Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
The more i think about Rich the more i think about last season.
I really see the same outcome it seems very familiar circumstances.
...which is why he's currently out of my side haha. Was just interesting to hear both Marcus and Donk have him.

Reactions: doddy2731

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Quotes from Lions Senior Assistant Coach Danny Daly on Daniel Rich

“He’s been training in the midfield throughout the whole pre-season. He’ll probably play 90% of his time through the midfield.

“His ability to read the play; we all know he has a beautiful kick on him, and his ability to work through the lines as a midfielder and get that ball into our forwards is going to be crucial for us in 2016.”

Knowing he's going to be playing 90% in the midfield just makes him a must have, could go 95+ average. hard to say no to him at 436k

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Believe he played mainly a half back role last year, and also coming back from an ACL, didn't do to bad.

This year going back to where he started he's career in the midfield after a strong pre-season, can see why the boys on the podcast are picking him!

however would love to hear the communities thoughts on Tom Cutler, playing off half back for the lions with a great kick/hb ratio, played both nab games with 20+ possessions in both games playing along side Harwood and Mayes.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
The guys were very bullish on Rich on the podcast. He's been in and out of my side but Ive had him before and remember how goddamn frustrating he can be. Lonergan has filled his spot at D4 but he is by no means locked.
Rich
Lonergan
KK

These three I've been moving around, in and out of my team, just can't make the backline look right ...

Lonergan feels so speculative but then he's played about the same number of games as KK. I feel if I could get my head around the backline I'd be feeling pretty content with my team ...

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Rich
Lonergan
KK

These three I've been moving around, in and out of my team, just can't make the backline look right ...

Lonergan feels so speculative but then he's played about the same number of games as KK. I feel if I could get my head around the backline I'd be feeling pretty content with my team ...
I rated Lonergan as a rookie so I've got a soft spot for him, but I'm happy with him at D4. I wouldn't be comfortable with Rich at D3 though. So I'm either sacrificing money from another line to go deep in defence and have Dea at D6 or making a choice between Rich and Lonergan. I wish it was lockout already.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
He had similar opportunity last year and stunk it up.

First year off a knee reco and played a fair bit out of defence I'm content with his 80 ave last year the worry is he's a perennial 80-90 scorer but he has the attributes to go bigger than that I'm willing to give the chance at this stage.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
however would love to hear the communities thoughts on Tom Cutler, playing off half back for the lions with a great kick/hb ratio, played both nab games with 20+ possessions in both games playing along side Harwood and Mayes.
Cutler not a bad option, but depends on his role. You'd think there's plenty of users out of defence for the Lions and he'll play a lockdown role quite often once the real stuff starts. He's probably the guy who'll go to a dangerous small forward. Might be a few 40's thrown in with his 90's.

He'll go up in value so tempting, but at the awkward price you'd want to be sure of his role in the team.

Reactions: Dino

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
The guys were very bullish on Rich on the podcast. He's been in and out of my side but Ive had him before and remember how goddamn frustrating he can be. Lonergan has filled his spot at D4 but he is by no means locked.
He is playing for a new 4-5 yr contract though/ Usually means they have a cracking year

Reactions: Shinboner and Steve

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
Cutler not a bad option, but depends on his role. You'd think there's plenty of users out of defence for the Lions and he'll play a lockdown role quite often once the real stuff starts. He's probably the guy who'll go to a dangerous small forward. Might be a few 40's thrown in with his 90's.

He'll go up in value so tempting, but at the awkward price you'd want to be sure of his role in the team.

Leppa said in askthecoach on afl fb that Cutler and Mayes will play off halfback this year, and looking at his nab stats, I think it might be true.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Cutler's de% isn't good enough for how much of his ball will be uncontested, but assuming he plays he should still make you 100k

The Kraken

Development Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 5, 2015
First year off a knee reco and played a fair bit out of defence I'm content with his 80 ave last year the worry is he's a perennial 80-90 scorer but he has the attributes to go bigger than that I'm willing to give the chance at this stage.

Easy to forget that Rich is still only 25.. not too late to take a step up at all IMO..

Reactions: clint Stott

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
Reactions: cactus and Rupert

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Interesting seeing Rich's heatmap from 2015 (From subscription on AFL app)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd4XgN1UMAAfOnL.jpg

Compare with Boyd & Shaw
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd4eiKvVIAEDe2p.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd4e4ywUIAAmP5S.jpg

Seems Rich in 2015 pushed into the mids from defence a lot more than some of the other genuine halfbacks FWIW.
I have a few more heatmaps on my twitter for those interested (https://twitter.com/Jibrangers)
So the take away from this is - if he was getting the mid time already last year - and he was scoring crap - we can't pin our hopes on more midfield minutes to improve his scoring. Hmmm. Just when I'd locked him in and was feeling happy with the team ...

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
Interesting seeing Rich's heatmap from 2015 (From subscription on AFL app)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd4XgN1UMAAfOnL.jpg

Compare with Boyd & Shaw
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd4eiKvVIAEDe2p.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd4e4ywUIAAmP5S.jpg

Seems Rich in 2015 pushed into the mids from defence a lot more than some of the other genuine halfbacks FWIW.
I have a few more heatmaps on my twitter for those interested (https://twitter.com/Jibrangers)

Makes my decision to leave him out justified, cheers.

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
So the take away from this is - if he was getting the mid time already last year - and he was scoring crap - we can't pin our hopes on more midfield minutes to improve his scoring. Hmmm. Just when I'd locked him in and was feeling happy with the team ...
Yeah, I reckon. Potentially increased centre bounce attendances may help his scoring but would it add 10ppg? Not too sure. Especially when Beams and Zorko are back. If he breaks out, I'm happier to trade him in than start with him. At 436k, I'd want a bit more certainty.

Reactions: Steve

Shinboner

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 19, 2016
The more i think about Rich the more i think about last season.
I really see the same outcome it seems very familiar circumstances.
I havn't had Rich since his debut season but at this stage have him in.
The big reason this year to pick him, is obviously his defender status. (I may be wrong but has he had this before? Maybe once??)
Most that have been left with a bad "Rich" taste in the mouth have been burnt in the midfield.
A player of mid to upper mid price that averages only 80 in the mids is a disaster and hard to deal with, but in defence, it's not a write off and much easier to fix.......even the premo defs (except Shaw) usually drop into the 400Ks and the issue can be fixed.
That's if it goes bad.

His upside though is great.
Right age. Playing for a contract.
He is playing for a new 4-5 yr contract though/ Usually means they have a cracking year
Has the ceiling to go 120-140 in games.
Not a huge gamble in defence.

I don't know why, I know there are different circumstances, but my gut feeling with this pick is similar to the Higgins pick last year.

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Lonergan vs Sheridan
Atm i think Sheridans role wont change as much as Lonergans throughout the year. Ablett, Prestia, Omera and Swallow comming back could hurt Lonergans scoring later on. What are your thoughts fellas?

Reactions: cactus