2017 Forward Midpricers

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Roughy is a clear 1st in my eyes because of his scoring history.

Yea I feel like Roughy is a lock. Since the forward line is lacking solid premium options this year, maybe we can get away with picking 2 out of Roughead, Ryder, Steele, Nankervis. It is more viable/less risky to pick a mid priced forward, than it is in the other lines.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015
I have Roughead and Nankervis and would love to add Steele but when do you stop?

Reactions: Prospector and Dino

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
I have Roughead and Nankervis and would love to add Steele but when do you stop?
Is this unprecedented? Have we ever had this many mid priced players with legitimate reasons for improving their average? (new club + role, ESS suspension, LTI). I'm trying to get some context on how much risk we can afford to take this year.

Last year I can't think of anywhere near as many guys.

lenny

Development Coach
Jun 21, 2015
I've had Caddy in all pre season but thinking Steele may now be a better option. What are peoples thoughts, Steele does look the goods after going up against a good midfield and after Caddy's last game I've cooled on him a bit

Reactions: Mick

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I've had Caddy in all pre season but thinking Steele may now be a better option. What are peoples thoughts, Steele does look the goods after going up against a good midfield and after Caddy's last game I've cooled on him a bit
I'm a Sainter so I'm biased but I think Steele is the real deal - if he plays the same role in the season proper.
The knock on him was 2-fold:
he was great against lesser opposition, ie in the NEAFL, but tended to fold against the better opposition - not evident yesterday
he was too up-and-down - too soon to tell but he played various positions with the Giants and rarely spent time in the mids

The Sainters wanted him and chased him, and Stevens, because they fulfill a specific need: tall-ish, big-bodied contested mids who tackle and can also play outside. Ross was the only mid they had like that. Steven, Armitage, Dunstan and Newnes are all on the short side, Gresham is very short, Billings and Acres are outside players.

In sum: I think he's likely to average 90+ but not necessarily top-10.
Is he a good pick? Can you accept a 90av? Or would you want him as a stepping stone. Priced at 64 he's likely to make $125,000+.

Bombers56

Premiership Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Jun 11, 2015

Thats what I did yesterday. Steele is a bit cheaper and I think has a bigger upside.

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
There's a lot of talk around about Jack Steele. He had a solid JLT but his scores last year were pretty ordinary. I realise his role at GWS was obviously different, but will the role he played in the JLT be what he plays all year?? Very risky pick going on scoring history

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
There's a lot of talk around about Jack Steele. He had a solid JLT but his scores last year were pretty ordinary. I realise his role at GWS was obviously different, but will the role he played in the JLT be what he plays all year?? Very risky pick going on scoring history

Yeah I like him but at the price you'd want him to be a keeper and I just don't quite see it myself, Guys just don't break out from the 300-400K range, the only thing that gives me pause with Steele a bit is that had he been at a different club last season he would have more overall game time and also pure-mid time thus in essence is he actually a 400K-450K priced guy ready to break into Premo scoring ala Merrett & lesser extent Hall.

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
Just not taking a lot of interest in mid-pricers, that's all ...

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
was pretty much best on ground every week for the Giants in the NEAFL, contested and tackling beast which scores well for supercoach, suffered playing mostly forward in the senior team... if he can convert 70% his stats from the NEAFL over the last two years to the AFL then he'll be a great pick http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/121018/Jack-STEELE this is where you can see a brief review of each game, look at the NEAFL games where he's playing midfield rather than forward in the AFL

Obviously AFL and NEAFL are two different things, but 30+ touches each week for the last 2 years week in week out, if he can take 22 touches, a few tackles and a goal a game with 8/22 being contested then that's a keeper effort

Reactions: cactus

Prospector

“Think it over, think it under.”
Veterans
Apr 29, 2015
was pretty much best on ground every week for the Giants in the NEAFL, contested and tackling beast which scores well for supercoach, suffered playing mostly forward in the senior team... if he can convert 70% his stats from the NEAFL over the last two years to the AFL then he'll be a great pick http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/121018/Jack-STEELE this is where you can see a brief review of each game, look at the NEAFL games where he's playing midfield rather than forward in the AFL

Obviously AFL and NEAFL are two different things, but 30+ touches each week for the last 2 years week in week out, if he can take 22 touches, a few tackles and a goal a game with 8/22 being contested then that's a keeper effort
I see at least 2 "if"s in this post ... I think that means it's an "iffy" choice.

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
I see at least 2 "if"s in this post ... I think that means it's an "iffy" choice.
thanks for the input, pretty sure most people on these forums know most 350k picks are a bit iffy

My one IF was IF he can convert 70% of his stats form NEAFL to AFL, then listed roughly what that looks like... I'll count that as hardly one, not atleast 2

ps, I use the word IF in more or less every post I make. Whether it be about Danger or Dawson, I'd like to be able to predict the future but for now I've gotta use words like "if" to suggest possibilities

He thrives as a player off his contested touches and tackles, nowhere near as much of the in close stuff up forward. Hence why he suffered at the Giants, minimal minutes in the midfield, and those minutes were barely at centre bounces, and even if he was, every time he'd be alongside a couple other GWS gun mids. On top of that, when he went forward why would you kick it to Jack Steele ahead of Stevie J, Toby Greene, Devon Smith, Jez Cameron, Jono Patton.... Unlike a lot of other fwd/mids like Petracca, Billings, Bont who are genuine target forward Steele doesn't really offer that... I don't really see his role changing too much from what it was in the JLT, considering how well he did and new players to a club generally do get the role change they desire

Steele will be a key midfielder at St Kilda for a long time, so I can definitely see them giving him every opportunity in the middle

With all that being said, I do not think he's a safe pick, but definitely the safest pick under 400k to possibly be a keeper, his ceiling is huge, his NEAFL stats show he is capable of maintaining insane form for a long time, his JLT series scores were 50 (from about 30-35% gametime), 155 and 114 and I believe he's set to get the role he deserves

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
thanks for the input, pretty sure most people on these forums know most 350k picks are a bit iffy

My one IF was IF he can convert 70% of his stats form NEAFL to AFL, then listed roughly what that looks like... I'll count that as hardly one, not atleast 2

ps, I use the word IF in more or less every post I make. Whether it be about Danger or Dawson, I'd like to be able to predict the future but for now I've gotta use words like "if" to suggest possibilities

He thrives as a player off his contested touches and tackles, nowhere near as much of the in close stuff up forward. Hence why he suffered at the Giants, minimal minutes in the midfield, and those minutes were barely at centre bounces, and even if he was, every time he'd be alongside a couple other GWS gun mids. On top of that, when he went forward why would you kick it to Jack Steele ahead of Stevie J, Toby Greene, Devon Smith, Jez Cameron, Jono Patton.... Unlike a lot of other fwd/mids like Petracca, Billings, Bont who are genuine target forward Steele doesn't really offer that... I don't really see his role changing too much from what it was in the JLT, considering how well he did and new players to a club generally do get the role change they desire

Steele will be a key midfielder at St Kilda for a long time, so I can definitely see them giving him every opportunity in the middle

With all that being said, I do not think he's a safe pick, but definitely the safest pick under 400k to possibly be a keeper, his ceiling is huge, his NEAFL stats show he is capable of maintaining insane form for a long time, his JLT series scores were 50 (from about 30-35% gametime), 155 and 114 and I believe he's set to get the role he deserves

Like your confidence, back you gut and head.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne

Hehehe. @Prospector consider yourself put in your place. :p

... I did think it was a trifle harsh counting that as two "if"s given he was essentially making the same point twice.

@M4TT B8S - you make a good case. I'm going to go back and look at Steele closely now. I hadn't really even bothered to look because there are so many fallen primos that I've not bothered with the speculative breakout contenders. So it sounds like you rate Steele ahead of Nankervis as speculative forward line picks? What's your thinking there?

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
@M4TT B8S - you make a good case. I'm going to go back and look at Steele closely now. I hadn't really even bothered to look because there are so many fallen primos that I've not bothered with the speculative breakout contenders. So it sounds like you rate Steele ahead of Nankervis as speculative forward line picks? What's your thinking there?

If you have Sandi you've gotta have Nankervis over Steele, but as pure breakout contenders I like Steele a little more

I'm tempted to take both, I really don't like those forward Premiums but if they don't work out I've screwed myself... If they do though, it'll be a nice place to be

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
My forward line may end up 1-4-3 Higgins Steele, Nankervis, Roughead being the 4.

Reactions: M4TT B8S

brenna

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Feb 26, 2016
My forward line may end up 1-4-3 Higgins Steele, Nankervis, Roughead being the 4.
What do you see Roughead averaging? I was locked on him all pre season but I don't see him averaging more than 90, can even see him going as low as the 70-80 region. For me its too much risk for his awkward price.