." Surely leaves him very questionable for round one
Questionable at best. We're considering not starting GAJ cos he hasn't played NAB. Crouch has talent, no doubt, but he's not the son of God. I don't see how anyone can start him.

Reactions: J-Dog

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
That actually makes me want to pick him more as he'll be more of a POD. He's still fit to play so have no concerns there. He's so cheap for a guy who can rack up 30 possies most weeks, that I'll willing to take the punt. Worst case he gets injured and I downgrade him to a high-end rookie. If he's named round 1 I have to fit him in.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Correct @Tevez17

Have been trying to put a best 22 together for R1 and its hard

Confirmed out: Alex Johnson, Gary Rohan
Questionable: Jarrad McVeigh, Sam Reid, Ben McGlynn, Ted Richards

B: Dane Rampe, Michael Talia, Nick Smith
HB: Zak Jones, Heath Grundy, Callum Mills
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack
HF: Dean Towers, Lance Franklin, Harry Cunningham
F: Brandon Jack, Callum Sinclair, Isaac Heeney,
Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell
I/C: George Hewett, Jake Lloyd, Jeremy Laidler, Dan Robinson

Others: James Rose, Abaina Davis, Toby Nankervis, Jack Hiscox, Tom Derickx, Tyrone Leonardis, Jordan Dawson, Sam Naismith, Aliir Aliir, Xavier Richards

5 spots up for grabs. Talia, Jones, BJack, Hewett and Laidler almost straight swaps for Teddles, Rohan, McGlynn, Macca and Reid.

Nankervis a chance to come in for Reid as well.
Hiscox a maybe as the guy can run all day.
Rose is a surprise as he finished in the team last year and has been named to play NAB every week but hasnt played yet
There are serious holes there. I don't think Sydney will go so well this year. Rucks are a worry. Goals are a worry. Key defenders are in real bad shape. Ball use off the backline is poor. The others you list there wouldn't fill you with a lot of confidence.

One things for sure, the midfield will still rack up big numbers and the guys at the bottom will score nothing. The Sydney team have really gone away from the "even across the field" mantra of their 2012 premiership to "Top-heavy with not much at the bottom". This year is looking more of not much in-between as well.

Also bear in mind Sydney are very handball-happy - worst kick-handball ratio last year (1.14) and it's even worse in NAB (less than 1.00).

The worry on Sydney is the reason I only have Mills in my side currently. I'm avoiding all their premiums and mid-pricers completely.

TwentyThree

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
That actually makes me want to pick him more as he'll be more of a POD. He's still fit to play so have no concerns there. He's so cheap for a guy who can rack up 30 possies most weeks, that I'll willing to take the punt. Worst case he gets injured and I downgrade him to a high-end rookie. If he's named round 1 I have to fit him in.
Don't mind your risk-reward there. I think it's a 'good risk', if that makes sense. Could come off + easy enough to fix.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
There are serious holes there. I don't think Sydney will go so well this year. Rucks are a worry. Goals are a worry. Key defenders are in real bad shape. Ball use off the backline is poor. The others you list there wouldn't fill you with a lot of confidence.

One things for sure, the midfield will still rack up big numbers and the guys at the bottom will score nothing. The Sydney team have really gone away from the "even across the field" mantra of their 2012 premiership to "Top-heavy with not much at the bottom". This year is looking more of not much in-between as well.

Also bear in mind Sydney are very handball-happy - worst kick-handball ratio last year (1.14) and it's even worse in NAB (less than 1.00).

The worry on Sydney is the reason I only have Mills in my side currently. I'm avoiding all their premiums and mid-pricers completely.
Horse said today that Macca will be back R2 or 3.

Not totally happy with the look of the team with injuries but the Swans never put too much effort in the NAB cup. Dont usually win too many games

clint Stott

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 6, 2016
so i would really like Robbie Gray in my side, easy draw first up could give me the boos i need, thinking if GAJ does not make round 1 straight swap...... Thoughts

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
so i would really like Robbie Gray in my side, easy draw first up could give me the boos i need, thinking if GAJ does not make round 1 straight swap...... Thoughts
I've got Gray in my side, big fan of the pick.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Libba shocking today. 41 points from 79% TOG. I only saw him once in the 2nd half, otherwise he was invisible.

All of a sudden the most popular pick is looking a little shaky...