Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I got Kangert mainly because although he looks after Nibali he also finishes fairly close up a lot of the time.
Bakelants I already had. I had to keep one of my cheap picks and he seemed the best. The rest were out-and-out sprinters.

Reactions: Prospector

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
Bakelants may be an alright pick afterall because Bardet and Peraud are not in form.

Hopefully Sepulveda can hang on for a top 10/15. Hopefully Barguil's knee is fine too and he can earn points today.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Looks like it's Froome's to lose after that stage. Of course, it was only one climb and things may go differently in the next couple of days with multiple climbs but it doesn't seem likely.

Wondered if the Giro would take it out of Contador - it has in the past - but I did think that he wouldn't try if he wasn't in good shape. Maybe the chance to hold all 3 GTs meant his ego got the better of him. (In the nicest possible way. Not knocking Contador.)

Adam Yates did good.

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
Contador has won all 3 GT's. :p

Sky are cheating bastards though. Not even Lance Armstrong's domestiques were like that. Thomas killing the entire peloton and then finishing with top climbers. Porte doing work and then coming 2nd. Froome dominating. Sky could podium if they worked for each other to podium.

Impressed with Gallopin. Downside is that he won't be allowed to get into a break though. Great ride by Gesink. Good to see him back to his best. Monitor this week but it looks like Rodriguez will go out for Gesink/Van Garderen in my team. Might think about bringing in Adam Yates. He's far down on GC so he can go in breaks and he's strong enough to top 15 on stages that won't go to breaks.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Sorry, wasn't clear enough: Contador has the chance to hold the slam - all 3 at the same time. Don't know if anyone has done that. Have they, do you know? Did the great Eddie Merckx?

Did think of Gesink but at 5m was a little too much for a guy who has the pedigree but hasn't really performed for a couple of years. And he seems to prefer the Vuelta.

Have you thought of Rolland? Raced the Giro last year and so found the Tour too hard. No Giro this year and bound to try for at least one break-away. He's also far enough back that they might let him go.

I hope it doesn't turn into a Sky procession. Gets rather boring.

Last edited:

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
Nah Rupert. That's physically impossible to do the triple in the one year. The most people have done is two.

A lot of the great riders have done the Giro/Tour double but it's really really really hard to do it nowadays. The Giro/Vuelta double can be done and I'm surprised it's not done more often than it is. Contador should abandon the TDF right now, and focus on the Vuelta and he might be able to do that again.

Here's the list for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_of_Cycling

I have thought of Rolland. He's in some hot form. He's one of the riders I'm thinking about bringing in on Saturday.

If anyone wants to get Pinot, wait until next week. He's come out and said he plans to recover ahead of the third week. So he won't be doing anything special over the next two stages I don't think.

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
I'm now wondering if Greipel is going to win the Green Jersey and if it's worth keeping Sagan. It's a toss of the coin I think. You would think Sagan will go into breaks now that it's over for Contador. So hopefully Sagan can pick the jersey back up.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks for that Grater: Triple Crown is better than grand slam. I knew it had a name but I just couldn't remember it last night.

Are the points for the green worth keeping Sagan? yes, points for winning it back but those for keeping it? Was it me I would keep him until after Stage 15, the next sprint stage. Stage 14 might suit Sagan also.

16th is still pretty good, I reckon.

Grater

Development Coach
Jul 4, 2015
Yeah there's a few that suit Sagan so he's worth keeping in.

Fuglsang is Astana's leader now.

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
Annoying that Sagan lost the green after I kept him just for those points.

It needs to be said that I have led this league every day so far.

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
Moama Maulers might be hard to hold off for the victory and Cavalier Roundheads also a chance.

Cool9

Assistant Coach
Apr 27, 2015
I'm an absolute Ashes tragic and can't be the only one on here. However, I'm not starting a topic until Aussies turn up to play. Too painful otherwise. Let's go Marsh.

Reactions: Prospector

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
You might never start an Ashes forum, I'm afraid, Cool 9.
The Poms will be sure to prepare pitches that are totally unsuited to fast bowling so our main weapons will be blunted.
Our blokes will get frustrated and that will be that.
Hope not though as I, too, am an Ashes tragic but I don't have much hope.

If you're not into Le tour there is always the British Open at the home of golf. If you have Foxtel.