Too early for trades?? Thoughts?

oilersfan99

Mar 16, 2016
I only have 3 players to ask advice about.
Fyfe, Shaw and Barlow
Too early to look for trades or a trade on any of these guys?
Straight swap for dangerfield is a possibility.
A down grade to Johannisen or weitering?
And Martin for papley or someone else?
Would appreciate any input.
Cheers!!

Sizza

Aspiring Coach
Apr 25, 2015
Too early for all of them in my opinion.
Think back to why you actually picked them in the first place....because they're premiums.
Fyfe: You're talking about the Brownlow medalist and the best player in the comp here, yes he could be slightly injured but with all that said and done he is going to be in the top 10 midfielders for the year, have to hold.
Shaw: Had 30 touches for the match!! Was only the fact that he went at 50% efficiency and a couple of costly clangers (8 for the match) which got him the 87. He goes at 75% then you're talking a 120+ game.
Barlow: Freo wont lose like that every week and Sandi is back this week. Still managed 22 touches and again was let down by disposal efficiency (63%) and 4 clangers. See how he goes this week.

Just my opinion but worth thinking about it a little deeper than deciding to ditch the guys after a week.

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
Hold off for another week on trades unless you have a lot of major problems that you think you'll definitely need to use two trades next week.

In terms of rookies, it gives you another good look at everyone before the first price rise.

In terms of premiums, remember that you selected them to be kept throughout the year and this factors in their low games. A few premiums started with low games but if they've got a proven track record then back then in.

Reactions: cactus

Haychh

Assistant Coach
Mar 9, 2016
You fork out that sort of dough for Shaw you've gotta stuck with him, same deal with Fyfe and getting rid of a proven elite premium mid after 1 lean weak is ridiculous... Golden rule is no trades after round 1 apart from long term injuries

oilersfan99

Mar 16, 2016
Too early for all of them in my opinion.
Think back to why you actually picked them in the first place....because they're premiums.
Fyfe: You're talking about the Brownlow medalist and the best player in the comp here, yes he could be slightly injured but with all that said and done he is going to be in the top 10 midfielders for the year, have to hold.
Shaw: Had 30 touches for the match!! Was only the fact that he went at 50% efficiency and a couple of costly clangers (8 for the match) which got him the 87. He goes at 75% then you're talking a 120+ game.
Barlow: Freo wont lose like that every week and Sandi is back this week. Still managed 22 touches and again was let down by disposal efficiency (63%) and 4 clangers. See how he goes this week.

Just my opinion but worth thinking about it a little deeper than deciding to ditch the guys after a week.

Thanks mate. appreciate the advice.
Also worried that i have at this point missed out on a couple of potentially huge cash cows in: Weitering and Papley. What do you think i should do about them?
Cheers

Brky

Aspiring Coach
Jun 12, 2015
Premiums are premiums I agree. I wouldn't be trading any of the guys mentioned so far. I swapped gawn into my team on Saturday for nic nat who I had had all preseason, not happy so far but it's a long season. I won't be correcting those kinda guys.

But what about the breakout types, I got JJ which is good buy I also have Greene instead of Hall.

Now, I know Hall played the bombers and GWS shouldve done better. But I was kinda pushed into Greene with all the written hype over Hall and was never really happy with the pick.

Do I ride it out or is this kind of correction ok? Probably next week if at all, not this week.

Reactions: Prospector

Fitzroy Guerrilla

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 27, 2015
Richmond
@Brky I'd probably give the Greene/Hall situation another week.

If Hall has another belter he will be hard to resist. Don't forget though, he could well be shut down against a tough Fremantle, without it really being a true representation of how he'll track for the rest of the year.

Greene could still come good as well. It's hard making these calls on fringe premiums with so little information at this stage of the year, so it's a gamble one way or the other.

Reactions: Prospector

Dino

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Apr 24, 2015
Alexandra, Victoria
Absolutely do not trade this week unless you have LTI. Sizza summed it up perfectly.

Thinking about trading Fyfe, Shaw or Barlow is ludicrous.

The only thing you have missed with Weitering or Papley are their scores. Prices don't change yet. Swans still have a few to come back. How would you feel if you traded in Papley only to see him not selected next week.

Reactions: Brad and M4TT B8S

M4TT B8S

Senior Coach
May 25, 2015
Absolutely do not trade this week unless you have LTI. Sizza summed it up perfectly.

The only thing you have missed with Weitering or Papley are their scores. Prices don't change yet. Swans still have a few to come back. How would you feel if you traded in Papley only to see him not selected next week.
100% agree, also first week has the least effect on price changes out of all weeks... Wouldn't want to pick him up for that 100+ score then have him score 50 over the next 2 weeks and then get dropped and be a shit cash cow (what I think will/could happen)

Reactions: cactus and Danz

oilersfan99

Mar 16, 2016

What or who is LTI??

Brky

Aspiring Coach
Jun 12, 2015
100% agree, also first week has the least effect on price changes out of all weeks... Wouldn't want to pick him up for that 100+ score then have him score 50 over the next 2 weeks and then get dropped and be a shit cash cow (what I think will/could happen)
I wasn't planning to trade this week. I was more asking a general question about when and if it's ok to trade speculative premiums vs selected keepers. I probably didn't word it right.

More like this. I wouldn't trade pendles or fyfe or heater if they got a sub 90 again this week. But I would consider greene or wines if they went poorly again for a correction to a hall type if he went well

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
I have all of Fyfe, Barlow and Shaw and I certainly won't be trading them. If Fyfe posts another 61 this week I'll have an interesting call to make this week ... having said that I already have Danger who looks like he is going to smash it this year so I can understand the temptation there.

I have Weitering but at 220 I don't think he's an absolute must have. As long as you have most of the good rooks you don't need them all. I'm missing Papley and Dunkley at the moment. May do a correction to get one of them in next week depending on scores and selection (Milera on notice).

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
@Brky
Like the other responders I usually don't like the idea of swapping a primo or speculative mid pricer on a single week of form ... but if I had Greene instead of Hall (I don't) I reckon I'd be pretty tempted. There seem to be rumours floating around that Greene won't make the final team this week which could give you the perfect excuse to make the change with a clear conscience ...

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
DE% has seemed more important than ever pre-season and R1, though I might be going crazy as no one else seems to think the same.

Reactions: Dino