Pre Season chat

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
Can you go without a genuine back up ruck on the bench and without a DPP backup ruck in your fwd line?

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
Can you go without a genuine back up ruck on the bench and without a DPP backup ruck in your fwd line?

I've done it and it didn't work out well.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Over the years there's been enough DPP or bench rucks that I've looked at and thought "nah, they won't play, everyone's getting sucked in" and avoided them. These have included Gawn, Stef Martin, Mason Cox and Nicnat early on in their careers when their selections were make or break.

That said, this year is terrible for DPP or bench. I still have no idea how to approach it.

Reactions: TomCat

AlLewis

Aspiring Coach
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Mar 16, 2017
It's a really tough one. How many of the DPP rucks are guaranteed a game each week. Stanley, Cox, McKernan, Smith? That's a lot of money to spend to either sit on your bench or give you a crap score on field... Save the money and add an extra ultra premium. After 5 rounds you will probably have scored 100+ more points than if you had played safe with an extra back up crap ruck. If your ruck goes down burn a trade or worst case cop a zero and you'll probably be even on points anyway. Make sense?

TomCat

Dual Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
.. Save the money and add an extra ultra premium. After 5 rounds you will probably have scored 100+ more points than if you had played safe with an extra back up crap ruck. If your ruck goes down burn a trade or worst case cop a zero and you'll probably be even on points anyway. Make sense?

Sounds good in theory but what if your ruck gets injured in the first qtr and drops heaps in price resulting in you having to make 2 trades to get a decent replacement. Another scenario is you decide to cop the zero because he's expected to be back the following the week and then you learn at the last minute he wont be playing again. They may sound unlikely but it can happen ... I've suffered through both scenarios. :(

Reactions: Steve

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
You could theoretically go English and Frampton...both should get games this year but I doubt Rd1. It's a waste of a forward rookie spot if they just sit there and you'd have to cross your fingers that one of them is available at the right time; so it's probably a no for me. This lack of ruck cover is going to make it really hard to pick Nic Nat. I am seriously looking at paying for Kreuzer.

Reactions: AlLewis

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
You could theoretically go English and Frampton...both should get games this year but I doubt Rd1. It's a waste of a forward rookie spot if they just sit there and you'd have to cross your fingers that one of them is available at the right time; so it's probably a no for me. This lack of ruck cover is going to make it really hard to pick Nic Nat. I am seriously looking at paying for Kreuzer.
I think as round 1 gets closer, a lot of people will go cold on Nicnat and be scrambling to find an extra 50k-80k to fill that R2 spot. Im running with a Gawn-stein combo at the moment and it doesn't look too bad. I think Goldy bottomed out last year so he can only get better. With the lack of ruck cover, Ryder rules himself out due to the stand alone bye. No one else is screaming "pick me".

doddy2731

5-Time Premiership Coach
Veterans
Apr 30, 2015
Southern Riverine
I think as round 1 gets closer, a lot of people will go cold on Nicnat and be scrambling to find an extra 50k-80k to fill that R2 spot. Im running with a Gawn-stein combo at the moment and it doesn't look too bad. I think Goldy bottomed out last year so he can only get better. With the lack of ruck cover, Ryder rules himself out due to the stand alone bye. No one else is screaming "pick me".
Agree, to many ?? with NN.
I'm running Sauce/Gawn atm, in the hope durability of Sauce and the scoring power of Gawn is enough for S&F rucks.

Last edited:

Seppo

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Feb 16, 2016
I just don't think Goldy will be a solo ruck and I can't pick a ruck who's not solo. With Ryder and Witts having the early bye, that really only leaves me to pick 2 out of Gawn, Kreuzer, Sauce and a few other rucks I don't want to pick (ie Bellchambers).

GMAT

Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Mar 3, 2016
What’s the thoughts with Dawson Simpson is he any chance of getting more games this year now mummy is gone, he went ok last night albeit without lobbe. But at 290k is he an option as a r2, to get us by till after Ryder bye or a clear no 2 ruck option appears. And in the meantime hopefully making a bit of coin along the way aswell as being serviceable ruck similar to a Witts from last year?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
What’s the thoughts with Dawson Simpson is he any chance of getting more games this year now mummy is gone, he went ok last night albeit without lobbe. But at 290k is he an option as a r2, to get us by till after Ryder bye or a clear no 2 ruck option appears. And in the meantime hopefully making a bit of coin along the way aswell as being serviceable ruck similar to a Witts from last year?
IMO he's only worthwhile if he's rucking solo until the bye. I don't know for sure but I think Lobb is only looking like missing the first week or two. You'd hate to have Simpson at R2 only for him to be dropped in round 4 once Lobb is back in. More headaches than what it's worth for mine.

Reactions: GMAT and Nicko

luke394

Development Coach
Patron '17
Patron '18
Apr 28, 2015
Geelong, VIC
I have been toying with the same strategy mate & getting Ryder after his bye, would be great if we knew that DS was gonna ruck solo if not its looking more and more like we are going to have to pay for 2 premo's with crap R3 cover

Reactions: GMAT

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
I have been toying with the same strategy mate & getting Ryder after his bye, would be great if we knew that DS was gonna ruck solo if not its looking more and more like we are going to have to pay for 2 premo's with crap R3 cover
Have you thought of Lycett?

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Yeah Lycett could be an option has a good bye as well. Maybe thinking him and Vardy will split the ruck duties if Nic Nat isn't fit.
They think Vardy suffered an addductor strain in a practice match on the week-end. Which means he should be out for a month or more.
So with all the NicNat problems there is a good chance Lycett will be sole or main ruck at the start of the season.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-05/big-eagle-facing-a-month-out-nic-nat-racing-clock

Reactions: Prospector

keffa

Legendary Coach
Staff member
Veterans
Apr 23, 2015
They think Vardy suffered an addductor strain in a practice match on the week-end. Which means he should be out for a month or more.
So with all the NicNat problems there is a good chance Lycett will be sole or main ruck at the start of the season.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-05/big-eagle-facing-a-month-out-nic-nat-racing-clock
Lycett's a real tricky one..... he's going to be R2 in some teams, R3 in others, and not in other teams at all. You can make a case for all 3.

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Lycett's a real tricky one..... he's going to be R2 in some teams, R3 in others, and not in other teams at all. You can make a case for all 3.
Not for R1?

Rupert

6-Time Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
Veterans
May 2, 2015
Brisbane
Who's your R2 if Lycett is your R1?
Simpson? ;):Do_O
No, I can't argue for Lycett as R1 with a straight face. I reckon Gawn should be in close to 100% of teams and those who don't have him are just being contrary.