Defenders 2016

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Lonergan vs Sheridan
Atm i think Sheridans role wont change as much as Lonergans throughout the year. Ablett, Prestia, Omera and Swallow comming back could hurt Lonergans scoring later on. What are your thoughts fellas?
I like Lonergan given the coach has discussed a definite midfield role. Of course he'll have to play well to take keep playing there but he seems a reasonable pick. Could get squeezed out when/if the regular midfield comes back ... but you can cross that bridge when it happens.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
So ... Eliot Yeo. Was all the rage when prices were released (as was B. Smith) ... seems like now you couldn't give the guy away.

Few reasons he could be a good pick. Played about 60 games. Coming into his 5th season. Got used in defence last year to cover some injuries. If he manages a 10 point increase he'd be a good pick.

Reactions: smirski

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
With May and Thompson fit should people be looking seriously at Trent Mckenzie? playing a 3rd tall roll = intercept marks & we know he likes to kick...

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
So ... Eliot Yeo. Was all the rage when prices were released (as was B. Smith) ... seems like now you couldn't give the guy away.

Few reasons he could be a good pick. Played about 60 games. Coming into his 5th season. Got used in defence last year to cover some injuries. If he manages a 10 point increase he'd be a good pick.
He seems touted as that Mr. Fix-it-guy at WCE. They have a lot of midfield depth. I think he'll be up and down. Could potentially have a decent run of 100 scoring followed by poorer runs.

Reactions: cactus

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
So the take away from this is - if he was getting the mid time already last year - and he was scoring crap - we can't pin our hopes on more midfield minutes to improve his scoring. Hmmm. Just when I'd locked him in and was feeling happy with the team ...
Just had a look on SC Gold at Rich and they are predicting that he wont make any money all year and his starting price will be his highest he will cost for the year

Could be an upgrade target if he finds the ball

See ya Richie

Reactions: Prospector

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Aren't you getting in mid pricers to keep for the year? If not they won't make you enough to upgrade to prems
I guess its like Steve said, then, he's floating D7/M9 by the time his scores drop away, along with his price ...?

Reactions: currymunchers

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
Just had a look on SC Gold at Rich and they are predicting that he wont make any money all year and his starting price will be his highest he will cost for the year

Could be an upgrade target if he finds the ball

See ya Richie

You wouldn't be starting Rich as a stepping stone in defence. You'd only be doing it hoping he averages 90+ and turns into a keeper. You also wouldn't start him if you thought he wouldn't improve on last year, which is predominantly what SC Gold bases its predictions on. If you think he'll have a good year and significantly improve on his average of 80 odd, stick him in your team (which I have currently done). If not then give him the flick. I wouldn't be basing my decision on what SC Gold thinks players will do. If we did that then no one would get Libba as he's only projected to get scores between 66 and 69 all year.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
@Prospector and @Steve have nailed it. Lonergan is a different case. Given the absence of Omeara, Swallow and possibly Prestia in the early to mid rounds of the season, Lonergan should see plenty of midfield time and score reasonably well in the first half of the season. When they all come back, he may get pushed out and his average will drop as a result. In the past couple of seasons, I think a lot of us have managed to push a 350k odd player to the pine as cover. Lonergan fits that mould perfectly - he should score well early while we are upgrading our teams in the first half of the season and when his scoring drops off later we can push him to the pine and use him as cover. The only difference is you're paying the 350k now instead of later

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
You wouldn't be starting Rich as a stepping stone in defence. You'd only be doing it hoping he averages 90+ and turns into a keeper. You also wouldn't start him if you thought he wouldn't improve on last year, which is predominantly what SC Gold bases its predictions on. If you think he'll have a good year and significantly improve on his average of 80 odd, stick him in your team (which I have currently done). If not then give him the flick. I wouldn't be basing my decision on what SC Gold thinks players will do. If we did that then no one would get Libba as he's only projected to get scores between 66 and 69 all year.
Good point. Beams out helps Rich's mid time but also guarantees him a tag.

Liba may be used as a cash cow but i dont think Rich can

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
Good point. Beams out helps Rich's mid time but also guarantees him a tag.

Liba may be used as a cash cow but i dont think Rich can

The tag is definitely the biggest worry with Rich, but given the recent shift away from taggers he shouldn't have too many stinkers. I think he can manage a 90 average which makes him a solid pick in defence. At that price point I'm happy to take the punt.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
If you get Lonergan for $350k now and he goes up in price whilst JOM, Swallow and co are out. Once they come back and Lonergan's mid time is diminished, surely you will sell him for the coin rather than him losing cash on your bench?

Reactions: Prospector

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
If you get Lonergan for $350k now and he goes up in price whilst JOM, Swallow and co are out. Once they come back and Lonergan's mid time is diminished, surely you will sell him for the coin rather than him losing cash on your bench?

Guess it depends how it pans out. I still think he can average 75-80 with those guys in the team, which is solid as cover in defence. Unless I desperately need the money I'd be inclined to ride out the price changes and leave him on my pine. Reliable cover always comes in handy and we all know how much trades are worth later in the season.

Reactions: Steve

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Guess it depends how it pans out. I still think he can average 75-80 with those guys in the team, which is solid as cover in defence. Unless I desperately need the money I'd be inclined to ride out the price changes and leave him on my pine. Reliable cover always comes in handy and we all know how much trades are worth later in the season.
yeah, you will be doing well to have Lonergan on the bench if he is about $400k when the boys come back

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
Lonergan injury history not a worry? Has a really big soft tissue history. Might become an expensive loophole option rather than bench cover.