The players role vs their SC score

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Two games in I think a lot of us are getting sucked into individual scores as opposed to the players role in the team which will ultimately dictate the players average..
My observations so far

Docherty: Loved his role on Thursday night. Still the half back general and pushed up at time to the wing. Only concern is the blues didn't play that chip chip switch play style of football they had such a high focus on last year

Simpson: See Doc

Nank: Played no1 ruck but Griffiths chipped out a lot. Also remember that he was only up against Kreuzer..

Marchbank: Gun. Played loose man often. Intercept marking is his strong suit which is perfect for SC. will average 75-80.

Adams: Looks set for a massive year playing inside mid.

JJ: played half back/wing/half forward. In a team that wins a lot of ball he is set for a massive year. Freedom to roam which means big SC points.

Dahlhaus: played predominantly midfield, took a cheap hit from Varcoe early and still scored well. No concerns here.

Macrae: Loved his role. Played wing pushing back to rack up touches.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Two games in I think a lot of us are getting sucked into individual scores as opposed to the players role in the team which will ultimately dictate the players average..
My observations so far

Docherty: Loved his role on Thursday night. Still the half back general and pushed up at time to the wing. Only concern is the blues didn't play that chip chip switch play style of football they had such a high focus on last year

Simpson: See Doc

Nank: Played no1 ruck but Griffiths chipped out a lot. Also remember that he was only up against Kreuzer..

Marchbank: Gun. Played loose man often. Intercept marking is his strong suit which is perfect for SC. will average 75-80.

Adams: Looks set for a massive year playing inside mid.

JJ: played half back/wing/half forward. In a team that wins a lot of ball he is set for a massive year. Freedom to roam which means big SC points.

Dahlhaus: played predominantly midfield, took a cheap hit from Varcoe early and still scored well. No concerns here.

Macrae: Loved his role. Played wing pushing back to rack up touches.
Spot on. Just because some of these guys didn't hit their average from last year or what they're priced at (looking at you Doc), it doesn't make them a poor selection. 91 for Doc this week backed up with a 130 next week (which he is more than capable of) sits him at 110 and you're no worse off. Its a long season, everyone always gets caught up in week 1 scores.

With Macrae, I was happy with his role but he frustrated me at times. Wasn't willing to put in an extra step or two to get to a contest or gave up when he thought he was out of it, only to have the ball slow down and be exactly where he should have been rather than 3m off it. Maybe I was just watching him closer than others as he was one of my picks I wasnt so sure about. My other 50/50 (that I didnt end up taking) was Adams so it burned me both ways.