Rucks 2016

tiltraise

Development Coach
Nov 13, 2015
What are peoples thoughts on the lowish (non Goldy) ruck scores thus far?

Are we seeing fewer stoppages due to deliberate OOB interpretation forcing players to keep the ball alive more often?

If so does this increase the value of rucks who get less of their pts from hitouts?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong

Are we seeing fewer stoppages due to deliberate OOB interpretation forcing players to keep the ball alive more often?

If so does this increase the value of rucks who get less of their pts from hitouts?
The first few rounds last year were the same. I watched the game last night and 59 of goldys points came in the last quarter, and mostly from contested marks, intercept marks and a goal. Goes to show the value of ruckmen who can get around the ground like Goldy and Martin.

The change in rules may have some effect on the way rucks can score though, and may drop their ceiling a little. Conversely, youd imagine with the drop in rotations and no sub that they should spend a lot more time resting forward with a chance for scoreboard action. Even Sauce was playing full forward last night.

Reactions: tiltraise

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015

Captain Goldy next week is what my thoughts are... Still haven't seen Nic Nat play, in for a 125 I reckon

Reactions: cactus

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
I might be wrong but feel like tackle numbers might be down too.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
@Lowrider

NicNat played like he's a fair chance to beat your expectations but I tell you what ... your call on Hickey is looking very astute. You wrote: "By the way, if someone wants a mid-pricer I'd consider Hickey. Picked as a solo ruck this week with Longer nowhere in sight" and he went and knocked ou a quiet 157 round one ... impressive!

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
@Lowrider

NicNat played like he's a fair chance to beat your expectations but I tell you what ... your call on Hickey is looking very astute. You wrote: "By the way, if someone wants a mid-pricer I'd consider Hickey. Picked as a solo ruck this week with Longer nowhere in sight" and he went and knocked ou a quiet 157 round one ... impressive!
How many of those points were HOs to advantage though?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
@Lowrider

How many of those points were HOs to advantage though? I dont think he will get 50+ HOs a game

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Nic Nat played 67% gametime.

Goldy 92%
Jacobs 93%
Martin 94%
Gawn 88%

Really hope Nic Nat can increase that tank, because he'll be an absolute beast... Maybe because Lycett helps in the ruck, but I reckon Nic Nat's tank will increase throughout the season, to think there's upside on last night, is insane

Reactions: bat and Steve

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
@Lowrider

Hickey had a great game, but he only had Lobbe to contend with. Won't be the only to tear him a new one this year.

As for NicNat, not surprised to see him score well against Martin who isn't that great in the ruck contests. I'd wait and see what he does against the Hawks this week.

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
As for NicNat, not surprised to see him score well against Martin who isn't that great in the ruck contests. I'd wait and see what he does against the Hawks this week.
NicNat 153 from 67% TOG.

I know in the past NicNat hasn't achieved TOG as high as most of the other premium rucks but 67% is very low even by his standard. Makes you wonder what he could do against some of these sub par rucks like Martin if he could stay on the park a bit longer ...

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
Still, fair call by you. Plenty of tougher challenges coming up and I'm not expecting 153s every other week. At NicNat's starting price if he manages somewhere 110 I'll be very pleased.

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Off the top of my head I'd say Nic Nat topped his career average for hit outs, disposals, goals, flash in the pan or Sign of things to come?

Good Scot from Z Smith to start with but a worry that second half.