Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I'm thinking of trying to head a similar way and go heavier on forward rookies than I already am. Not sure I can bring myself to go 2-0-6 though. I can't remember a year where we had so many viable forward rookies.

Reactions: cactus

Hondo

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 28, 2015
Sorry, I was adding to my previous post I have Goldy, Tippett and Danger. I'll just post it, just the standard names at this stage.

D: Boyd, Laird, Bartel, Birch, Sheridan, R x 3
M: Fyfe, Danger, Ablett, Pendles, Rocky, Libba, R x 5
R: Goldy, Tippett, R/F
F: Martin, Barlow, R x 5

I have $50K spare and Gawn to your Tippett yet somehow you've got Sheridan at D5 to my $117K rookie. You've even got Boyd to my Simpson which evens out Gawn/Tippett. It's rookies as you first said. It's amazing that all adds up to Sheridan but I guess it is only $230K and if you have skipped Wells that would explain it.

Now you will tell me you have Wells :p

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
I have $50K spare and Gawn to your Tippett yet somehow you've got Sheridan at D5 to my $117K rookie. You've even got Boyd to my Simpson which evens out Gawn/Tippett. It's rookies as you first said. It's amazing that all adds up to Sheridan but I guess it is only $230K and if you have skipped Wells that would explain it.

Now you will tell me you have Wells :p
No Wells in this side haha. I have MacPherson and Tippa as basement rookies in this side too.
I'm still shaky on this structure as it relies a lot on the likes of McCarthy/Menadue being definite best 22 starters. Hopefully they are! Wells adds that extra JS.

Hondo

Staff member
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 28, 2015
No Wells in this side haha. I have MacPherson and Tippa as basement rookies in this side too.
I'm still shaky on this structure as it relies a lot on the likes of McCarthy/Menadue being definite best 22 starters. Hopefully they are! Wells adds that extra JS.

Yes I am spreading the rookie spend around a bit more for that extra comfort they will play. I do like Kennedy and Wells even though that's costing me $200Kish more than you have spent in those spots. I actually downgraded from Mills-->Kennedy to free up some $.

Past experience says don't leave yourself no cash and only based priced rookies because it can be limiting if you want to do rookie corrections. The one year I did this I ended up correcting two bad rookies to another 2 rookies who at least were playing (and at the same base price) but were still not great. In the long run I was behind because others got better rookies at correction time from paying more.

Your team is 15 keepers deep which is the most people seem to ever get to in a starting side. I am one less unless Wells can be a keeper.

jibba

Senior Coach
Veterans
May 8, 2015
Yes I am spreading the rookie spend around a bit more for that extra comfort they will play. I do like Kennedy and Wells even though that's costing me $200Kish more than you have spent in those spots. I actually downgraded from Mills-->Kennedy to free up some $.

Past experience says don't leave yourself no cash and only based priced rookies because it can be limiting if you want to do rookie corrections. The one year I did this I ended up correcting two bad rookies to another 2 rookies who at least were playing (and at the same base price) but were still not great. In the long run I was behind because others got better rookies at correction time from paying more.

Your team is 15 keepers deep which is the most people seem to ever get to in a starting side. I am one less unless Wells can be a keeper.
I agree with you. Better to have a must have rookie over a speculative keeper. I will probably cut Sheridan if a must have 90 averaging 200k option like Cripps, Tyson of previous years pops up. I don't quite see those types at the moment. Wells is the closest at this stage and he hasn't even played a NAB game! I don't think Mills is that much of a must have either.

bat

Development Coach
Feb 11, 2016
Ugh, it is so hard to drop one of the big 6 (Fyfe, Pendles, Libba, Rocky, Danger, Gaz) especially when you're keen on another player at $550k. The problem is team structure starts to suffer if you add a 7th. Unless a minor miracle occurs and the rookie ruck options firm up, I'll probably have to stick with 5+Libba

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
Have stripped my Def and Fwd back a bit feels a bit wrong but...

2-2-4
6-1-4
2-0-1
2-2-4

Thunderstruck

Aspiring Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
May 1, 2015
Just not sure whether to go Libba at M6 and have 2 of Mills/Oliver/Parish or go for Libba at M5 and have all 3.

At the moment, in my mind it's basically:

Priddis + Parker + Simpson (Libba at M6)

vs

Shaw + Fyfe + Oliver + 165k left (Libba at M5)

Is anyone convinced starting 3 rookies on the field in the mids is worth it? Or too risky?

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015
Just not sure whether to go Libba at M6 and have 2 of Mills/Oliver/Parish or go for Libba at M5 and have all 3.

vs

Is anyone convinced starting 3 rookies on the field in the mids is worth it? Or too risky?
Do you mean Simpkin or Simpson?

Lowrider

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 7, 2015
Curious to see what numbers of PODs people have. In my side on the ground currently (excluding rookies who are subject to a lot of change) I have:
Owned 0-4% - 4
4-6% - 4
6-10% - 1
10-20% - 6
20-30% - 1
>30% - 3

It's nice to be different, but just wonder if I'm going a bit too exotic?

Tono

Triple Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Curious to see what numbers of PODs people have. In my side on the ground currently (excluding rookies who are subject to a lot of change) I have:
Owned 0-4% - 4
4-6% - 4
6-10% - 1
10-20% - 6
20-30% - 1
>30% - 3

It's nice to be different, but just wonder if I'm going a bit too exotic?
8 under 6% might be pushing it. There would be varying levels of risk involved.

If some of those 8 are your 'Priddis' types who are proven but not popular it could work out.

I'm quite tight with my starting squad and would only consider two unproven players under 8% ownership. If they don't work out your not over exposed.

If 4 or 5 don't work out your busting your chops to fix things whilst others are banking trades and improving their teams.

*if you get them all right you'll win the 50k!

Last edited:

tabs

Senior Coach
Aug 10, 2015

vs

It would depend on what Mids are named R1. MIlls and Gresham will score ok but now Mathieson got hit this arvo and didnt return. Not too sure if there is another mid rookie out there that looks the goods

Reactions: currymunchers

Tevez17

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
May 7, 2015
What do the lads and lasses on here think of

3-1-2 (the 1 being one of Sheridan, Lonergan, Rich or Smith)
4-2-5 (Wells one of 5)
2-0-1
2-2-4

Is the money spread to thin with this setup, have been going heavy in the mids but with the poor state of Def rookies would like to have an extra premo back there.

currymunchers

Premiership Coach
Patron '19
Patron '20
Veterans
Apr 24, 2015
Melbourne
What do the lads and lasses on here think of

3-1-2 (the 1 being one of Sheridan, Lonergan, Rich or Smith)
4-2-5 (Wells one of 5)
2-0-1
2-2-4

Is the money spread to thin with this setup, have been going heavy in the mids but with the poor state of Def rookies would like to have an extra premo back there.

I actually think the defender rookies are solid. The only locks we have in the midfield seem to be Mills and Davis - Gresham only played the 2nd half today, Matheison may have a broken cheekbone and the others are probably unlikely to be named round 1. In defence we have Weitering, the bomber rookies (Dea, Brown, Hartley and Tippa) along with decent options such as Broad and Adams. I've got Mills at M8 in my current structure!