2017 Team Structure

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
call me crazy
but the more im looking at it, going in with a 2/0/6 backline isnt looking like the worst idea im not finding it hard to find rookies for the backline but at the moment the midfield rookies seem harder
wats everyone else thinking

Captain Danger

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Feb 27, 2017
I am in a similar position- I agree there does seem to be plenty of backline rookies.
Listening to the midfielders SCC podcast they talked about having 5 premiums in thier mids- to do so you need to save money somewhere else!
In my backline I currently have 3/0/5 really considering whether I need a mid pricer in the mix.
Have McGrath at D4 but wondering if he is the worth the dosh?
Unsure whether I upgrade or downgrade him.
Glad I am not the only one thinking of filling my backline with rookies!

Reactions: Brad

Brad

Assistant Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
May 13, 2015
I currently don't have McGrath only because I don't like paying 200k for rookies
I currently have 3/0/5 as well but with lack of rookies in mids I'm looking at 2/0/6 mids would be 6/1/4 rucks 2/0/1 and forwards 3/0/5

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I am in a similar position- I agree there does seem to be plenty of backline rookies.
Listening to the midfielders SCC podcast they talked about having 5 premiums in thier mids- to do so you need to save money somewhere else!
In my backline I currently have 3/0/5 really considering whether I need a mid pricer in the mix.
Have McGrath at D4 but wondering if he is the worth the dosh?
Unsure whether I upgrade or downgrade him.
Glad I am not the only one thinking of filling my backline with rookies!

Yeah think 200K is a bit steep for what looks like a 60odd ave.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
call me crazy
but the more im looking at it, going in with a 2/0/6 backline isnt looking like the worst idea im not finding it hard to find rookies for the backline but at the moment the midfield rookies seem harder
wats everyone else thinking
I'm sitting at 3/0/5 down back myself right now, and I have looked at 2/0/6 (which I did last year and got middling results). My big problem with 2/0/6 is that I don't think we will have the quality rookies to do it once the round 1 teamsheets come out. A lot of people are counting on Luke Ryan getting named, and I don't think that's happening now. Nic Newman is another one we probably need to get named and he may just be on the fence with how he's performed this preseason so far; we need to see something from him in JLT3. EVW is probably a lock, but Hibberd may or may not be best 22 at North. His JLT2 was at least better that his JLT1 so he's trending up. Hampton and Tom Stewart are looking like locks as well. I also need to see Scharenberg score better before I put him in my team at 160k.

So, for me, I only have 3 rookie backs I think are locks right now (Hampton, Stewart, EVW), which means I need those 3 premiums to not expose another rookie on ground...AND I need 2 of Hibberd, Newman, Ryan, and maybe Joel Smith to get named to fill out my interchange. On top of that, I have no bloody idea about the midfield rookies right now so I may need Hibberd on my midfield bench. This is all speculation until teamsheets come out, but it seems to me that 3-0-5 is stretched pretty thin with rookies right now, so 2-0-6 is a structure I haven't been toying around with much lately.

A couple notes: Jarrod Berry going down in preseason hurt (both for having defense rookies available and for not having someone to swing to the mids for Hibberd because none of these other rookies has DPP), but I guess he should be a good downgrade at some point. I also haven't really considered the more expensive guys like McGrath or even Keefe because I don't think the cash generation will be there. If you're considering them then you probably could go 2-0-6. TBH, though, I'd go midprice with Thurlow before McGrath, but I might be in the minority on that one.

GeneralHodge

Feb 22, 2017
I'm sitting at 3/0/5 down back myself right now, and I have looked at 2/0/6 (which I did last year and got middling results). My big problem with 2/0/6 is that I don't think we will have the quality rookies to do it once the round 1 teamsheets come out. A lot of people are counting on Luke Ryan getting named, and I don't think that's happening now. Nic Newman is another one we probably need to get named and he may just be on the fence with how he's performed this preseason so far; we need to see something from him in JLT3. EVW is probably a lock, but Hibberd may or may not be best 22 at North. His JLT2 was at least better that his JLT1 so he's trending up. Hampton and Tom Stewart are looking like locks as well. I also need to see Scharenberg score better before I put him in my team at 160k.

So, for me, I only have 3 rookie backs I think are locks right now (Hampton, Stewart, EVW), which means I need those 3 premiums to not expose another rookie on ground...AND I need 2 of Hibberd, Newman, Ryan, and maybe Joel Smith to get named to fill out my interchange. On top of that, I have no bloody idea about the midfield rookies right now so I may need Hibberd on my midfield bench. This is all speculation until teamsheets come out, but it seems to me that 3-0-5 is stretched pretty thin with rookies right now, so 2-0-6 is a structure I haven't been toying around with much lately.

A couple notes: Jarrod Berry going down in preseason hurt (both for having defense rookies available and for not having someone to swing to the mids for Hibberd because none of these other rookies has DPP), but I guess he should be a good downgrade at some point. I also haven't really considered the more expensive guys like McGrath or even Keefe because I don't think the cash generation will be there. If you're considering them then you probably could go 2-0-6. TBH, though, I'd go midprice with Thurlow before McGrath, but I might be in the minority on that one.
What about Otten as well. I know things will all change when we know which rookies are selected for round 1 but they do look much better than the rooks on the other lines.

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Currently:
2/0/6
5/2/4
2/0/1
3/1/4

Feels like I currently have a midpricer too many and a primo not enough. I also think I might need to reduce my exposure to players with significant injury histories because I have more that a couple at the moment.

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
What about Otten as well. I know things will all change when we know which rookies are selected for round 1 but they do look much better than the rooks on the other lines.
Otten has to survive the inclusion of Lever...if he does then he's definitely worth selecting for sure.

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Currently:
2/0/6
5/2/4
2/0/1
3/1/4

Feels like I currently have a midpricer too many and a primo not enough. I also think I might need to reduce my exposure to players with significant injury histories because I have more that a couple at the moment.
This might make you feel better then
2/1/5
5/2/4
2/0/1
2/2/4

NOTE i have counted mid pricers between $450K and $250K

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
2/0/6
6/1/4
2/0/1
3/1/4

Don't like it but its this currently

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
2/0/6
5/2/4
2/0/1
3/0/5

Looks and feels all wrong. 2 midpricers in the midfield makes me very nervous.

Ramjets

Patron '20
Feb 5, 2016
3/0/5
5/2/4
2/0/1
2/1/4

Currently running 3 mid pricers, but until a few days ago I was strongly considering just 1, with a 6/1/4 midfield and a 2/0/6 forward line. Jaeger and Roughead's recent performances have forced a rethink for now, but I haven't ruled out returning to this.

Personally, I'm finding it hard to single out an obvious F3 premium option and thus leaning toward stacking the mids and backline. Rookie options will of course strongly dictate structure and it's important to have a degree of flexibility right up till lock out.

k-red17

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Jun 21, 2015
Currently:

4/0/4
4/1/6
2/0/1
4/0/4

(Counting Ryder and Heeney in my fwds as keepers). This gives me 14 guys from Round 1 who I won't trade unless through injury or pure shit form (There will no doubt be a few!)

Only mid pricer I have currently is Swallow.

32k in the bank. Only rookies I've spent abit on is Will Brodie @ 175k in the mids & Hampton @160k in the back line.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Sitting with:

3/0/5
5/1/4
1/1/1
2/1/5

Keeping it quite simple this year. Gun backs. Guns mids + Jaeger. Gawn/ Sandi. Dollhouse/ruck cover/ Roughy.

Putting up cash for rookies in the back line.

GeneralHodge

Feb 22, 2017
Sitting with:

3/0/5
5/1/4
1/1/1
2/1/5

Keeping it quite simple this year. Gun backs. Guns mids + Jaeger. Gawn/ Sandi. Dollhouse/ruck cover/ Roughy.

Putting up cash for rookies in the back line.
How are you finding 9 rookies in the forwards and mids.

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015

smirski

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Jun 5, 2015
Currently
3/0/5
5/1/4
2/0/1
2/1/5

But i feel like structure is all going to be dependant on what rookies are available round one. So it will probably change.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
How are you finding 9 rookies in the forwards and mids.
Mids shouldn't be too hard, it's not like I can field 8 non-rookies. SPP + whoever pops up round 1. Currently have Barrett, Hibberd, Graham.

Forwards also tricky, but again I think there'll be options and I've left enough money to spend a bit on them. Currently Schoey, JKH, Pickett, Black, Eddy.

Reactions: GeneralHodge