Midfield 2016

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Cheers... Another question, Robbie Gray top 10 mid?
hmmmm, I was against him but looking a bit closer now. If you take out injury games in rounds 3 and 12 he averaged 111 with Wines, and 119 when Wines wasn't in the side and 115 throughout the year including both if you take out injury games

Although there's a decent difference in the stats, I don't think that his scoring is that significantly influenced by Wines, without the injury games there's definitely value there and stats to suggest he can be a top midfielder of the comp, up to you but I'm picking JPKennedy at that price

I don't see Gray averaging less than 110 so there's not much downside to him and if Port improve again you'd expect Gray to improve

Coop

Feb 5, 2016
Does Pendles return to his 120+ ways?
I worry about the reduced number of contested possessions and clearances playing in the backline. He'll get heaps of easy touches but will struggle to go 120+. That said he shouldn't drop either.

Reactions: Prospector

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I worry about the reduced number of contested possessions and clearances playing in the backline. He'll get heaps of easy touches but will struggle to go 120+. That said he shouldn't drop either.
I know they say he'll play off the backline, just my thoughts but I think that'll be more like when players go forward to rest, he'll go back to rest rotating with Aish, Adams, Crisp, Greenwood while Swanny, Sidebottom, Treloar, Macaffer rotate forward

just a thought though. What do you guys think of that theory? Players will just be super versatile with the interchange cap coming down... Collingwood would be insane to play Pendles in the backline 90% of the time, he's one of the competition's best midfielders.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I'd imagine pendles' elite kicking efficiency would keep his scores high if he's getting cheap stuff down the backline

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Not going to happen, is it?
Nah no way haha, I was exaggerating to prove a point that Pendles should still spend most of his time in the middle, and his "Move to the backline" won't be a permanent role, he'll go there at times but I don't think he'll play significantly less midfield time than 2015

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Gary Ablett, Jaeger O’Meara, David Swallow and Dion Prestia will all miss opening NAB match. I know O'Meara is struggling Ablett probably wont play but Swallow and Prestia what's their story? I'm seriously thinking of not starting Ablett if he doesn't play at least 1 NAB game, I would like to see him under match conditions and see how he is travelling, especially as he will be lining up against Crowley in R1

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I'm seriously thinking of not starting Ablett if he doesn't play at least 1 NAB game, I would like to see him under match conditions and see how he is travelling, especially as he will be lining up against Crowley in R1
you've got to start him. Worst that happens if you do take him and he doesn't work out is that you use a trade to swap him sideways, which is really no loss considering 90% of teams will have him

just to risky not to take him at 620k (price for 115 average). If you take out his injury game in 2014 and his game against Dogs (from memory we tagged him with Wallis, Higgins and Picken). Then he averaged 147. I think you're forgetting how good he is. That's +30 value. +Highest averaging midfielder+captain option every week. You will regret not taking him soooooo much

Ablett did every preseason session except the match practice. Ablett doesn't need match practice, he'll be fiiiiiiiine

Crowley hasn't played in over a year either, +they don't want to use him purely tagging+Ablett scored 110 last time he copped the Crowley tag, if he averages 115 in the first 2 games his BE will be at 115 for round 3. I'd back Ablett in to score 115 anyday... Even if he was playing on his hands and knees

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
you've got to start him. Worst that happens if you do take him and he doesn't work out is that you use a trade to swap him sideways, which is really no loss considering 90% of teams will have him

just to risky not to take him at 620k (price for 115 average). If you take out his injury game in 2014 and his game against Dogs (from memory we tagged him with Wallis, Higgins and Picken). Then he averaged 147. I think you're forgetting how good he is. That's +30 value. +Highest averaging midfielder+captain option every week. You will regret not taking him soooooo much

Ablett did every preseason session except the match practice. Ablett doesn't need match practice, he'll be fiiiiiiiine

Crowley hasn't played in over a year either, +they don't want to use him purely tagging+Ablett scored 110 last time he copped the Crowley tag, if he averages 115 in the first 2 games his BE will be at 115 for round 3. I'd back Ablett in to score 115 anyday... Even if he was playing on his hands and knees

Man that was a long winded note just to tell me i'm a dickhead! lol

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
Def: kk, bartel, yeo, aish, harley, bonner, brown, broad
mid, fyfe, danger, pendles, ablett, rock, liba, o'meara, freeman, cunningham, keays, greasham
ruck: goldy, lodde, wyatt
fwd: martin, dahl, barlow, simpkin, kerridge, petra, grimmly, skinner

any suggestions guys??

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Def: kk, bartel, yeo, aish, harley, bonner, brown, broad
mid, fyfe, danger, pendles, ablett, rock, liba, o'meara, freeman, cunningham, keays, greasham
ruck: goldy, lodde, wyatt
fwd: martin, dahl, barlow, simpkin, kerridge, petra, grimmly, skinner

any suggestions guys??

This thread is for discussions about midfielders so you may not get the response that you're hoping for.

If there isn't already a thread for Rate My Team your more then welcome to start up one to get the discussion flowing.

As for your team I like some of your picks - KK, Simpkin and Goldy. But imo your midfield is too heavy and as a result your backline and forwards are looking vulnerable.

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Mids.png
Thoughts? rookies of course just filling spots for now but I'm happy with premium selections, don't think omeara will play round 1 and i don't trust crouch yet, Libba seems the lock and not even a risky mid priced pick. Wines to be the big mover hell be 600k+ by years end i think.

J-Dog

Jordan
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Veterans
Apr 26, 2015
View attachment 212
Thoughts? rookies of course just filling spots for now but I'm happy with premium selections, don't think omeara will play round 1 and i don't trust crouch yet, Libba seems the lock and not even a risky mid priced pick. Wines to be the big mover hell be 600k+ by years end i think.
Selwood is the only one of your premiums with a bit of a question mark, has had an interrupted preseason. I'd be more inclined to go for someone like Shiel at a similar price or fork out a bit more for a Priddis/Hannebery type.
As for overall structure, it is quite a heavy midfield as TomCat has mentioned above. If you dropped a premium to Parish for example that would free up ~$350k to spend elsewhere.

Reactions: Prospector and Dino

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
Selwood is the only one of your premiums with a bit of a question mark, has had an interrupted preseason. I'd be more inclined to go for someone like Shiel at a similar price or fork out a bit more for a Priddis/Hannebery type.
As for overall structure, it is quite a heavy midfield as TomCat has mentioned above. If you dropped a premium to Parish for example that would free up ~$350k to spend elsewhere.
Yeah I do agree with selwood he could definitely be swapped, luckily I have been able to load up a little in the mids, i have a structure of 4 prems & 4 rooks in backs and fwds & am running Nic nat at r1, with lobbe at r2, so i don't think i need the cash elsewhere unless lobbe maybe becomes goldstein? Shiel could be a super pick this year surely he's about to explode