Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
I usually have the confidence to go ahead with the trades I come up with, even if they're not what I had in mind. But now Im not sure if im panicking or setting up well for the next few weeks. So here comes the extended "thinking out loud" rant.

I had planned on going Gaz to either Sidey or Pendles this week, leaving me with 2 trades on the way home but with average bench cover (def - Edwards and C. Byrne, Mid - Steele, Amon, Walsh, Ruck - Obrien, Fwd - Dale, Mckernan). A few spanners got thrown in this week. I took a punt a few weeks ago and decided to run with Oxley at D6 for the season. I figured an 80 average against trading in for a possible 90 average wasnt worth it. Mckernans JS is all of a sudden non-existant, and even if he was only good for 60 a week then at least I knew I could rely on him getting a game. All that is out the window now.

I think Im looking at going Gaz to Goddard, and Mckernan to Higgins. This leaves me a bit of cash to play with for my last remaining trade, means that I have an extra DPP link in the mids, and that I essentially have Oxley covering both forward and back. Goddard and Higgins both have a great draw from here and should average 105 and 95 repsectively. 200 points a week on field as opposed to Pendles (115 avg) and Oxley (80 avg), greater flexibility and coverage, but taking me down to one trade. It makes a lot of sense to me to set up this way because the carnage will come and the difference between 1 trade and 2 trades over the next 5 weeks probably isnt much. But the flexibility and coverage it gives me could be worth much more than that.

TL;DR. Give me some thoughts people. Tell me Im losing it and to save my trades. Tell me its a masterstroke. Tell me to get a life. Anything!

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
I usually have the confidence to go ahead with the trades I come up with, even if they're not what I had in mind. But now Im not sure if im panicking or setting up well for the next few weeks. So here comes the extended "thinking out loud" rant.

I had planned on going Gaz to either Sidey or Pendles this week, leaving me with 2 trades on the way home but with average bench cover (def - Edwards and C. Byrne, Mid - Steele, Amon, Walsh, Ruck - Obrien, Fwd - Dale, Mckernan). A few spanners got thrown in this week. I took a punt a few weeks ago and decided to run with Oxley at D6 for the season. I figured an 80 average against trading in for a possible 90 average wasnt worth it. Mckernans JS is all of a sudden non-existant, and even if he was only good for 60 a week then at least I knew I could rely on him getting a game. All that is out the window now.

I think Im looking at going Gaz to Goddard, and Mckernan to Higgins. This leaves me a bit of cash to play with for my last remaining trade, means that I have an extra DPP link in the mids, and that I essentially have Oxley covering both forward and back. Goddard and Higgins both have a great draw from here and should average 105 and 95 repsectively. 200 points a week on field as opposed to Pendles (115 avg) and Oxley (80 avg), greater flexibility and coverage, but taking me down to one trade. It makes a lot of sense to me to set up this way because the carnage will come and the difference between 1 trade and 2 trades over the next 5 weeks probably isnt much. But the flexibility and coverage it gives me could be worth much more than that.

TL;DR. Give me some thoughts people. Tell me Im losing it and to save my trades. Tell me its a masterstroke. Tell me to get a life. Anything!
I like it Steve. First thought best thought. I suppose your plan needs to be based on what your aim is league or overall. Either way a sound thought process in my opinion.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Thanks Juddy. I've got an eye on leagues now. I've been hovering between 3k and 4.5k since the first week of byes so I've resigned myself to finishing around there. Definitely going ahead with these trades. Tried a few other things before lockout and this by far works best for team structure while not sacrificing on field points.

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
Thanks Juddy. I've got an eye on leagues now. I've been hovering between 3k and 4.5k since the first week of byes so I've resigned myself to finishing around there. Definitely going ahead with these trades. Tried a few other things before lockout and this by far works best for team structure while not sacrificing on field points.
Did you bite the bullet and make the trades Steve?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Did you bite the bullet and make the trades Steve?
Sure did. Was concerned when Higgins was on 23 mid way thru the second but he was everywhere after that. Now watch BJ come out with a 40!

thejuddernaut

Senior Coach
Apr 26, 2015
Perth
Sure did. Was concerned when Higgins was on 23 mid way thru the second but he was everywhere after that. Now watch BJ come out with a 40!
Good work. Gotta go with gut. I find its right more often than not. Do you have Beams in your side?

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Good work. Gotta go with gut. I find its right more often than not. Do you have Beams in your side?
Thankfully no. Got Rockliff so I'm not exactly annoyed with Beams missing. Would be a killer for teams that had both Gaz and Beams though.

Steve

Premiership Coach
Patron '16
Patron '17
Patron '18
Patron '19
Patron '20
Patron '21
May 4, 2015
Geelong
Yeah Ollie went down about 2 mins after I typed that. I think I jinxed myself! His injury has cost me 2500 too. Hopefully it's not too serious....