Defenders 2016

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
Whats the knock on Dea, besides the extra 70k. He went to center bounces and doesn't know how to miss a target. He is a lock in my defense.
He'll be playing in the VFL without injuries to some of the senior guys ie: Baguley, Gwilt, Kelly, Dempsey I'd think. Think he'll be behind Tippa & Fantasia at the dons, but that's just my view. I'd love to hear what FBDonkey thinks.
Definitely won't be used at centre bounces in the real games, only there because Dons lacked mature bodies at stoppages in that NAB game.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
220k on a side that will be lucky to win 5 games. what can he honestly avg? 60 - 65 MAX?
The same can probably be said for Dea. I wouldn't see him averaging any more than that.

camloch

Super Coach
Apr 24, 2015
What does everyone think of McGovern? Could be primed for a big year with more defensive support this year. Loves the intercept mark too.
Thoughts?
Im not too keen on the top 6 priced defenders at the moment, obviously Shaw is a bit different, if you want to spend that kind of coin or can fit him in without altering the mids go for it. Im looking for a bit more value down back this year. Other mentions are Hurn and to a lesser extent, Simpson.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
What does everyone think of McGovern? Could be primed for a big year with more defensive support this year. Loves the intercept mark too.
Thoughts?
Im not too keen on the top 6 priced defenders at the moment, obviously Shaw is a bit different, if you want to spend that kind of coin or can fit him in without altering the mids go for it. Im looking for a bit more value down back this year. Other mentions are Hurn and to a lesser extent, Simpson.

Had Mcgovern last season and it was a roller-coaster with a pretty boring ending, I think his injury risk outways his potential to get to a 95 average, but no doubt on his day he can go huge.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Had Mcgovern last season and it was a roller-coaster with a pretty boring ending, I think his injury risk outways his potential to get to a 95 average, but no doubt on his day he can go huge.
With Eric back then McGovern can ruin off HB
220k on a side that will be lucky to win 5 games. what can he honestly avg? 60 - 65 MAX?
True and how much ball will he get and how much will fly over his head. NEver really considered him. will be watching what the cats do with Thurlow's replacement

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Actually you know i dint realize Mcgovern was so cheap, maybe he could slot into D3 at that price.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
Anyone keen on Mullett at 200k? Had somewhat of a breakout campaign in 2013 where he averaged 77.7 (dropped under 60 in just 2/21 games not including his injury affected score), however has struggled with injuries and form in the last couple of years. Seems to be highly rated at North and was locked away on a new contract back in August last year. Played 66% of the game and scored 86 on the weekend. Biggest issue is job security but if he locked down a spot it'd be a massive win as he'd probably manage a 75 average and push towards the 400k mark. Could be the perfect stepping stone player. Well and truly on my radar.

Found this link on him as well (as some of you may have noticed, something I love doing):
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-02-16/fish-back-in-water

Last edited:

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
He'll be playing in the VFL without injuries to some of the senior guys ie: Baguley, Gwilt, Kelly, Dempsey I'd think. Think he'll be behind Tippa & Fantasia at the dons, but that's just my view. I'd love to hear what FBDonkey thinks.
Definitely won't be used at centre bounces in the real games, only there because Dons lacked mature bodies at stoppages in that NAB game.

Pretty much agree with that mate. I think he will play some games but he isnt a reliable best 22 unlike Brown and Hartley. He definitely wont be attending centre bounces when the midfielders come back into the team.

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Anyone keen on Mullett at 200k? Had somewhat of a breakout campaign in 2013 where he averaged 77.7 (dropped under 60 in just 2/21 games not including his injury affected score), however has struggled with injuries and form in the last couple of years. Seems to be highly rated at North and was locked away on a new contract back in August last year. Played 66% of the game and scored 86 on the weekend. Biggest issue is job security but if he locked down a spot it'd be a massive win as he'd probably manage a 75 average and push towards the 400k mark. Could be the perfect stepping stone player. Well and truly on my radar.

Found this link on him as well (as some of you may have noticed, something I love doing):
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-02-16/fish-back-in-water

I have considered him and that article does sound good. What do you think Norf's back 6 looks like? Does it include him? He seems to be competing with MacMillan, Atley, McDonald who would all probably have him covered at this stage.

HoneyBadger

Patron '16
Patron '19
Feb 16, 2016
As a Kangaroos supporter, Mullett has no chance without heaps of injuries.

We have Thompson, Firrito, Tippett, Tarrant & Hansen competing for 3 spots.
Then Wright, Atley, MacMillan & MacDonald competing for the other 3.

He wont play Round 1. Move on guys.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
I have considered him and that article does sound good. What do you think Norf's back 6 looks like? Does it include him? He seems to be competing with MacMillan, Atley, McDonald who would all probably have him covered at this stage.

It's actually really hard to tell. Had a look at a couple of articles which had a crack at North's best 22 and somehow Macmillan wasn't in either! Ridiculous. Mullett probably will struggle to get games the more I think about it, but one to keep an eye on anyhow.

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Thoughts?
Love McGovern but finding it hard to slot him in. Keen to see more in the NAB. Potentially top 10 defender for sure.

I'd actually love to see him back forward clunking marks and kicking goals. He's keen for ruck time too, but hard to see him getting that unless NicNat or Lycett get injured.

Will be watching his role closely this weekend and might end up putting him over Brodie Smith, who is another I'll watch closely.

Keen to see my big POD come out this weekend too

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Not yet convinced Mullett could average over 80, but worth watching for the last NAB. Kicks a lot more than he handballs which is awesome so he doesn't need to get as much of the footy to have a decent score.

Will probably make room for him if he has a really good one in the next NAB... Definitely like him more than Weiters and Dea though

Reactions: currymunchers

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Keen to see my big POD come out this weekend too
OK. I'll bite. If you are talking anywhere on the field I think you're going Brad Crouch. Not sure what his ownership is like at the moment but there are quite a few knocks on him so he' be a fair POD you'd reckon.
If your hinting at a backline specific POD then I'm not sure ...

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
For sure Mullett is a better option than Weiters and Dea but i still cant start him in my team. Had him before and never again

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I think rather than Dea, Weitering or Mullet if you can find the extra 60K-100K for Harwood assuming he's up and about this weekend and named round one.

Reactions: currymunchers

GMAT

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Mar 3, 2016
I think rather than Dea, Weitering or Mullet if you can find the extra 60K-100K for Harwood assuming he's up and about this weekend and named round one.
Was Harwood injured last season? I had my eye on him for last season but he only made it on park late in year. Seems to have reasonable scoring potential when playing.

clint Stott

Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Feb 6, 2016
Hi guys, just wondering on everybody's thoughts are on Brodie smith this season.

alrighty then

Assistant Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Apr 30, 2015
I believe all these guys are speculative picks if they are priced around Harwood's price. I would really like the Harwood pick if he was 200k or lower, but 283k is creeping a little high into that awkward territory

Reactions: Prospector