Suggestion for next show

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
Really like the podcast.

Where's the most appropriate area to post questions/comments for the next show?

My thoughts for the next show are around getting your on field vs emergency rookie selections right. I had hannan and butler on the bench and some insight around who's the best to have onfield based on the players role would be really helpful.

Next up is the dreaded sideways premium trade. This has a bit of a twist though, and it's along the lines of the above. For example, Laird - did he just have a great game or has his role changed so significantly we should be getting him at all costs before the price rise? What about Dusty & heppel? Pendles vs Treloar too. Looks like i should have stuck to historical scoring on that one.

Interesting discussion points for the forum and show i reckon.

Reactions: tiltraise

Fbdonkey

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Victoria
Thanks for your input. This is as good a place as any to put these questions. We normally put a call out on social media for questions on a Tuesday morning.

The short answer to your questions are:
a) rookie selection can be a bit of a minefield and there is a lot of luck involved - especially round 1. Well done on getting Butler and Hannan in your team.
b) Dont read too much into round 1. The scoring could easily flip around as early as this week.

Reactions: Prospector

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Really like the podcast.

Where's the most appropriate area to post questions/comments for the next show?

My thoughts for the next show are around getting your on field vs emergency rookie selections right. I had hannan and butler on the bench and some insight around who's the best to have onfield based on the players role would be really helpful.

Next up is the dreaded sideways premium trade. This has a bit of a twist though, and it's along the lines of the above. For example, Laird - did he just have a great game or has his role changed so significantly we should be getting him at all costs before the price rise? What about Dusty & heppel? Pendles vs Treloar too. Looks like i should have stuck to historical scoring on that one.

Interesting discussion points for the forum and show i reckon.

Rule number 1 in SC
1) DO NOT TRADE PREMIUMS

Laird was amazing but more than likely Docherty could bob up this week with a 130 and Laird gets tagged and goes 80...

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
unless LTI
Yeah i'm with you guys but the discussion point is this; sure if laird is in the same role than hold fast with Docherty - NO SIDEWAYS TRADE.

Agreed. However what i'm saying is it's worth discussing if perhaps Docherty and/or Laird's role has changed enough to believe that Docherty will not continue to score well, or Lairds has changed enough to believe he will continue to score say 105-110. I know he's not gonna get 42 possessions every week. Hanging onto a players role that has changed can be a trap as well...

Just saying...

and the other point was analysing which rookies appear to have a SC friendly role. I don't watch every one so thought it might be good to give people the heads up on which rookies have a SC friendly role. I know they'll be up and down etc, they're rookies.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
If you have Eddy and Butler here's what I think:

R1 - Butler v Carlton
R2 - Eddy v Freo at AO
R3 - a wash
R4 - Butler v Brisbane
R5 - Eddy v Carlton
R6 - Eddy v Brisbane
R7 - upgrade?

Reactions: Steve

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
If you have Eddy and Butler here's what I think:

R1 - Butler v Carlton
R2 - Eddy v Freo at AO
R3 - a wash
R4 - Butler v Brisbane
R5 - Eddy v Carlton
R6 - Eddy v Brisbane
R7 - upgrade?

right so you're going on opposition more than whether the role is SC friendly or not. Fair call but more work lol. That's gonna take a lot more analysis for each rookie and their opposition. Yeouch but good call.

cactus

Senior Coach
May 6, 2015
Melbourne
right so you're going on opposition more than whether the role is SC friendly or not. Fair call but more work lol. That's gonna take a lot more analysis for each rookie and their opposition. Yeouch but good call.
I probably take this approach more for forward line players than for back but, yeah, if I'm putting a rookie forward in the field I'd like it to be a game I think their team can win and hopefully win well.

Reactions: Prospector

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah i'm with you guys but the discussion point is this; sure if laird is in the same role than hold fast with Docherty - NO SIDEWAYS TRADE.

Agreed. However what i'm saying is it's worth discussing if perhaps Docherty and/or Laird's role has changed enough to believe that Docherty will not continue to score well, or Lairds has changed enough to believe he will continue to score say 105-110. I know he's not gonna get 42 possessions every week. Hanging onto a players role that has changed can be a trap as well...

Just saying...

and the other point was analysing which rookies appear to have a SC friendly role. I don't watch every one so thought it might be good to give people the heads up on which rookies have a SC friendly role. I know they'll be up and down etc, they're rookies.

The way I see it is that Docherty is a better user of the ball than Laird and he will score higher as the season pans out.. Here's why..

Docherty scored 91 from 24 touches which is 3.7 points per possession (ppp) *note - Docherty had an off game and turned it over a few times which he rarely does
Last year he averaged 108 from 25 touches a game which equates to 4.3 ppp

Laird scored 147 from his 40 touches which is 3.6 ppp. *note - this was a career best game for Laird and he got scaled up quite significantly as he scored his points before the game was over.
Last year Laird averaged 97 from 27 touches a game which is 3.5 ppp

I love watching Laird play however he is not as effective with his touches and hence, I believe, will not average as highly as Docherty.

Sleeprequired

Mar 27, 2017
The way I see it is that Docherty is a better user of the ball than Laird and he will score higher as the season pans out.. Here's why..

Docherty scored 91 from 24 touches which is 3.7 points per possession (ppp) *note - Docherty had an off game and turned it over a few times which he rarely does
Last year he averaged 108 from 25 touches a game which equates to 4.3 ppp

Laird scored 147 from his 40 touches which is 3.6 ppp. *note - this was a career best game for Laird and he got scaled up quite significantly as he scored his points before the game was over.
Last year Laird averaged 97 from 27 touches a game which is 3.5 ppp

I love watching Laird play however he is not as effective with his touches and hence, I believe, will not average as highly as Docherty.
That's great analysis and providing their roles haven't changed I totally agree. My question was more around has Lairds role fundamentally changed? Conversely could perhaps Docherty's role have changed?

If you're saying their roles haven't changed then i totally agree.

Ice Cold Beverage

Aspiring Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Jan 24, 2017
Melbourne
That's great analysis and providing their roles haven't changed I totally agree. My question was more around has Lairds role fundamentally changed? Conversely could perhaps Docherty's role have changed?

If you're saying their roles haven't changed then i totally agree.

I do t think either of their roles have changed.
Potentially what you could see is Carlton being a bit more direct as opposed to chopping the ball around the backline which could reduce Docs average..
Adelaide, with their forward line, will want to at every possible chance will get it up the ground as quick as possible which will mean Laird won't get as much cheap ball in the back half.